User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Exclamation The Source 1981 interview

Sometimes old interviews are fun to listen to today. This Stevie Nicks special aired just as Bella Donna was released. Most of what is in this interview most everyone has heard before. But there are always little morsels that you never heard before. There are also things that you hear that you know are not true. I like her story about being stranded in Colorado which I heard before. Her memory was pretty much accurate but the bus strike was in November 1974, not October. But having her parents pay for a ticket back to LA in November most likely was part of the spring board of wanting to join Fleetwood Mac just one month later.
She says that it was John McVie that insisted Crystal be put on the White Album. She did not want it on the album since it was already recorded and on another album. She was not a fan of recycling songs. But he insisted and they loved Chris's keyboard part. She wanted to put one of her new songs instead.
Singing backup on John Stewart's Gold was not supposed to happen. She went into the studio to sing Midnight Wind. A fun 20 minutes happened and she sung Gold and it sounded so good they kept it.
She claims Tom Petty gave her SDMHA but we know today that was not true. Maybe in 1981 she still believed this since it was Jimmy that pretty much stole the song from Tom to give to her.
She also comments on Don Henley helping her write Leather and Lace. He hated the name but kept helping her write it.
I knew her dad was the President of Greyhound but having a free bus pass to anywhere must of been a great perk.
I found it interesting when she talks about Mick offering them to join Fleetwood Mac that she does not tell the story they only wanted a guitarist. She's not bitter yet and is graceful in saying Mick heard Frozen Love and called them and offered them to join. She says Lindsey wrote "Listen to the wind blow" as his only contribution to The Chain. She wrote "If you never love me now, you will never love me again"
Anyway, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzvaintkJU

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-17-2024 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-17-2024, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Sometimes old interviews are fun to listen to today. This Stevie Nicks special aired just as Bella Donna was released. Most of what is in this interview most everyone has heard before. But there are always little morsels that you never heard before. There are also things that you hear that you know are not true. I like her story about being stranded in Colorado which I heard before. Her memory was pretty much accurate but the bus strike was in November 1974, not October. But having her parents pay for a ticket back to LA in November most likely was part of the spring board of wanting to join Fleetwood Mac just one month later.
She says that it was John McVie that insisted Crystal be put on the White Album. She did not want it on the album since it was already recorded and on another album. She was not a fan of recycling songs. But he insisted and they loved Chris's keyboard part. She wanted to put one of her new songs instead.
Singing backup on John Stewart's Gold was not supposed to happen. She went into the studio to sing Midnight Wind. A fun 20 minutes happened and she sung Gold and it sounded so good they kept it.
She claims Tom Petty gave her SDMHA but we know today that was not true. Maybe in 1981 she still believed this since it was Jimmy that pretty much stole the song from Tom to give to her.
She also comments on Don Henley helping her write Leather and Lace. He hated the name but kept helping her write it.
I knew her dad was the President of Greyhound but having a free bus pass to anywhere must of been a great perk.
I found it interesting when she talks about Mick offering them to join Fleetwood Mac that she does not tell the story they only wanted a guitarist. She's not bitter yet and is graceful in saying Mick heard Frozen Love and called them and offered them to join. She says Lindsey wrote "Listen to the wind blow" as his only contribution to The Chain. She wrote "If you never love me now, you will never love me again"
Anyway, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzvaintkJU
I recently found my cassette of this interview.... needless to say it was a bit wobbly after all these years. I was going to try and transcribe it....so Thanks for posting this version!
Old 04-18-2024, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recently found my cassette of this interview.... needless to say it was a bit wobbly after all these years. I was going to try and transcribe it....so Thanks for posting this version!
I've heard snippets of this interview for decades but never in its entirety. Its refreshing to listen to because she's not bitter and on top of the world of her solo career. There is no "baby sister" talk or "they only wanted Lindsey" talk. She's very positive about everything. I found the Crystal part interesting which I never heard before.