User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I just came here to mention Never Forget. I'm always left smiling at the end of listening to Tusk just because of those harmonies alone.
I've had that same feeling at the end of Tusk. : ) What a great closing song.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I just came here to mention Never Forget. I'm always left smiling at the end of listening to Tusk just because of those harmonies alone.
An often forgotten gem.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
An often forgotten gem.
Never Forget is one of my favorites off of Tusk, glad to see it get some attention! Always figured I was the only one to hold it in such high regard. The harmonies, her vocals, the beat, the piano, and the fact that it might be the best closer to ANY Fleetwood Mac album make it exceptional for me.

(GDW is probably a better song standalone but Never Forget finishes Tusk so much more effectively)

While I like most of Christine's song on the album well enough (Brown Eyes mainly) Never Forget is the song I think of to represent her contributions.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Never Forget is one of my favorites off of Tusk, glad to see it get some attention! Always figured I was the only one to hold it in such high regard. The harmonies, her vocals, the beat, the piano, and the fact that it might be the best closer to ANY Fleetwood Mac album make it exceptional for me.

(GDW is probably a better song standalone but Never Forget finishes Tusk so much more effectively)

While I like most of Christine's song on the album well enough (Brown Eyes mainly) Never Forget is the song I think of to represent her contributions.
She opens and closes the album. Which I often forget of this LB album.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Never Forget. It's not a harmony part but when Chris sings "just remember that love is gold" it kills me every time (in a good way)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Ledgie

It's always seemed like a missed opportunity that there aren't more songs where I can clearly distinguish all 3 singers, no matter who's on lead. Backing vocals are backing vocals, so it's not appropriate for every production, but I still wish there were more songs like this.

On songs like "Go Your Own Way," I know Stevie and Christine are probably in there but it's hard to tell. Concerning the studio version of "The Chain," I didn't even know Christine was vocally present till I read it recently. I'd like to think Stevie is on "Think About Me," but I really don't know what to think. Some of you probably have better ears than I do.

Christine has a smooth tone that tends to blend in, so even if can tell she's in the mix (e.g. "Dreams"), I don't necessarily pick up her distinctive sound. And Stevie was criminally underutilized on backing vocals/harmonies.

Lindsey, however, was perhaps overused. By Mirage/Tango, it seemed like almost every song had a lush blurry choir of Lindseys. Not long ago, I played Mirage straight through for my bf who'd never heard anything but the singles. "Lindsey 'I've Got to Be on Every Song' Buckingham" was what he called him afterward.

But anyway, here are my studio faves where I can clearly hear all 3:

Say You Love Me
Honey Hi
Over & Over
The Farmer's Daughter (studio outtake)
Never Forget
Beautiful Child
Never Forget
Love in Store
Little Lies (I'm stretching for songs to include, but I'm stopping at WTTRS and WISYA)
Steal Your Heart Away (wish there were a bit more Christine, but I hear her)

Last edited by brad975; 05-03-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Old 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Little Lies
The Chain
Love in Store
Old 05-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh I love the harmonies in Never Forget. Beautiful song. Honey Hi is also a standout. Wish they'd done proper harmonies on Save Me A Place instead of all Lindsey - that would have been amazing.

Farmer's Daughter and Dreams for me are the best. But there's so many, that's the magic of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Oh I love the harmonies in Never Forget. Beautiful song. Honey Hi is also a standout. Wish they'd done proper harmonies on Save Me A Place instead of all Lindsey - that would have been amazing.

Farmer's Daughter and Dreams for me are the best. But there's so many, that's the magic of Fleetwood Mac.
I thought we were talking about 3 part harmonies, not just Christine and Stevie.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
On songs like "Go Your Own Way," I know Stevie and Christine are probably in there but it's hard to tell. Concerning the studio version of "The Chain," I didn't even know Christine was vocally present till I read it recently. I'd like to think Stevie is on "Think About Me," but I really don't know what to think. Some of you probably have better ears than I do.

Christine has a smooth tone that tends to blend in, so even if can tell she's in the mix (e.g. "Dreams"), I don't necessarily pick up her distinctive sound. And Stevie was criminally underutilized on backing vocals/harmonies.

Lindsey, however, was perhaps overused. By Mirage/Tango, it seemed like almost every song had a lush blurry choir of Lindseys. Not long ago, I played Mirage straight through for my bf who'd never heard anything but the singles. "Lindsey 'I've Got to Be on Every Song' Buckingham" was what he called him afterward.
Some good points here.

Stevie and Chris are definitely on GYOW, you can hear them when Lindsey drops out before the big guitar solo, but because Stevie is just doubling Lindsey's main chorus melody, and Lindsey is harmonising with himself on the lower harmony, you can't hear it that well.

Think About Me, very hard to tell, I feel like Stevie is again singing the melody in the chorus which makes it hard to pick out.

Dreams, Stevie doubles up Christine's harmony and I think S's one is mixed too high at some points drowning Christine out.

Definitely - if Lindsey had gone for a proper 3 part on his songs instead of all him it would have sounded amazing
Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I thought we were talking about 3 part harmonies, not just Christine and Stevie.
I don't follow. I was talking about 3 parts.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm happy to throw WTTRS and Sara into the mix (esp the 5.1 version of Sara, where you can hear Linds and Chris so clearly in the mix.)

i really wish IF they ever do a full FM again, that's it's stripped down raw affair, not an overly-processed, perfectly produced pop. I want to hear the three of them singing together -- not overdubbed and effected. A studio album that sounds "live and raw." It would be amazing!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
i really wish IF they ever do a full FM again, that's it's stripped down raw affair, not an overly-processed, perfectly produced pop. I want to hear the three of them singing together -- not overdubbed and effected. A studio album that sounds "live and raw." It would be amazing!
Sadly, none of them have the vocal chops for that anymore. (MAYBE Christine, I don't know.) Few 70-year-olds do.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 PM
sorcerer999
This message has been deleted by sorcerer999.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Honey Hi" is perhaps one of the most underrated moments in Fleetwood Mac history. It is, hands down, the greatest three part harmony that the band has ever recorded.
I like it as I do almost all of Tusk but it almost seemed to me like the song was created for the harmonies and not the other way around.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
It's always seemed like a missed opportunity that there aren't more songs where I can clearly distinguish all 3 singers, no matter who's on lead. Backing vocals are backing vocals, so it's not appropriate for every production, but I still wish there were more songs like this.

But anyway, here are my studio faves where I can clearly hear all 3:

Say You Love Me
Honey Hi
Over & Over
The Farmer's Daughter (studio outtake)
Never Forget
Beautiful Child
Never Forget
Love in Store
Little Lies (I'm stretching for songs to include, but I'm stopping at WTTRS and WISYA)
Steal Your Heart Away (wish there were a bit more Christine, but I hear her)
If you are singing good three part harmony you shouldn't be able to distinguish.