The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New releases featuring Rick (2010 & 1977)

One brand new release with Rick in the credits, and one very old 'new' release..........

First, Maui guitar-designer/singer/songwriter Steve Grimes has a new CD called "Labor of Love" featuring Rick on a few tracks. (Rick also listed as co-producer).

...Steve enlists the services of some world class musicians: Pat Simmons of the Grammy Award winning Doobie Brothers, legendary jazz guitarist Larry Coryell, the late great harmonica player Norton Buffalo, national dobro champion Rob Ickes, Barry Flanagan of HAPA, Jon Cleary and Hutch Hutchinson, both of Bonnie Raitt’s band and Rick Vito of The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band.

http://grimesguitars.com/GrimesTunes/

Next, time-warp back 33 years to Roger McGuinn's Thunderbyrd on the German TV show Rockpalast. Apparently that show will now be released on DVD, according to this info from a Byrds site:

Friday, May 28, 2010
Roger McGuinn's Thunderbyrd 1977 Rockpalast Festival Concert Available At Last!

Finally, 33 years after it took place, Roger McGuinn's Thunderbyrd performance at the first Rockpalast Festival (German TV 1977) has been released on CD and DVD by the WDR-Rockpalast-MIG label from Germany.

This legendary concert was only circulating on bootleg tapes, CDs and DVDs until this month.

Roger McGuinn, Rick Vito, Charlie Harrison, Greg Thomas (with help from Little Feat's Sam Clayton).

(Unfortunately I haven't been able to find this DVD yet)

Now, if only we could get word of some new RV solo material, or new MFBB.....

Last edited by OldTimer; 06-29-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be cool if McGuinn would re-release the original Thunderbyrd album on CD. Charlie Harrison would be in a latter day incarnation of Poco and on a couple of Rick's own solo albums, as well.

And, if ex-Derek & The Domino keyboardist Bobby Whitlock would re-release his solo albums on CD...the second of which Raw Velvet has Rick playing slide on the Dominos cover "Tell The Truth".
Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

The Thunderbyrd album was released on CD but it's an expensive import, have it though, sounds great.

What's the deal with the Grimes CD? When I click on the PayPal link at the site it just goes to my general account page (doesn't give you the amount, you know, the usual stuff specific to the order.

Looks like some German sites have the Rockpalast DVD (the new official one) but I'm waiting for amazon.de to update their page on it before going anywhere dodgy, this might be out first on Region 2 but I do see some others of this series (Spirit, Cipollina, etc.) at amazon.com so here's hoping they'll be sold there and be region free etc.

To anyone, please post a link if you come across how to buy this directly, thanks in advance.

John
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

The Grimes site seems to have fixed their ordering stuff, just gotta find out how to get this McGuinn DVD now! Thanks again for posting about these!

John
Old 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good job John!!! When John Wetcamelfood contacts a website and tells them to get their sh*t together, they do it! If you buy the Grimes CD, please review it for us.

(Sort of like when ChiliD goes to NAMM and tells the Reverend folks to get a new Vito guitar going, they do it. I'm surrounded by pretty influential people here.......... )

I'm likewise not keen on ordering the Thunderbyrd Rockpalast DVD from a site I'm not familiar with. (Let alone a site in a language I don't speak.) I'll wait a bit on this one.

If Bobby Whitlock releases Raw Velvet on CD, I'd probably want that, too. The money adds up.............

HOWEVER, I keep promising myself that one of these days I have to buy the '3 Byrds Land In London' CD. I used to be a huge Byrds fan, and adding some Vito guitar makes it even more appealing. Last I checked the CD was kinda pricey, but I see it on ebay now for under $15.

Here's a listing of the songs from that memorable reunion:
http://die-augenweide.de/byrds/alb/london.htm

(and look at this funny little image at the bottom of the page, labeled simply 'different cover': )

Anyway, one of the main reasons I want the 3 Byrds in London is because I heard a radio show where the track Lover of the Bayou from this concert was featured, and it was unforgettable -- Rick's electric lead soaring over McGuinn's Rickenbacker & his great vocal -- it was a thing of beauty. I know the Gene Clark and Chris Hillman stuff will be just as great too.

I found a site where I can download some of the tracks from this concert on an mp3, but unfortunately I still haven't explored the world of mp3's or Ipods.

It has track samples too:
http://1-mp3.com/album2285507/3-byrd...ve-at-the-bbc/

Okay I think that's enough for today of spending money I shouldn't....
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Got the Grimes CD in the mail today, Rick is listed for electric guitar on "I'm dying to know", slide guitar on "What they say" & gypsy and slide guitars on "Shaken and stirred". I'm not good at describing how they sound so here's some 30 second clips I made of the tracks Rick's on:

I'm Dying To Know

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1gbcbx

Shaken And Stirred

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dmvx2w

What They Say

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a4hpe1

Hope this helps in the meantime.

John
Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the sampler, John!

Some nice mellow stuff, a little bit Nashville, a little bit jazz, and lots of laid-back Maui. I like Shaken and Stirred best. I wonder when and where Rick recorded his tracks?

Again, thanks. You guys are the best.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

You're welcome, glad it helped. Ah, now you see why it was hard to describe, pretty diverse stuff, I like the sound of it so far too, thanks for posting about it again though, I'd have never found out about this one if it wasn't for your post. In looking at the liner notes to see when and where it was recorded it just says it was recoreded at Paia Town Recording & A'ala Recording but doesn't say when/where (more specifically) but something I overlooked before was that Rick is listed with 3 others as co-producer.

John
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Update

Forgot all about this, I just noticed the McGuinn show is now on DVD from a source we all know and love, Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Roger-McGuinns...2942099&sr=1-1

Hope this helps (though you guys probably came across this there on your own by now).

John