The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Let's talk about... Fleetwood Mac!

what a novel concept, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
hmmm.... I think what the band did is sh&tty.....and let's see, that must make me:
Pathetic
Hateful
A Trump voter (which is f&cking hilarious)
a loser with nothing else going on in my life...
A Lindsey fanatic

Have I missed any of the names that have been thrown around on here by Stevie diehards, who are all upset because they have been called
Children of Stevie
Chiffonheads

If you throw sh&t, it shouldn't be a surprise if some of it splashes back on your shoes.

I have been a Stevie fan forever, but I'm a bigger fan of the Five.

I, like everyone else on here, have a nice, full life outside this forum. Since most people in my life aren't as big a FM-head as I am, I , like most others on here, come here because it is specifically a forum dedicated to talking about....wait for it.... FLEETWOOD MAC!

So people come on here to talk about....wait for it....FLEETWOOD MAC! :eek:

Since the biggest thing going on with the band right now is the fact that they fired Lindsey and hired two new people, guess what people are going to talk about.....

Some people think this is the biggest mistake they've ever made, some people think it's a great new chapter, and plenty of others fall somewhere in-between.
This will possibly cause some friction. If you don't like what you are reading, there are plenty of other threads on this site. I do not understand the need to constantly come into a forum where you know you disagree with the majority of comments others are posting, and then complain you disagree with what others are posting.

If you don't like being called names or stereotyped, then BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD and don't turn around and do the same danged thing.

Some folks on here could care less if they get called names and as a result will continue to stir the pot and throw little hand grenades into the mix.

But you can't come into a band forum and gripe that everyone's talking about the band
so perfectly said.

i took this out to a separate thread, because it was a reaction in and to a thread that clearly doesn't belong in this forum - while the write up above does. but that out-of-place thread was for some non-explicable reason posted twice in 2 different forums, even though it belongs in neither, and allowed to be talked about, in both forums.

and then, this perfect post immediately received this rebuttal (under the guise of agreeing with it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Great post! I just wanted to respond to one thing in particular- wouldn't it be awesome if, for one day, everyone could agree to post without name calling? Seems unlikely, but it CAN be done. It makes discussions here so much more reasonable, don't you think?

When someone says Lindsey freak, or $tevie, or chiffon head, or anything like that
what or who exactly is a "lindsey freak"? seems that you just invented yet another name to bully people, while spouting against name calling. you can't have it both ways, boy.

on Anti-Bullying Day too. how appropriate.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and another perfect post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Well, not exactly.

"Lindsay freaks can't accept that his touring demands are why he was fired," that would clearly show my bias.

Yes, because in this statement you are name-calling the people who are fans of one particular band member. So that is, in fact, name calling.

I said "Lindsey was fired because $tevie wanted Mike to replace him," again, there's a bias

Actually, there's no name calling or insulting in that statement towards any other fans at all. It's merely an OPINION about what actions were taken by band members.

And, maybe this is where some people are having a problem.

Just because someone is offering an opinion about what they think happened within the band, or in a lot of cases, are citing actual statements about what happened made by people who were a lot closer to the action, those are NOT "insults". If someone wants to say Mick is a this or that or Stevie is a diva or Lindsey is a brat, or whatever... THAT IS NOT AN INSULT to anyone on this board for pete's sake. It's someone's opinion, and in some cases a comment based on a statement we have high confidence is actually true about what went on. You can disagree, and offer an alternative perspective, but if someone wants to insult Stevie, or Lindsey for that matter, or Mick, NO ONE in this forum should somehow take that as an insult to THEMSELVES. Someone hating on a band member is NOT an attack on other fans. Unless they actually insult another fan.

People need to stop being so personally offended when someone doesn't like their favorite band member, or when someone proposes a theory they don't like, or when people are talking about a topic you aren't interested in or are tired of discussing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking about Fleetwood Mac on The Ledge? What a novel concept indeed!

Now the only question is whether one wants to discuss selected individual members or the Pre-Rumours, Rumours, Post-Rumours lineups of the band.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what a novel concept, right?

so perfectly said.

i took this out to a separate thread, because it was a reaction in and to a thread that clearly doesn't belong in this forum - while the write up above does. but that out-of-place thread was for some non-explicable reason posted twice in 2 different forums, even though it belongs in neither, and allowed to be talked about, in both forums.

and then, this perfect post immediately received this rebuttal (under the guise of agreeing with it):

what or who exactly is a "lindsey freak"? seems that you just invented yet another name to bully people, while spouting against name calling. you can't have it both ways, boy.

"You can't have it both ways, boy?"

I think anyone else who read my post knows what I was trying to convey, and I think you did, too.

Our posting styles are just very different, that's all.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Talking about Fleetwood Mac on The Ledge? What a novel concept indeed!

Now the only question is whether one wants to discuss selected individual members or the Pre-Rumours, Rumours, Post-Rumours lineups of the band.
Yay for all the provided forums

I adore The Ledge, I must say. I hope it prevails eternally.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"You can't have it both ways, boy?"

I think anyone else who read my post knows what I was trying to convey, and I think you did, too. .
huh? yes, everyone understood and several people called you on it - you can't have it both ways: YOU are calling people names - in the same post in which you were ranting against calling people names.

i have NEVER ever heard the term "Lindsey freaks." so please tell me - what or who is a "Lindsey freak"? and how is calling anyone "freak" not calling names?

