The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why is Lindsey making it sound like taking requests is so hard? He knows good and well that he just prepares a few songs and no matter what the crowd asks for, he's only going to play one of the 3-4 that he's already rehearsed. People could scream Lola all night long, they're only going to get SMAP. So, it's not like he has to prepare for months to "take requests."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
But, I have to say (not a popular opinion, probably)...I hated the canned music/backbeat/whatever the hell those contraptions are. When he started I'm So Afraid...I thought...eh. Toward the end, I found it absolutely distracting. I actually questioned whether Lindsey was playing the guitar himself (I know he was but it all sounded so ... weird).
And this is my only problem with it. It harms the integrity of it. Not for musicians and sound guys who know what is what, but for an average Joe, you'll think that's not all really Lindsey you're hearing. Since The Dance everyone has talked about Big Love (even though he was doing it like that long before The Dance) and how they can't believe one man was playing melody and rhythm and they marvelled. Lindsey was proud and his fans were proud of that. I don't want anything to impair our bragging rights.

Now, I think people may doubt if it's really just him. Not on Big Love so much, but on a song like ISA. I really think when you hear piped in music in one part of the set, you'll start to suspect it others, even when it's not there.

And I know that he's been adding music all along, but it's different this time. Reminds me of a very old commercial: is it live or is it Memorex?

Michele
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Reminds me of a very old commercial: is it live or is it Memorex?

Michele

Like my fake setlists idea, I wonder what would
happen if someone got to Lindsey's music machine
(hard drive) and replaced some of the canned music
with a few tracks from Buckingham Nicks?

It would be funny to see the look on his face and
the crowds reaction.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[This woman saw a NY show. I'm not sure which one]

By Marie Nixon, The Guardian (blog post)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture-pr...?newsfeed=true

As I write this I am negotiating the online check in to my flight home from New York. I'm fresh from a blistering solo show by Fleetwood Mac genius Lindsey Buckingham so I'm struggling to concentrate on flight numbers and seat allocations.

In this US culture where the primacy of the individuals' decision making is unquestioned, I doubt the confidence-annihilating "Wad ya dare?" factor gains much traction. Personally, I'm closer to finding a balance between American-style confidence, a strength in my vulnerabilities and perhaps a healthy modicum of the playground.

Perhaps I should look to Lindsey Buckingham as an example. This evening as the crowd went beyond crackers at the close of each soul-bearing, vulnerability-exposing song he quietly and confidently accepted the adulation with a simple "thank you" – but then, he should be confident; he is a genius.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[This woman saw a NY show. I'm not sure which one]

By Marie Nixon, The Guardian (blog post)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture-pr...?newsfeed=true

As I write this I am negotiating the online check in to my flight home from New York. I'm fresh from a blistering solo show by Fleetwood Mac genius Lindsey Buckingham so I'm struggling to concentrate on flight numbers and seat aallocations.

In this US culture where the primacy of the individuals' decision making is unquestioned, I doubt the confidence-annihilating "Wad ya dare?" factor gains much traction. Personally, I'm closer to finding a balance between American-style confidence, a strength in my vulnerabilities and perhaps a healthy modicum of the playground.

Perhaps I should look to Lindsey Buckingham as an example. This evening as the crowd went beyond crackers at the close of each soul-bearing, vulnerability-exposing song he quietly and confidently accepted the adulation with a simple "thank you" – but then, he should be confident; he is a genius.
She was at the 2nd NYC show.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Ledgie

