User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I remember taking American Literature II with Dr. Will in Spring 2009. He assigned an open-ended, eight-page paper in which we analyzed some form of text – be it lyrics, poems, screenplays, books, etc. – that needed to reflect culture.

I thought about analyzing “To Kill a Mockingbird”; surely, I could find loads of research on that. Or Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken.” I realized I wasn’t into those topics, and I struggled to get started.

Then I had a stroke of genius. I could analyze a Stevie Nicks song, “Rhiannon,” because, well, I am totally and completely obsessed with the rock goddess. The wheels started turning, and I cranked out eight pages well before I wanted to be done researching my favorite singer.

This discovery was revolutionary to my paper-writing process. I realized I could actually write about topics I am passionate about. I completed my graduate casebook – a 30-page critical analysis of a book – on Harry Potter. And this semester, I am writing my last two papers – whew – on linguistic topics that get me almost as excited as Stevie Nicks or Harry Potter.

While I can’t guarantee this kind of excitement every time you get assigned a paper, I can encourage you to play up your strengths. Find topics that truly intrigue you, and think of the assignment more as time to expand your hobby rather than time to waste on another boring assignment.

http://leader.fhsu.edu/?p=8199
Good point Viv, if you just "have to " do it (assignment), then make Lemonade out of lemons!!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.stilllivingthedream.com/2...vie-nicks.html

"Turns out, though…that one of my dear friends has actually met Stevie Nicks.
While on a plane.
And she was singing a lullaby to a baby (Stevie, not my friend).
I mean…COME ON! Stevie singing a lullaby to passenger’s baby?! Is that what’s going on in first class?
I could have been on that exact flight and not even known Stevie was on the plane. I buy my tickets so cheap that there’s a clause that I can’t even make eye contact with first class passengers as I make my way back to coach."

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Call Me Stevie: Memoirs of A Duplicate"

Wow.

She said Judd sent her at least 35 pounds of threatening mail and stalked her. She said he thought at one point that she was a clone of Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks. She said Judd thought he had to kill her to bring back the real person she should be.

"He would scream, 'Karen Corey-Steele, Stevie Nicks, whoever the hell you are,'" Corey-Daniels said, referring to her previous married name.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/201205090327
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
Wow.

She said Judd sent her at least 35 pounds of threatening mail and stalked her. She said he thought at one point that she was a clone of Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks. She said Judd thought he had to kill her to bring back the real person she should be.

"He would scream, 'Karen Corey-Steele, Stevie Nicks, whoever the hell you are,'" Corey-Daniels said, referring to her previous married name.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/201205090327
"And he thought I really wasn't me, that Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood had paid to have me made so she could come down between concert dates and run my home improvement company."

Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from Broward Palm Beach article, by Lee Zimmerman:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/co...r_relevant.php

Are Aging Rockers Still Relevant

Many people would have you believe that advanced age and rock 'n' roll are simply not in sync. That's understandable really, given the fact that rock, especially in its earliest incarnations, was always a young person's game. For its first couple of decades, it was a sound synonymous with rebellion and defiance of society. And for as long as I can remember, at least, those causes have always been those of the youthful, whose innate intention is to reject parental values and strike out in directions of their own choosing.

Yet those musicians who started out so young and fresh-faced early on are now increasingly reaching the age of social security and the realms of senior citizenry. It's a strange transition to be sure, especially when viewing photos of eternal icons like the Rolling Stones, Robert Plant, Stevie Nicks, or Paul McCartney, and the craggy, crease-lined visages that stare back are scarcely recognizable as the faces of those who were once so familiar. These senior moments make a statement. So it's not so surprising to hear that Mick Jagger allegedly refused to have a close-up taken when he was out clubbing in New York recently. And it's not all that odd that when I met McCartney a few years ago, he consulted with his handlers on how he looked prior to taking a photo.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was surprised and happy to hear Stevie mentioned at the end of this TED talk by a very mature 15 year old.

http://www.ted.com/talks/tavi_gevins...re_it_out.html
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailatixela View Post
I was surprised and happy to hear Stevie mentioned at the end of this TED talk by a very mature 15 year old.

http://www.ted.com/talks/tavi_gevins...re_it_out.html
If you think that's cool, you should check out this thread:http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...ad.php?t=50145
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the early 1999s, around the time that Rick Jones' hysterical not-really-an-advice-book advice book How to Be a Successful Teenager was published, a sweet old greeter at the K-Mart your Crap Archivist worked at offered a dire warning: "Do you listen to heavy metal?" she asked. "You shouldn't! Stevie Nicks is a witch!"

How to Be a Successful Teenager is a lot like that encounter: It's paranoid, muddle-headed, shaky on firm detail, and almost bittersweet in its behind-the-curve cluelessness. (Stevie Nicks has what to do with heavy metal, exactly? And who the hell cared about heavy metal in the age of Snoop and Nirvana?)

