Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Dave Mason in HOF Class of 2004

Traffic is being inducted into the Rock And Roll HOF ('bout f*cking time). Now there are nine members of Fleetwood Mac in the Hall of Fame, and most of Blind Faith, for that matter.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Ric Grech being inducted (posthumously) with Traffic? (after all, he WAS the bass player on the biggest selling Traffic album...Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys )

That would make ALL of Blind Faith in.

Now if somebody on the HoF committee would rectify their mistake and retroactively include Bob Welch w/Fleetwood Mac, all would be right in the world of music.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amen. I think FM would've folded without Bob and his great songs. There would be NO BN!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Is Ric Grech being inducted (posthumously) with Traffic?
I think it's just Winwood, Capaldi, Wood, and Mason. The others who played on Traffic albums were considered additional musicians (even if they did write songs for the group), much the same way Gram Parsons and Clarence White weren't considered actual Byrds by McGuinn, Hillman, Crosby, Clark, and Clarke.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a note about the ceremony from Billboard:

"Earlier in the evening, Winwood took the stage with U.K. rock combo Traffic and showcased his lead guitar skills on a jam-laden version of "Dear Mr. Fantasy," accented by soulful organ accompaniment from Randall Bramblett. Although principal member Dave Mason joined Winwood and drummer Jim Capaldi to accept their awards, he did not perform until the closing jam."

(Note: they played "Feelin' Alright" on the closing jam.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMacD
I think it's just Winwood, Capaldi, Wood, and Mason. The others who played on Traffic albums were considered additional musicians (even if they did write songs for the group), much the same way Gram Parsons and Clarence White weren't considered actual Byrds by McGuinn, Hillman, Crosby, Clark, and Clarke.
According to a close friend who is a major Byrds afficionado, McGuinn DOES consider Clarence White a "Byrd".

FMac connection: Lead guitarist for Roger McGuinn's "Thunderbyrd" band, Rick Vito.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
FMac connection: Lead guitarist for Roger McGuinn's "Thunderbyrd" band, Rick Vito.
OR...

David Crosby has appeared on albums by Stevie Nicks and Dave Mason. Also, it was Gram Parsons who introduced Dave to Delaney & Bonnie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also, it was Gram Parsons who introduced Dave to Delaney & Bonnie.
Really?!? That's interesting. I just assumed that since Dave was in & out of Traffic, with Winwood & Clapton together in Blind Faith and D&B opening for them, that he would've met through his Winwood/Clapton connection.

Quote:
OR...

David Crosby has appeared on albums by Stevie Nicks and Dave Mason.
OR,

Chris Hillman & Gram Parsons joined with Bernie Leadon to form the Flying Burrito Bros...Bernie Leadon played on Street Angel.

Oh, let's not go any further with the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield family trees...we'll be here for DECADES with all the connections!

Last edited by chiliD; 03-18-2004 at 01:25 PM..
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, let's not go any further with the Byrds/Buffalo Springfield family trees...we'll be here for DECADES with all the connections!
Okay, but I first have to mention that Lindsey did TWO Byrds-related songs on "Law & Order." He did a cover of "Satisfied Mind," which sounds more like the Byrds version than the original and he did a cover of Flip & Skip's (Skip Batton, who played bass on the last three Byrds CBS albums) "It Was I."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, and I have to say that Lindsey's version of "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" sounds more like the Byrds than Dylan, too.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:44 AM

I saw Steve Winwood's About Time tour. He played on a Hammond B3. I have to say this was one of the best shows I have ever seen. He covered Blind Faith, Traffic, Specer and some great selections for his solo work.

Check this album out, it's fantastic.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Traffic on their 1974 When The Eagle Flies tour, and then twenty years later on their 1994 reunion tour.

The thing that always takes me by surprise is how good Winwood is as a guitar player...I've always known his keyboard playing, but, man, he straps on that Strat and...YIKES!...it's like Eric walked in the building. Steve & Eric sound an awful-lot alike at times.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I saw Traffic on their 1974 When The Eagle Flies tour, and then twenty years later on their 1994 reunion tour.

The thing that always takes me by surprise is how good Winwood is as a guitar player...I've always known his keyboard playing, but, man, he straps on that Strat and...YIKES!...it's like Eric walked in the building. Steve & Eric sound an awful-lot alike at times.
Absolutely, they have those blues sustained chords that just light up the stage. He played Dear Mr. Fantasy with his strat!! He also played Talking Back to the Night on a Mandolin in San Diego's Humphries. June 2003
Old 04-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Damn, I just got around (trying to) watch this show (as I taped it) and it cut off before the "all star jam" at the end and that was really the only part I cared about. I don't know what happened, I used a 2 hour tape on SP speed and set it for the right times etc. I guess it over ran (I figured they'd have it down pat on the editing since it was taped/not shown live etc. but whatever. I've checked VH1's schedule and they don't seem to list this anymore for re-runs (even though they are generally the re-run kings, Fred Berry RIP). If anyone can help me out with a copy of the final all star jam part of this show that DM played on then please PM/E mail me and we'll work something out. Thanks in advance.

John