User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
of the studio albums the first one i bought was Tusk. i was shocked how many great and interesting songs that i've never heard before were on this album, especially considering one could basically hear almost every single Rumours song through radio or various greatest hits compilations.

Always surprised that there's not more Tusk talk here. It's their version of the Beatles' White Album only better imo. It's such a kaleidoscopic ride, all the songwriters had free reign and it never disappoints! Even now after countless spins since buying it in '79 I'll put it on and be transported to a strange and wonderful place. Sure wish TPTB hadn't pulled the reins in on LB after Tusk, who knows WHAT Mirage may have sounded like.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Greatest Hits was my first FM cd too. not sure what i was hoping to hear, but it was not the fluffy pop that overwhelmed me from that CD. i put it away and never listened to it again for years.
Yeah, I didn't like it just having heard it here and there throughout my childhood, but once I sat down and listened to the whole thing, certain aspects of the band-- three part harmonies, three vocalist/song writers, John's bass playing-- intrigued me and led me to other FM albums.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

My first was "The Very best of Fleetwood Mac": It's not the best compilation around, but good enough to make me fall in love with this amazing band.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Tango In The Night was my first Fleetwood Mac album.

I had it bought for me on cassette and then bought the LP and just couldn't stop listening to it

I still think it's a fantastic album and am not surprised it's their second biggest seller.

I ended up buying all of their previous albums and just became a massive fan - was gutted when Lindsey left and didn't like BTM or Time but thankfully he came back and I loved The Dance and SYW.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Tango In The Night was my first Fleetwood Mac album.

I had it bought for me on cassette .
Yes! I agree. I guess this is supposed to be a "nostalgic" fond memory thread. Well, okkk....

(keep in mind I was only 13? in the 7th grade, att) All I remember in '87 was this weird video on MTV with a crazy lady sashaying her skirt back and forth in this very (peter Gabriel style movie) and I thought "Who the hell is THIS NEW band?" Of course the images of LB and the music itself caught my attention. I had to find out more....

Only on the 2nd or 3rd time seeing this video, did I realise that the crazy lady was Stevie Nicks, the lady that I knew at that time for TTM, ICW, SB. Well, it was all over from there...I went to the mall with my sis and cousins from KY that summer and bought my 1st FM album on cassette. Music and cassettes were a big part of my life then...and o/c I wanted to play them in ANY car I rode in.

It seems I had also bought Wham! Make It Big at the time....b'c all I remember was my (male) cousins, who were driving revolting to my music choices and exclaiming "They are fags!"

So, We didn't get to hear my precious FM or Wham! But on this occasion, a FAN was made.

I'll never forget my 7th grade year and the brilliant music my ear was exposed to that year. I even remember exclaiming to my 8th grade English teacher in '88 that I "had FM GH's"; her not-impressed reply: "Well, so do I".

Gosh, was I green back then, but well intelligent beyond my years... how I have grown to Love the '80's!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
The Dance in 1997 was the first time I heard FM.
I was only seven years old at the time, so obviously I didn't buy it.
But my parents had it playing in their cars for the longest time and I just remember loving it.
Then came the DVD later on and I was able to connect the voice of "Landslide" to that "pretty blonde lady."

Besides that, the first album I actually BOUGHT was Rumours.
I have just started to read through this thread, and (imo) it IS very nostalgic and heartwarming, none-the-less.

Imagine the impact that FM has made on many souls through their parents/gparents through the years. At 7 yo, I was listening to Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers/Dottie West/Patsy Cline via my mother and (now) had only wished she had liked the Eagles, Heart, FM, whom I discovered years later. Nowadays...my mom just vaguely likes "SYLM" (Dance version) LOL.

Can You imagine being 7yo and hearing the haunting voice on Rhiannon or Sisters, the guitar riff on GYOW, or the bass on Chain, YMLF? If I was 7 again, these probably would have chilled me to the bone....in a good way...and I would have Q's mommy "who is that pretty angel/witch that sings with That band?"
I applaud the parents that exposed their young to FM and many other great acts of the '70's.

Last edited by FierySequences; 03-08-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustBoy View Post
When I was 16, (that would be 10 years ago) me and my friend were going through her dad's old records and tapes, and we found Behind The Mask. I borrowed it, and gave it a listen at home. It's not the greatest album of all time, but I was intrigued. After that I came across the TITN video, and watched it several times in two days. It was not the greatest live performance, but I was intrigued more. Then finally while I was going through CDs in a music store, I saw The best Of from 1988. I decided to gie it a shot, and played it right there on headphones. Since the first second I heard Rhiannon I was hooked. I bought the CD instantly, and drove the rest of my family completely crazy over the next month playing Rhiannon all the time. then a local TV station aired The Dance DVD as a part of a Christmas program. That was the moment I officially became a lifetime fan. The interesting thing was at first I though the original FM lineup was with Billy and Rick. Both BTM, and TITN video were without Lindsey, so...
I love this! and the fact that you still post here=awesomeness! You are a fan indeed, and I love the fact that you thought BB and RV were the first incarnation AND drove your family nuts with Rhiannon!

P.S. (this is not to you GDboy) I like this thread so much, lets see how many more memories(posts) I can go through without replying LOL

Last edited by FierySequences; 03-08-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Ledgie

Christmas of 1988 - my Dad told my Mum that he wanted Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits on cd.
i remember going to the shop with my Mum and her asking for it.
I heard the music and really got into Fleetwood Mac. I was 11.
For me that album was the most 'complete' album i had ever heard; i liked most if not all of the songs on there.

I always think of that greatest hits album as the 'green album'.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reading all these stories is great. A lot of times it is passed down. In my case..Nothing was passed down, lol. My parents were not music people. I basically discovered bands through random purchases. The Mac....I tripped over them channel surfing. The dance was on VH1 or MTV or one of those Channels. Lindsey hooked me.....the rest invited me to stay.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first Mac album was the '88 GH album that I got back in 2009. After already knowing Dreams and Don't Stop and hearing Gypsy on those music only tv channels, I knew I had to discover more of this Fleetwood Mac band. I had dismissed them as that band with that hokey feel-good song Don't Stop.

I'm happy and glad about the way things have turned out. Fleetwood Mac is truly my favorite music of all time and for rest of my life.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Ledgie

I was bored one day and asked my mother what music she was into when she was growing up in the '70s, and one of the first things she listed was Fleetwood Mac and I asked her if she had any CDs of them and she gave me the 1988 'Greatest Hits' CD and I played it and remember really liking it.

I didn't listen to the band frequently - I'd listen to the odd song here and there. Then I had a painful break-up with a friend who did everything she could to make me feel miserable and guilty. I was looking for music to sob my eyes out too, and of course I stumbled across 'Rumours', so that was my first original album.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
I love this! and the fact that you still post here=awesomeness! You are a fan indeed, and I love the fact that you thought BB and RV were the first incarnation AND drove your family nuts with Rhiannon!

P.S. (this is not to you GDboy) I like this thread so much, lets see how many more memories(posts) I can go through without replying LOL
WTF??? I replied to you a few days ago, and now I see that I must have done something wrong since I don't see my comment posted. I've been mostly lurking the Ledge over the past few years, but I decided to change that, and post more. I could never really join discussions and share the excitement of FM touring, since I've never seen them live, but that's about to change since I'm seeing them in Germany this tour. I am a dedicated fan, and I think it's my way of expressing my gratitude towards the people who brought so much joy and comfort in my life.