User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
it makes me sad that so few people post when it doesn't need to be that way.
It doesn't make me sad, Elle. I think people have other places where they are posting and having fun with each other and maybe that's where they need to be. If you think it is nitpicking because you said that there are people included in Vivfox's list who aren't LB fans and shouldn't be included by any stretch of the imagination and other people didn't like your remark and said so, then you're going to continue to get nitpicked and this place is not going to get any better for you.

I'm sorry you don't feel welcome, but I don't think that comment of yours was very welcoming. You've done a lot for the board, but I don't see it ever shaping up to be the kind of place you envision. Unfortunately, maybe this just isn't the place for either the most passionate SN fans or the most passionate LB fans. I don't think that's a sad thing. Just a thing.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, on an active forum, i like the way everyone has their own niche. I mean, studies have shown that twins develop interests that complement or compensate for each other. So, if one twin is very good in math, maybe the other one will become strong in English. You kind of find your place in the other's weakness.

So, on the X-Files forum there were people who were all into the mythology episodes. About the alien invasion coming through . . . ears of corn, I reckon. Corn and black oil. Well, that was not my forte at all. And because the people online knew every twist, detail and nuance of the mythology narrative, I found that I paid less and less attention to it myself, because if I needed information about it, I could always read it in their posts. I never needed to have it in my own head. So, I would concentrate on one part of the show and use other posters as my back up storage drive when it came to plotlines that were less compelling to me.

That's what I liked about the Ledge when I came. If I wanted to know about Chicken Shack, I knew that there were Christine fans like Gail and Mary Anne who knew it. People always talk about the angry Smile at You and I think it's FM on that demo and I knew that someone like David would be able to listen to the instruments and give an informed opinion as to whether the players on the "angry" demo were FM members or not. To me, that's what CADreaming is like. She has her own forte and it was so much fun to come here and see that she had thrown up the lyrics to Lindsey's SWS songs when those Saban videos were released, because I was really into trying to find a connection between the new songs and the past and I knew that she could understand that, even if we came to very different conclusions. It was a very fun time.

I guess I never wanted anyone to be the same type of FM fan that I am because I actually get more out of a board when there are different kinds of fans than I am. Not into Peter Green, but there have been times when I've needed insight from people who are. You can kind of make a collective brain together. You know, you keep track of how many times Krycek has threatened Mulder's life and I'll count how many times Scully has reached out to hold his hand. Michele

Michele

Aaah, Michele, i think it's a good time to tell you how much i love it when you make those X-files or Sonny and Cher analogies (because you do that a lot ). I don't post here a lot because i, for some reason, don't feel really comfortable posting here. But, in terms of complementary thinking, i wouldn't work with you because i agree with everything you say. And you and CADreaming, and actually the whole LB fandom (even if i am not afraid to categorize myself as a Stevie fan mainly :P), are the reason why i keep lurking here after all these years (well, three years actually ), even if i don't necessarily often agree with the rest of you .
This all thing is just a misunderstanding of people wanting to be polite in their own way (dedicating something, adding people, etc.). So you are all nice and it's all good .
Old 12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It doesn't make me sad, Elle. I think people have other places where they are posting and having fun with each other and maybe that's where they need to be. If you think it is nitpicking because you said that there are people included in Vivfox's list who aren't LB fans and shouldn't be included by any stretch of the imagination and other people didn't like your remark and said so, then you're going to continue to get nitpicked and this place is not going to get any better for you.

I'm sorry you don't feel welcome, but I don't think that comment of yours was very welcoming. You've done a lot for the board, but I don't see it ever shaping up to be the kind of place you envision. Unfortunately, maybe this just isn't the place for either the most passionate SN fans or the most passionate LB fans. I don't think that's a sad thing. Just a thing.

