Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey, Mick and Stevie in Dave Grohl's Sound City doc

[both sites have the trailer video; also Nickslive has screencaps of Stevie, Lindsey and Mick from the trailer]

http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2012/0...40Nickslive%29

Sunday, February 12, 2012
'Sound City' Stevie Nicks Mick Fleetwood & Lindsey Buckingham appear in Dave Grohl Documentary

Dave Grohl has finally provided a taste of his upcoming documentary on Sound City Studios, check out the first official teaser trailer here.

Sound City - A film by Dave Grohl. A Roswell Film. Coming Soon.

It’s still not clear exactly what we can expect out of Dave Grohl’s upcoming ‘Sound City’ but we have a much better idea now that a trailer has been unveiled. “I decided to make a film about that feeling when you put five guys in a room, hit “record” and the hair on the back of your neck stands up,” Grohl previously told Rolling Stone. “Expect some epic jam sessions.”

In addition to the previously announced “jam sessions” with Corey Taylor, Cheap Trick, and members of RATT — it appears that ‘Sound City’ will include interviews with artists who previously recorded at the legendary studio prior to it’s closing last year. In the preview you can see interview segments with Trent Reznor, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Keith Olsen, Rick Springfield, and Krist Novoselic just to name a few.

Posted by Nickslive at 2/12/2012 09:25:00 AM
Labels: Dave Grohl, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Sound City, Stevie Nicks

and

http://banana1015.com/dave-grohl-dro...mentary-video/

Dave Grohl Drops Trailer For ‘Sound City’ Documentary [VIDEO]
By: Tree Riddle | Yesterday

Simone Joyner, Getty Images
Dave Grohl has finally given us a taste of his upcoming documentary on Sound City Studios, check out the first official teaser trailer here.

It’s still not clear exactly what we can expect out of Dave Grohl’s upcoming ‘Sound City’ but we have a much better idea now that a trailer has been unveiled. “I decided to make a film about that feeling when you put five guys in a room, hit “record” and the hair on the back of your neck stands up,” Grohl previously told Rolling Stone. “Expect some epic jam sessions.”

In addition to the previously announced “jam sessions” with Corey Taylor, Cheap Trick, and members of RATT — it appears that ‘Sound City’ will include interviews with artists who previously recorded at the legendary studio prior to it’s closing last year. In the preview you can see interview segments with Trent Reznor, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, and Krist Novoselic just to name a few.

The preview also features a rapid fire list of names at the bottom, which includes Joe Baressi (producer Chevelle, Queens of the Stone Age), Butch Vig (producer Nirvana, Foo Fighters), Frank Black (The Pixies), Ross Robinson (producer Korn, Slipknot), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Nick Raskulinecz (producer Alice in Chains, Stone Sour), Vinnie Appice (Dio, Heaven & Hell), Tim Commemford (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave), Lars Ulrich (Metallica), Alain Johannes and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures) among others.

Although no release date is given, the official ‘Sound City’ website promises it is “Coming Soon.” In the meantime Dave Grohl will attend and perform at the Grammys tomorrow night, where the Foo Fighters are nominated for six awards including “Album of the Year.”

[interestingly, the author of this second article apparently doesn't know who LB is; he'd probably be one of those many people who, once explained to them, go - ah, but of course!]
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

August 23, 2012
http://concertblogger.com/2012/08/da...rding-studios/

Dave Grohl’s Documentary On Legendary Sound City Recording Studios
Written by: Kathy McConnell

Nirvana’s Nevermind, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, Neil Young’s After the Gold Rush, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ Damn the Torpedoes, and Rage Against the Machine’s Rage Against the Machine – all monumental albums in the history of music, all birthed with the help of one place: Sound City Studios.

Since its incorporation in 1969, Sound City Studios has had its hand in recording or mixing more than 100 certified gold and platinum albums. Visionary producer and record label exec Rick Rubin has chosen the studio to record with artists like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, and Johnny Cash. Visit www.soundcitystudios.net, browse the Artist List or catalog of Recordings By Year, and sit there in awe at the talent this place has seen and helped to cement in the music world.

Dave Grohl, Foo Fighter’s front man and former member of Nirvana, currently is in the process of sharing the Sound City Studios story by directing and producing a documentary on the legendary recording studio in the San Fernando Valley. According to the film’s official Facebook page, Grohl was inspired last year to create the documentary after purchasing the studio’s “legendary Neve 8028 recording console… considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment.” Sound City is known for their world famous drum sound and boast their vintage analog equipment that have “captured the sounds of some of the world’s most important and best-loved music.”

In an April interview with Billboard Butch Vig, producer of Nirvana’s Nevermind, said about the documentary that “[Grohl] probably interviewed 150 to 200 people so far and now we’ve been working on musical collaborations to be a part of the soundtrack for the film.” The brief trailer that has been released for the documentary features clips of interviews with heavyweights Tom Perry and Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails). The trailer can be viewed at www.soundcitymovie.com, but don’t get your hopes up because it reveals very little about the film.

