Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Oh, I'm in the right crowd
In the right crowd on the wrong side.

Isn't that a beautiful image for building a song on?

Old 05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes! Like a painting on canvas! Or, a movie, maybe?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
In the right crowd on the wrong side.

Isn't that a beautiful image for building a song on?
Hmmm..... Gerald, that's not a bad idea at all. I guess I'll have to give you co-writing credit. Unlike Stevie Nicks, I acknowledge everyone's contributions to my songs.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow My thoughts...

I think that Lindsey just wants to be recognized for what he IS, not what people THINK he's trying to BE. His influences are all over the map, we have the Kingston Trio, Elvis' guitarists, Django Reinhardt, David Gilmour, Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, Beatles, Everly Brothers, Chet Atkins, Earl Scruggs, and here are some quotes:

I used to love Led Zeppelin, but I never sat around trying to learn Jimmy Page licks. In terms of developing a sense of melody, I was helped along by Dave Mason's Alone Together - a wonderful album with a very pretty kind of lead-guitar style. But I never thought of myself as someone who was going to go out there and burn it up. In fact, the lead stuff came very late for me.
Guitar Player, April 2003

If you look at Eric Clapton’s playing, he tends to stick to a correct blues style. I was more interested in guitarists like Peter Green and David Gilmour, who took traditional blues and made it more ethereal or darker.
Guitar World, September 1992

Plus, he listens to classical music, so there's influence there as well. You have rock, pop, classical, folk, country, just a plethora to make Lindsey a unique guitarist.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

DANG. No further comments.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

that's what's so great about lindsey, you can't compare his style to any one person; he's an original
Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Hmmm..... Gerald, that's not a bad idea at all. I guess I'll have to give you co-writing credit. Unlike Stevie Nicks, I acknowledge everyone's contributions to my songs.
Don't start that again, Carne. i was so proud of the fact that I did not interfere in that thread. Sometimes I have to protect myself, and leave a thread what it is. Or turn it around. Some of those times the thread stops. Cool.

So I'll leave you all those credits. I just want to be the first listener. That reminds me of getting back to you on something beautiful I've heard from some hometaper .

This weekend, dude.

In the right crowd on the wrong side reminds me of Kevn Kinney's best lyric ever: "If I was born on the right side of town, I would have never met you".

Last edited by shackin'up; 05-13-2004 at 10:54 AM..
Old 05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
That has nothing to do with his stage charisma. If you are longing for a steak and you get a piece of chocolate you won't be happy. Lindsey always put on great live shows, played the guitar like a maniac, he looked good, still does for his age- I honestly don`t see how he has no stage charisma.
Oh, he has charisma but that's achieved through a lot of straining and sweat. Stevie can do a lot with very little, Lindsey always needs to work hard for that.

If he trusted his stage charisma at this point in his life, he wouldn't feel the need for the guitar throwing, a show-offy element that I guess many could see being similar to Mick's vest drumming.

Quote:
Stevie grabbed the attention from the beginning because of her beauty that fascinated a lot of people (as it always does) her unique voice and her songs that were more appealing to the crowd than Lindseys. To me that is O.K. but it proves nothing in terms of quality. (Otherwise Spitney was the greatest artist ever.) I bet thousands of people bought the FM and solo albums just to have the covers.
No problem in there and it does question the lastability of Stevie's work. Is she really now more relevant than Lindsey because she sells more or did the majority of TISL owners buy it only because FM hadn't released anything in a while and there were a few hits with videos?

Whatever anyone inside the Fleetwood Mac camp is doing now, it's very possibly irrelevant for the majority a hundred years from now. People will remember Peter Green's FM and Rumours and that's that. Everything they've done since is a small fart after the main dejection , simply because they will never match that success again. That has nothing to do with the quality of music, it's just a fact that we all have to accept, similar to the unrelatedness of this last paragraph.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gaius - I agree that sadly, historically Stevie solo will always be BD and then maybe the next two and the Mac will be mostly Rumors, etc., and then The Dance. And that is sad to me because other great or perhaps, depending on the beholder, greater work by them exists in both areas. I mean OOTC is great and perhaps LB's benchmark, but sadly, no one but hard core fans really know it. What a shame.

But, hope springs eternal and if that Cher can have a mega comeback with Believe then I am waiting for FM's Interestingly, CM's new record could be a huge hit and I hope it is!!!!! I love her.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Oh, there's a lot of potential in Chris' upcoming album but then again I can't see her going for such populist gimmicks as there are in "Believe", such as the vocoder. But yeah, let's hope for sudden changes in listeners' attitudes.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I mean OOTC is great and perhaps LB's benchmark, but sadly, no one but hard core fans really know it. What a shame.
A bigger shame is, That, imo, Lindsey's benchmark would have been GOS, that that one never came to fruition as a whole. The titlesong and Twist of fate could have had some fresh effects in the charts in Europe. And from there, a lot more credit. The safe singles now don't pierce ears. A little succes in USA, but in Europe? Noone knows. The OOTC-period was very bad for Lindsey's approach to get some ears. A single like Wrong would have done much better now. So I don't understand why they don't try Miranda or Illume as a single.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
that's what's so great about lindsey, you can't compare his style to any one person; he's an original
Yessssssssssssssssssssirrrrrrrrr!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A bigger shame is, That, imo, Lindsey's benchmark would have been GOS, that that one never came to fruition as a whole. The titlesong and Twist of fate could have had some fresh effects in the charts in Europe. And from there, a lot more credit. The safe singles now don't pierce ears. A little succes in USA, but in Europe? Noone knows. The OOTC-period was very bad for Lindsey's approach to get some ears. A single like Wrong would have done much better now. So I don't understand why they don't try Miranda or Illume as a single.
GOS would have been incredible. Fortunately, its "release" has reached a wider market than OOTC because it was released as a FM record. But, the songs were altered for Stevie and the rest of FM to be on them even though Mick and John were already on there alot I think. Also, I think it was not just altering for Stevie. I think he altered PK for the sake of appeasing WB and to ensure that it was the first single, etc. Oh those big companies and their unwillingness to experiment. I mean many of the big sellers are experimental - look at Santana - although he got au currant singers to sing to his work, radio was not exactly playing that style of music until it got released. Same with Cher's Believe - there was not a whole lot of that sound on the radio at the time. But, what do I know . . .

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
OMG, that drives me nuts!!!

I hope everyone knows that when they listen to a Stevie Nicks song, they're listening to an Edgar Allen Poe song or an Oscar Wilde song.

Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A bigger shame is, That, imo, Lindsey's benchmark would have been GOS, that that one never came to fruition as a whole. The titlesong and Twist of fate could have had some fresh effects in the charts in Europe. And from there, a lot more credit.
Gerald I don't see that's been possible. Both songs are typical Lindsey. Twist of fate is a song in the tradition of Monday morning and WTWCT. GOS reminds me of Time bomb town with the the laughter effect. I regard these two as more conservative in comparison two some others on GOS the album. Nobody except of the fans care for that nowadays. I even doubt that more than 250000 thousand copies of the album would be sold. Why should it be more than OOTC, when he promoted it, had videos and was not 55?
I bet their time is over commercially. They should accept that and start making only the music they like and want without compromising for a record company, which doesn`t change a thing.

Last edited by stefan; 05-13-2004 at 03:34 PM..