Michele
oh wow, Michele, that's a downer post to wrap up the year.

and no, i was not the one who brought up nitpicking (plus that's what i'm apparently doing right now lol), and i think it as well as reprimanding was meant in more general terms than this small thread.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Oh this might be the reason why i don't feel comfortable posting here...but i don't think i'm a SN die-hard...
Anyway i agree with this, but i've said it already.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
and actually the whole LB fandom (even if i am not afraid to categorize myself as a Stevie fan mainly :P), are the reason why i keep lurking here after all these years (well, three years actually ), even if i don't necessarily often agree with the rest of you .

and, you are more than welcome here - please do post whenever you feel like it!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aaah, Michele, i think it's a good time to tell you how much i love it when you make those X-files or Sonny and Cher analogies (because you do that a lot ). I don't post here a lot because i, for some reason, don't feel really comfortable posting here.
Oh, that's a shame, because you're so good at it. I really enjoy your posts as well.

I can't help myself about the X-Files because although I have been an FM fan for a long time, I didn't post about them online until 2003, after the X-Files went off the air and I had free time on my hands. I spent the first half of my internet life arguing about Mulder and Scully! Gave me good experience for the Stevie and Lindsey ground wars.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
and no, i was not the one who brought up nitpicking (plus that's what i'm apparently doing right now lol), and i think it as well as reprimanding was meant in more general terms than this small thread.
Well, I know what you mean about reprimanding in general terms. But you know there's some SN fan reprimanding going on on the board too. They don't like it any more than LB fans like it. I take some comfort in that.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh this might be the reason why i don't feel comfortable posting here...but i don't think i'm a SN die-hard...
Anyway i agree with this, but i've said it already.
VivFox is a die hard SN fan (i think?) and we love to have him! same with Hejira or mezzoforte, or other people who love various FM members equally.

and so, since this cannot be repeated enough but seems to keep getting lost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip
Not clique-ish, we welcome LB lovers of all shapes and sizes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan
met so many good people both at concerts, and online, that I've long since lost count. I make a point of, and I know many other LB fans do too, including and encouraging anyone who shows an interest in Lindsey and his music.
_________

Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, that's a shame, because you're so good at it. I really enjoy your posts as well.

I can't help myself about the X-Files because although I have been an FM fan for a long time, I didn't post about them online until 2003, after the X-Files went off the air and I had free time on my hands. I spent the first half of my internet life arguing about Mulder and Scully! Gave me good experience for the Stevie and Lindsey ground wars.

Michele
Yeah but TV shows are way more satisfying because you actually see what's happening . Here when you argue about Stevie and Lindsey there's always the issue of 'what if i'm wrong', because you never really know. I don't even trust Carol Ann (but then again who does?). (i've been reading Storms lately...)
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
VivFox is a die hard SN fan (i think?) and we love to have him! same with Hejira or mezzoforte, or other people who love various FM members equally.

and so, since this cannot be repeated enough but seems to keep getting lost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip
Not clique-ish, we welcome LB lovers of all shapes and sizes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan
met so many good people both at concerts, and online, that I've long since lost count. I make a point of, and I know many other LB fans do too, including and encouraging anyone who shows an interest in Lindsey and his music.
_________

Yeah but then again in the same posts you read something like that :
"this is very nice of you, but you missed many huge LB fans, and added one or 2 who probably shouldn't be listed as such by any stretch. "
This sentence only is the reason for this whole argument. The rest, i totally agree with you.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah but TV shows are way more satisfying because you actually see what's happening . Here when you argue about Stevie and Lindsey there's always the issue of 'what if i'm wrong', because you never really know. I don't even trust Carol Ann (but then again who does?). (i've been reading Storms lately...)
You're right. And with human beings, even if we could see everything, we still wouldn't know everything. It's all subject to interpretation.

I guess with tv shows you like to think there is one definitive truth. No matter how a viewer perceives something, you often think that you can find an ultimate "yes" or "no" answer, depending on what the writer intended.