Jim Rota, John Ramsay, and Therapy Studios will be co-producing the documentary, Paul Crowder, editor of “Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who” and “Dogtown and Z-boys,” will add the Sound City documentary to his resume, and Mike Monroe, scripter of “The Cove” and “The Tillman Story,” will write. Roswell Films, a branch of Roswell Records who release Foo Fighters albums, will be distributing the documentary. The film has yet to receive an official release date, however talk surrounding the topic points to early 2013.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Could that clip of Stevie be any more perfect?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

God I love Dave Grohl.

Foo Fighters have just played the Reading/Leeds festival in the UK and they were awesome.

Watch from 4:10 onwards, best crowd sing-a-long I've ever heard!

Last edited by Dragonfly; 08-27-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why have they closed the studio?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

'Sound City': Dave Grohl Makes You Come For The Studio, Stay For The People

By DAVID BAUDER, Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Rock musician Dave Grohl set out to make a recording studio the subject of his first-ever film. He was intrigued not only by the studio but by a specific piece of recording equipment – a 1970s era sound board – that captured every note of music made there.

Geek city, right? It sounds like an idea any sane moviegoer would run from.

Instead, "Sound City" offers a colorful piece of music history, a candid examination of changes wrought by technology and a defiant statement about not surrendering the human element in creativity. Grohl's rookie film made it to the Sundance movie festival, is being released theatrically Friday and is accompanied by an album featuring artists he interviewed.

"It honestly was more like a keg party with a camera than making a Hollywood film," he said.

Grohl knew nothing about the Sound City studio in Van Nuys, Calif., when he and fellow Nirvana members Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic booked a session to make "Nevermind" in 1991. Their California record company wanted Nirvana nearby to keep an eye on them and time at Sound City was cheap.

It was in a nondescript neighborhood and looked like a dump, with tired shag carpeting. Then Nirvana noticed all the gold records on the wall from artists who had recorded there: Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Van Halen, REO Speedwagon, Guns `n Roses, Neil Young, Cheap Trick, Slayer, Rick Springfield and more.

After plugging in their instruments and running through "In Bloom," Grohl and his mates discovered why. The sound, to their ears, was amazing. Nirvana had never been captured with such clarity and power before.

"You might have never heard of Nirvana if we had recorded in Hollywood with a fancy producer who made us sound like Def Leppard," he said. "The fact that that (sound) board made us sound like us is what people appreciated. To be reunited with it, honestly, it was like meeting your real parents for the first time."

Sound City owners bought the recording console designed by British engineer Rupert Neve for $76,000 at a time many houses cost half that. When Grohl inquired about buying it a few years ago, the studio operator then suggested she'd rather sell her grandmother. But Sound City closed and Grohl's wish came true (he won't say what he paid for it). The console is now in a studio that Grohl and his band, Foo Fighters, operate in the North Ridge section of Los Angeles.

Sound City became a hot studio after the modern incarnation of Fleetwood Mac was essentially born there, and Grohl's film includes vintage footage of a young Petty with his Heartbreakers.

"It was our home away from home," said Stevie Nicks. She recorded "Buckingham Nicks," her album with then-boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham, at Sound City, and met her current backup singer there in 1972. Nicks and Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac soon after, and the album that propelled the band to stardom was made on the Neve console.

Seeing Grohl's movie, and the memories that came flooding back, made her cry, Nicks said.

Sound City struggled in the mid-1980s because technology led artists elsewhere, until Nirvana made it a mecca for a new generation. Now technology is so good that people can essentially record alone in their bedrooms, and they do. That doomed Sound City and many other studios.

As Mick Fleetwood says in "Sound City," just because you can record by yourself doesn't necessarily make it a great idea.

"When you get four different people, four different personalities, four different players in a room – that combination equals magic," Grohl said. "You can get the Beatles and you can get the Rolling Stones and you can get AC/DC. That happens because of people's imperfections and bad habits. That's what gives music personality, and that's what I think is exciting about music."

Grohl spoke while sitting in his studio, in a room filled with guitars and overlooking the sound board he reveres. Homework assignments of songs to learn for an upcoming Sundance appearance were listed on a sheet of paper for when Foo Fighters arrived later in the day, including some by Nicks and John Fogerty. "Can you believe it?" Grohl said. "I'm singing `Stop Draggin' My Heart Around' with Stevie Nicks!"

There's no hiding the excited kid in Grohl's eyes when the film depicts him, Novoselic and Pat Smear jamming with Paul McCartney in the same studio. The collaboration resulted in a song, "Cut Me Some Slack," that they performed publicly at the Sandy benefit and on the new album.