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/exhibition...ings_you_2.php
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are cool jobs. And then there are really cool jobs.
John McEntee is an entertainment producer, manager and agent. Want Stevie Nicks at your party?
For a fee, McEntee can make that happen. Want to meet Liza Minnelli backstage? McEntee can make that happen too.
For a meet and greet there's no fee. But it helps to be a special friend – or a special fan.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/m...rtainment.html
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Foreigner keyboardist Michael Bluestein, who has also performed with Stevie Nicks and Boz Scaggs, has been diagnosed with cancer, and will take an indefinite leave of absence from the band as he undergoes treatment.

As Bluestein explains in a statement released to the forum section of Foreigner’s official website, “I recently went to the hospital following some symptoms, and it was discovered that I have colorectal cancer. This has required me to take a leave of absence from the band for a significant period.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/forei...d-with-cancer/
Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/art-...medium=twitter

The last 3 paintings are Stevie's correct? I am 1000% sure on Rhiannon and feel like I've seen the other two but always lose track!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt0308 View Post
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/art-...medium=twitter

The last 3 paintings are Stevie's correct? I am 1000% sure on Rhiannon and feel like I've seen the other two but always lose track!
Yes, absolutely, the last three are Stevie's paintings.

The 2nd one (Nightbird) was featured in The Wild Heart tourbook

I can't exactly place off the top of my head where I've seen this "Firebird" one? Probably a songbook or another tourbook, but it's definitely Stevie's as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was the Firebird drawing in the Street Angel tourbook maybe???
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for confirming Christopher!

Wouldn't we all be able to live peacefully if Stevie published a full portfolio/book/exhibit..the possibilities are endless. As an artist myself, I am truly fascinated by this side of her artistry as well. But I'm more than happy to take what we get..
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Arizona Republic, June 6, 2012 by Peter Corbett [Stevie visited castle]

Robert Pazderka's new home really is his castle.

Pazderka purchased Copenhaver Castle on Camelback Mountain late last month for $1.45 million with plans to spend up to $5 million to make it livable.

Pazderka, president of the Armored Group LLC, which makes armored vehicles, plans to gut the interior and strip the castle down to its 18-inch exterior walls of stone chipped off the mountain.

"It's got extremely strong bones," he said of the rocky fortress.

The Valley's loftiest landmark has not been home to anyone for at least seven years and the castle built between 1967-77 is showing its age.

Turning it into a contemporary home worthy of the view and its legendary status on Camelback Mountain will be yet another chapter to follow in the property's unusual history.

Everyone has a story or connection to Copenhaver Castle, said real-estate agent Jan Atwater, who sold the hillside home after it languished for years.

"It's been very much a part of the community," she said.

One man told Atwater his father took him up the mountain as a young boy to watch the castle construction only to witness a crane toppling over and nearly killing the operator.

State Land Commissioner Maria Baier said she crashed her pickup truck as a new driver showing a visiting cousin the castle on the narrow road leading up the mountainside.

Pazderka said the castle was a hot spot for parties and celebrities with Sylvester Stallone, Stevie Nicks and Reba McEntire among the entertainers who visited.

Built by orthodontist Mort Copenhaver, doing some of his own masonry, the castle today shows fading remnants of his bachelor tastes. It's not exactly Hugh Heffner's Playboy mansion, but the dentist did include a 5-foot-deep spa, a fireplace with a 17-foot waterfall and redwood sauna off the living room.

The dusty castle's master bedroom with gold-rimmed mirrors and bathrooms with aging vanities and tile all look dated. The kitchen has been gutted.

It's quite dim inside with purposely distressed doors and dark wood trim along with reddish-brown stone walls. Windows with small balconies have amazing views but are narrow and set far apart.

Add in a dungeon, cellar bar and odd passageways and the effect is claustrophobic.

"I don't think there is any way to save it," real-estate agent Tom Tischer said. "I think it's a very expensive tear down."

Pazderka views it as a one-of-a-kind fixer-upper.

"It needs to be completely rehabbed, rewired, re-plumbed, with new heating and air-conditioning," he said.

"The biggest challenge is trying to get equipment up and down the mountain and how do you get supplies in," Pazderka said.

The castle is on narrow Red Rock Drive on the southwestern flank of Camelback Mountain.

Surveyor Jon Rice of Prosurvey Inc. said the castle's garage up a steep driveway is at an elevation of 1,765 feet, about 450 feet above Camelback Road.

Pazderaka built a contemporary home down Red Rock Drive to the west and another modern home is under construction right below the castle.

The new castle owner has no timetable for renovating his property. He said he hopes to have a reunion with Copenhaver and Jerry Mitchell, another previous owner, to hear some of their castle stories.

Copenhaver tried to sell his hillside home in 1985 for $7 million, but when no buyer emerged he lost it in a bankruptcy. Mitchell, who developed Rawhide, bought the castle in 1989 for $985,000 but lost it in bankruptcy in 2004.

The Old Standard Life Insurance Co. paid $2.6 million in 2005 for the castle but it was sold as an asset of the stockholders when the insurance company liquidated, Atwater said.

"It's time for it to be part of the community again instead of this big white elephant or red elephant," Atwater said, of the reddish-stone castle.

Pazderka has expressed an interest in an historic landmark designation.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1x5sgXppv

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1x5sY9h9c