With people, even if they were witness to or participants in the same event, they will each have their own truth about it. With CAH I think my main problem was that sometimes I didn't even think she was telling the truth as she saw it. But I devoured Storms. Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I know what you mean about reprimanding in general terms. But you know there's some SN fan reprimanding going on on the board too. They don't like it any more than LB fans like it. I take some comfort in that.

Michele
but of course, and that's a good thing. what mostly bugs is when someone claims (on and on and on ) how fair, balanced and unbiased they are while doing the "reprimanding"... so after a while most other people just give up on discussion and decide they have better things to do with their lives. and then some random person with mild FM interest starts googling LB and finds these boards and gets some potentially misleading impressions.

i freely admit i am LB biased and i think that most SN fans or CM fans do not claim they are unbiased either. that's what makes the world go around, we all have different interests and likes. although have to say that you seem to be pretty unbiased and i find that a refreshing rarity. same with Nancy, or Amlyn. or MacMan. (and no, you all should not consider yourself categorized now )

Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i freely admit i am LB biased and i think that most SN fans or CM fans do not claim they are unbiased either. that's what makes the world go around, we all have different interests and likes. although have to say that you seem to be pretty unbiased and i find that a refreshing rarity. same with Nancy, or Amlyn. or MacMan. (and no, you all should not consider yourself categorized now )
I love all three guys. I don't love them equally, but I strive for equality. I mean, I used to have Don't Stop as my ringtone and I said, "Well, Christine is gone. So, you can do it. But if she was still here, you couldn't have her as a ringtone above those other two."

So, I am playing some kind of OCD game with myself about the three of them.

But when it comes to brass tacks, I never put the gal or the dame above LB.

Michele
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're right. And with human beings, even if we could see everything, we still wouldn't know everything. It's all subject to interpretation.

I guess with tv shows you like to think there is one definitive truth. No matter how a viewer perceives something, you often think that you can find an ultimate "yes" or "no" answer, depending on what the writer intended.

With people, even if they were witness to or participants in the same event, they will each have their own truth about it. With CAH I think my main problem was that sometimes I didn't even think she was telling the truth as she saw it. But I devoured Storms. Michele
I agree with the 'yes' or 'no' thing. I think the more there is possibility for different perceptions of the show, of its truth, the more interesting it is. That's why i think the build-up to Mulder and Scully being together was actually more interesting than them being together, because there were so many people who weren't shippers at all, and wouldn't believe that there was something going on (til it became obvious). And therefore, you root for a couple, but there are downers, and you just live with this incertainty, and it's way more exciting . When it was all said, and it's the same for every single fiction couple, i feel happy we get a happy closure but i'm also way less excited.

Anyway, there's a bit in Storms that i find especially interesting, it is that moment when they are all doing the Rolling Stone photoshoot. She says it was a wrap in 45 minutes, and then Lindsey said (can't find the quote) he stayed on the bed of the photoshoot for like an hour...with Stevie. i would die to know the truth about that .
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Anyway, there's a bit in Storms that i find especially interesting, it is that moment when they are all doing the Rolling Stone photoshoot. She says it was a wrap in 45 minutes, and then Lindsey said (can't find the quote) he stayed on the bed of the photoshoot for like an hour...with Stevie. i would die to know the truth about that .
Well, that was one of the odder passages in Storms. First of all, CAH says that the shoot took place in her house. That is just false. To me, it's like she said that deliberately to discount the stories that Stevie and Lindsey have told about the shoot. It's like she wanted to tell the reader that Stevie and Lindsey didn't have the time or access to share an intimate moment during the shoot, because she was there and it was in her bedroom. But it wasn't.

Yes, Stevie and Lindsey both told different versions when they recalled the shoot for a Rolling Stone anniversary issue. Like you, I don't have the quote right now. We have laughed about it in threads here somewhere, which I can't find at the time. Stevie had them practically making out for 30-45 minutes and Lindsey says it was more like 15, but the discrepancies, as slight as they were, were hilarious.

Michele