Many people have wrongly interpreted his film to be anti-technology, Grohl said. "I'm not Amish," he said, noting he uses advanced recording equipment all the time. "Sound City" interviews Nine Inch Nails leader Trent Reznor as an example of a technical wizard who still benefits from collaborations.

"The intention was to inspire people to fall in love with the human element and the human process of making music," he said. "A lot of kids only hear music on their video games. A lot of kids only see singing contests on television. They don't know that you can buy a (lousy) guitar at a garage sale, and sit in your garage with your neighbor and write a song by yourself and suck. And then become the biggest band in the world. It happens that way."

Grohl's 6-year-old daughter recently asked her dad to listen to her play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the violin. It sounded like someone strangling a goose while scratching nails down a chalkboard, he said.

To his daughter's ears, it was beautiful music.

Judging by "Sound City," it was to Grohl's, too.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"It was our home away from home," said Stevie Nicks. She recorded "Buckingham Nicks," her album with then-boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham, at Sound City, and met her current backup singer there in 1972. Nicks and Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac soon after, and the album that propelled the band to stardom was made on the Neve console.

"Can you believe it?" Grohl said. "I'm singing `Stop Draggin' My Heart Around' with Stevie Nicks!"
What current backup singer are they referring to? She met Sharon in Hawaii in 1978 and Lori in Dallas, I think around the same time.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
What current backup singer are they referring to? She met Sharon in Hawaii in 1978 and Lori in Dallas, I think around the same time.
They're talking about Lori. She met Lori through Gordon (whom she met through Keith) not long after they first moved to LA to do Buckingham Nicks.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Absolutely loved this documentary. Loved how much time they spent on the history of FM and the making of Buckingham Nicks. My favorite part was when she was reading the letter she'd written to her family during the making of BN. And I loved that at one point the engineer goes "F*cking A! That girl can sing!" while she was recording YCFT, and Stevie goes "I am kind of radical, y'know."
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
Why have they closed the studio?
Studios don't make money anymore. Everything went digital and the labels cut the budgets for making an album. Everyone uses pro tools at home instead of building an album from scratch in a studio for a year.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sound City reviewed in 2/22 EW

Entertainment Weekly reviewed Sound City in their 2/22 issue. They gave it a B+, saying it was a lot funnier and soapier than its description suggests. They mentioned Mick's run-in with Buckingham Nicks, though the second part about Neil Young sounds a lot more interesting!

"This was the place where Mick Fleetwood first heard Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham’s debut, Buckingham Nicks, and asked them to join Fleetwood Mac. This was also where Neil Young pulled into the parking lot, ready to record After the Gold Rush, with smoke billowing out the windows and two LAPD officers right behind him, guns drawn. “I didn’t have a license,” says Young. “I was Canadian. I wasn’t even supposed to be there.”

There are a few screen caps of Lindsey in the studio, wearing headphones over his big fro.

I typed up the review and posted it to my site if you're interested in reading the rest.

The Stories Behind Your Favorite Hits
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Drowned in Sounds comments about the documentary]

http://drownedinsound.com/news/41460...d-city-studios

10 Things We've Learned from Dave Grohl's Documentary About Sound City Studios By Mark Burrows

Last night, I saw the first UK screening of Dave Grohl's directorial debut, Sound City. The documentary tells the story of the legendary Sound City studio in LA where Nirvana's Nevermind, Fleetwood Mac's classic Fleetwood Mac, Rage Against The Machine's debut and several thousand other albums from Barry Manilow to Arctic Monkeys' Suck It And See were recorded across decades of scuzzy mayhem. It's essentially a love story, in which the main character is a 40 year old mixing desk with a great sound, and where all the sex scenes are 50-something rock stars having a bit of a jam together, a view given credibility by many of the faces they make mid-solo.

The screening in London's west end was introduced by St Dave himself, flicky of hair and flashy of grin, who hung around for half an hours affable Q&A afterwards. Here's ten brilliant things we learned from both the film and the man who made it.

1.) Sound City is genuinely great. It's a film stuffed with love and enthusiasm for the art of making music, the weird chemistry that creates it, and the skill it takes to capture it. Grohl clearly loved the titular studio, and his subjects can be split between those that loved it too (Rick Springfield, Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty,) those that love Grohl (Josh Homme, Trent Reznor) and those that just love the sound of their own voice (Lars Ulrich, obviously).
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's currently on Time Warner Cable On Demand - $6.99 "rental" ($7.99 in HD).
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sound City Documentary

Has anyone watched this yet? I saw it today and loved it. It's not only a new and fresh look at the BuckinghamNicks/Fleetwood Mac story, but also a great look at all the music made at this historical studio. Dave Grohl did a great job. Stevie Nicks "Crying in the Night" was the first song recorded on the Neve Consol in Sound City. I hope they re-release the BuckinghamNicks album. It's a part of musical history.

I have changed, but you remain ageless