Old 05-05-2018, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not understand the whiny concept of "namecalling" in this forum. That's what happens when people are pissed and right now, most people are pissed, albeit for different reasons, which is the one unifying factor on this board. But noone called anyone an asshole or worse, so imho the whole being oh-so-sensitive about "namecalling" is just emo-bullcrap. Every time something happens with Fleetwood Mac, this board discusses namecalling, instead of just have a go with their opinions and stand behind the emotions that make everyone write in the first place - name them like they are and put the blame where it belongs - onto this stupid band. Or - have a good fight here, that's at least more entertaining than the passive-aggressive pseudo feuding that goes on right now. Get a grip and speak your mind - honest, direct and without being such sissys.

So THAT was rude. I needed that. Bite me.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:

Quote:

I think anyone else who read my post knows what I was trying to convey, and I think you did, too.
I get what bwboy was trying to say, and he certainly hasn't shown any indication on this site that he's a bully

"Lindsey freak" was just used as an example of a term that would be equivalent to "Children of Stevie" - which kind of implies that any Stevie fan is some kind of freak.
And so what reaction would that have in Lindsey fans? - clearly not a good one.

Anyway....... Elle, as you pointed out, it was Anti-bullying day yesterday, maybe we could have anti-bullying day on here instead today. Yes have disagreements, but leave out the nastiness just for a day. It is possible? I hope so
Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I get what bwboy was trying to say, and he certainly hasn't shown any indication on this site that he's a bully

"Lindsey freak" was just used as an example of a term that would be equivalent to "Children of Stevie" - which kind of implies that any Stevie fan is some kind of freak.
i still don't get what he was trying to say. he was talking against name calling, and then made up yet another name to call people - something-or-other freaks. i don't understand how making up another name for people one doesn't agree with is trying to calm waters.

but i'll gladly listen. and i'm still waiting to hear where that "freak"-name calling came from.

maybe i'm just dense but equating the name that was used (whatever you feeling may be on it!) with the one made up on spot? that makes no sense.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
IElle, as you pointed out, it was Anti-bullying day yesterday, maybe we could have anti-bullying day on here instead today. Yes have disagreements, but leave out the nastiness just for a day. It is possible? I hope so
also, are you implying i am being nasty? believe me, i can be nasty. and i hold back here, quiet a lot.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i still don't get what he was trying to say. he was talking against name calling, and then made up yet another name to call people - something-or-other freaks. i don't understand how making up another name for people one doesn't agree with is trying to calm waters.

but i'll gladly listen. and i'm still waiting to hear where that "freak"-name calling came from.

maybe i'm just dense but equating the name that was used (whatever you feeling may be on it!) with the one made up on spot? that makes no sense.
There had been quite a few derogatory terms used for Stevie fans lately, and generally people weren't reacting to it, which is great. But does that make it ok? I think bwboy was just trying to demonstrate - how would others feel if derogatory terms were used for Lindsey fans? What kind if reaction does that cause on the board, and how about we all try not to do it so much.

That was my understanding, but maybe I'm not able to explain it well enough, and possibly he'll be able to explain it better than I can.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There had been quite a few derogatory terms used for Stevie fans lately, .
i do appreciate your efforts, so thanks for that! wonder which ones? in the first post i quoted here, bombay listed following:

"for anyone unhappy with the current FM situation, whether they are FM fans, LB fans, BN fans, or SN fans, these were the terms tossed around here:
Pathetic
Hateful
A Lindsey fanatic...
Have I missed any of the names that have been thrown around on here by Stevie diehards, who are all upset because they have been called
Children of Stevie
Chiffonheads"

Old 05-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
also, are you implying i am being nasty? believe me, i can be nasty. and i hold back here, quiet a lot.
no that certainly wasn't my intention - sorry if it came across that way. I was talking about the general nastiness lately on the board - it seems to have escalated in the past couple of weeks. I know we are going to fight and disagree on here, as that comes with FM territory, but I was suggesting just trying to leave out the worst of the b*tchiness just for a day.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i do appreciate your efforts, so thanks for that! wonder which ones? in the first post i quoted here, bombay listed following:

"for anyone unhappy with the current FM situation, whether they are FM fans, LB fans, BN fans, or SN fans, these were the terms tossed around here:
Pathetic
Hateful
A Lindsey fanatic...
Children of Stevie
Chiffonheads"
I think his comments came after a post I made yesterday, that a few posters were up in arms about someone saying "pathetic", and I reminded those people that just the day before they were perfectly happy to use the term "Children of Stevie are out of their cells again" as soon as anyone said anything in defence of the rest of the band members.

I think bwboy was looking for a term that would be equivalent to the CoS to demonstrate how derogatory it is, and can we refrain from describing other people here in those terms.

I really didn't want to bring this topic up again, just trying to explain.

And yes we can all try to be not so sensitive about things, but it's also ok to try to sort these issues out.

Hope I'm making some kind of sense???
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no that certainly wasn't my intention - sorry if it came across that way. I was talking about the general nastiness lately on the board - it seems to have escalated in the past couple of weeks. I know we are going to fight and disagree on here, as that comes with FM territory, but I was suggesting just trying to leave out the worst of the b*tchiness just for a day.
thanks for clarifying. again i do appreciate it - and any honest discussion. makes the world more interesting! people trying to shut down any discussion and disagreements is what is so puzzling. i guess people are so used to groupthink these days, that they are losing the skills of civil arguing and debate?

back to FM topic: you know what i find really interesting? the divide in the fandom right now seems to be actually less than it used to be in recent years:
  • used to be SN fans vs LB fans vs BN fans vs FM fans and then all different combinations.
  • now it's mostly LB + BN + FM5 + disappointed SN fans all on one side, and then mostly SN-only + pre-and post-BNera FM on the other.

another difference i see is that it seems the 2 groups are much more entrenched in their views than all these fragmented groups of fans seemed to have been. also interesting: all these SN fans who would normally only go to SN solo shows and hate FM ones now all of the sudden being the staunchest defenders of FM.