User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm going to post a picture of an ancient soothsayer on your wall.
And I'm going to post an 80s music video that's a bigger trainwreck than me. And possibly a greater tranwreck than Jan Terri but in a much more loveable way.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

I need home remedies for a dry cough before I hack a lung up.

(I have been taking Mucinex for about a week now and some over the counter cough syrup. Nothing is working.)
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I need home remedies for a dry cough before I hack a lung up.

(I have been taking Mucinex for about a week now and some over the counter cough syrup. Nothing is working.)
You might need some cough syrup with codeine before you break a rib.

In the meantime, boil a big wide pot of water or tea, & put your face over it, breathing in the steam with each inhalation.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What's in my cup?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Well, technically, it's my foster parents that do it. When they stopped doing foster care, they decided to do something different, and tried foreign exchange.

We had no idea what we were getting into when Zheng showed up, lol. He just ended up being so damn awesome, it was an insane experience. He had only three words of English - "okay," "black" and "blue" (the colors of his suitcases) - when we picked him up, but after about 3 days, he was speaking in complete sentences. Scary smart, even if he accidentally picked up some of the Pittsburghese (please picture a boy with a VERY heavy Chinese accent informing you he accidentally walked into a jaggerbush on the way home from school, and do we have any band-aids?). He's got the most bizarre sense of humor, and I love him to bits.

So yeah, Zheng was so damn awesome, we were like, let's do that again, so we've had two more Chinese dudes since then. The other two, Xiao Jin (our second) and ZeZheng (here currently), are also really great. All three have been SO excellent with my kids, and ZeZheng is just chock full of the Helpful Advice for Living, by which he means, "That's not how we do it in China so ur doin it wrong," like, "You shouldn't drink cold things, it will make you sick." or "You shouldn't have sex too much, it will make you sick."

So it's been really fun and interesting.

When Zheng came to stay with us, we also briefly had a kid from Venezuela, Andres, at the same time, but he didn't stay long. He came from a very rich home, with maids and his own driver and junk like that. We don't have maids. Or...uh...any money.

He was very uncomfortable and wanted to move out, so he wasn't with us long. My foster parents were really offended, but I told them, "He just comes from a very different place, I don't blame him for being weirded out," and they eventually got over it.

The moment I saw him, though, I said to Linda (my foster mom), "You watch, that boy is going to have the entire female population of the school pregnant by the end of the year. And half the male population, too." He had that totally suave Latin thing going on, very good-looking and charming, very well-dressed. He couldn't even manage to turn the charm off with me, and I'm, like, ancient. Or should be considered ancient to a 17 year old kid, anyway.

I've heard some horror stories from other host families, but we've been really lucky, because all of the boys have been so great so far.
Wow, this is absolutely incredible. Does someone in your family speak Chinese? I'm assuming they do, but if not, how does the communication process work and develop? Have you been able to pick up any Chinese from the students? Ahh, I wish I had the heart to open up my home like that, but I'm too afraid that once the novelty wore off, I wouldn't be as willing to deal with all the work of hosting someone from such a different culture. Moment of honesty on a Monday morning.

For a slightly related JTIS-- I get back to that wonderful land of Pittsburghese in two days. Rumor is it's going to be in the high fifties, and I'm tracking down some ice cream and ordering it with jimmies just because I can. Cancun has nothing on the excitement of SpringBreakSteelCity.
You're so like me
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Going to Disney in 3 days!!

JTIS

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mmh, which one ?

Rhiannon, Le Zénith, 1977
Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Wow, this is absolutely incredible. Does someone in your family speak Chinese? I'm assuming they do, but if not, how does the communication process work and develop? Have you been able to pick up any Chinese from the students? Ahh, I wish I had the heart to open up my home like that, but I'm too afraid that once the novelty wore off, I wouldn't be as willing to deal with all the work of hosting someone from such a different culture. Moment of honesty on a Monday morning.

For a slightly related JTIS-- I get back to that wonderful land of Pittsburghese in two days. Rumor is it's going to be in the high fifties, and I'm tracking down some ice cream and ordering it with jimmies just because I can. Cancun has nothing on the excitement of SpringBreakSteelCity.
Actually, no, none of us can speak any form of Chinese. I can do a few words here and there that I've picked up from the boys, but on the whole, they are here to work on their English, so they prefer to speak English. Which is good, because I cannot make some of the sounds necessary to speak Chinese properly for the life of me.

Zheng, the first boy, had only those few words but picked it up really fast once he got here, with the help of a little translator machine. After three years, he can swear like a sailor with the best of us, though his accent is still very heavy and other people have trouble understanding him sometimes. Our second kid, Xiao Jin, had more English - enough to get across what he wanted or needed, etc, but he wasn't very talkative in general, so he didn't want to work on actual conversation much.

Our current kid, ZeZheng, is pretty much fluent in English, and was that way when he got here. He's also got a heavy accent, but it's not as heavy as Zheng's is. ZeZheng & Zheng are from the same area of China, so they speak to each other in their language quite a lot, but Xiao Jin was from another area of China, where the language is different, so he & Zheng had to get by with talking in a mixture of some Chinese words they had in common and English.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why am I always awake in the middle of the night? My whole life I have been a night person. I shouldda been a Vampire.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Who is this Ledgie called adzadz?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Why am I always awake in the middle of the night? My whole life I have been a night person. I shouldda been a Vampire.
What about being a gravedigger? I'll probably end up being one myself because of my tendencies to initially stay awake for long periods at night!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
Mmh, which one ?

Rhiannon, Le Zénith, 1977
The one in Florida =)

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post

JTIS
You're going to be the most fun that park has had in years!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BuckNicks1.jpg (47.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You're going to be the most fun that park has had in years!
Awwww =) GOOD! I dont think Disney know's what they're in for yet xD

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
Awwww =) GOOD! I dont think Disney know's what they're in for yet xD
You have to report back with every detail of your trip. I'm so excited for you.

Two tests and 32 hours away from Pittsburgh. I'm also reverting to my thirteen year old self and watching NIN videos while squeeing over how "oh em gee super hot" trent reznor is. Just thought I'd share.
You're so like me