Hey Ledgies- New member here - I was at the June 5 show at BB King's. Rock Away Blind!! Fabulous! I was the person sitting right at stage center, with the set list inches from me. I had written a couple of requests on napkins (Bel Air Rain, which I knew there was pretty much zero chance he would play) and Rock Away Blind (which I thought had a decent chance). A couple of other napkins were there too - another RAB and Bwana I think (!!!!), and a Rodeo. At end of show, I was tossing those napkins up there - Lindsey looked down and smiled, and said 'what is this, like request night?' He looked over the requests and said there was some good stuff there. I said, c'mon, Rock Away Blind!' He said something like like, 'man, it's not really ready' or something like that, but then all of a sudden he launched into it. After the song, he was like 'ok, how was that?' How was that???? THAT was amazing! I'll take it even without the outro. In fact, it sounded so 'pure' after the weird pre-recorded backing tracks of the rest of the evening. I mean, I loved the show as always, but I agree that, if he does need some backup, it's gotta be people! At one point, you could hear his prerecorded voice counting down the start of a song, and that was just....a little odd-sounding, like a kid with an imaginary friend or something My last comment is that I was surprised there was so little talking to the audience between songs. I mean, that can be a blessing too, but in this case, it was just like bam bam one after the other, and to me, it made the show feel kind of rushed, esp since they were mostly songs ppl are very familiar with. He was like Joey Ramone up there one after the other!! Great site you guys - sorry for such long first post!!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Hey Ledgies- New member here - I was at the June 5 show at BB King's. Rock Away Blind!! Fabulous! I was the person sitting right at stage center, with the set list inches from me. I had written a couple of requests on napkins (Bel Air Rain, which I knew there was pretty much zero chance he would play) and Rock Away Blind (which I thought had a decent chance). A couple of other napkins were there too - another RAB and Bwana I think (!!!!), and a Rodeo. At end of show, I was tossing those napkins up there - Lindsey looked down and smiled, and said 'what is this, like request night?' He looked over the requests and said there was some good stuff there. I said, c'mon, Rock Away Blind!' He said something like like, 'man, it's not really ready' or something like that, but then all of a sudden he launched into it. After the song, he was like 'ok, how was that?' How was that???? THAT was amazing! I'll take it even without the outro. In fact, it sounded so 'pure' after the weird pre-recorded backing tracks of the rest of the evening. I mean, I loved the show as always, but I agree that, if he does need some backup, it's gotta be people! At one point, you could hear his prerecorded voice counting down the start of a song, and that was just....a little odd-sounding, like a kid with an imaginary friend or something My last comment is that I was surprised there was so little talking to the audience between songs. I mean, that can be a blessing too, but in this case, it was just like bam bam one after the other, and to me, it made the show feel kind of rushed, esp since they were mostly songs ppl are very familiar with. He was like Joey Ramone up there one after the other!! Great site you guys - sorry for such long first post!!
I absolutely loved the pre-recorded countdowns - started to look forward to them!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
welcome and please don't be sorry - way to come in with the bang!!

btw, are you the person whoever recorded the vid of RAB was referring to? either way - good work with those napkins!!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And this is my only problem with it. It harms the integrity of it. Not for musicians and sound guys who know what is what, but for an average Joe, you'll think that's not all really Lindsey you're hearing. Since The Dance everyone has talked about Big Love (even though he was doing it like that long before The Dance) and how they can't believe one man was playing melody and rhythm and they marvelled. Lindsey was proud and his fans were proud of that. I don't want anything to impair our bragging rights.

Now, I think people may doubt if it's really just him. Not on Big Love so much, but on a song like ISA.
i hear what you are saying but it seems hard core fans are overthinking this. in all the reviews, tweets and other social media published impressions, i have yet to see somebody thinking it is not him. everybody is completely blown away by his guitar skills, the strength of his voice, his ability to wow everybody - and that so much music can be coming out of just one person.

he makes it VERY clear with that pre-recorded counting which songs and parts have a backing track. i understand and hear people who are annoyed by it, to me it just sounds honest... and i LOVE this new version of ISA.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At one point, you could hear his prerecorded voice counting down the start of a song, and that was just....a little odd-sounding, like a kid with an imaginary friend or something
Ha, you make me think of Harvey, the giant, invisible rabbit.

Quote:
Great site you guys - sorry for such long first post!!
Welcome, Juniper. Even though, Flying Down Juniper is a love boat song..

Michele
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he makes it VERY clear with that pre-recorded counting which songs and parts have a backing track.
Yeah? I don't trust him. I don't think he even knows how to play the guitar anymore. I think it's pantomine.

Michele
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah? I don't trust him. I don't think he even knows how to play the guitar anymore. I think it's pantomine.

Michele
must be.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Heh

Lindsey is just doing what all the cool kids are.....hologram, baby!!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had written a couple of requests on napkins... A couple of other napkins were there too - another RAB and Bwana I think (!!!!), and a Rodeo. At end of show, I was tossing those napkins up there - Lindsey looked down and smiled, and said 'what is this, like request night?' He looked over the requests and said there was some good stuff there. I said, c'mon, Rock Away Blind!' He said something like like, 'man, it's not really ready' or something like that, but then all of a sudden he launched into it. After the song, he was like 'ok, how was that?' How was that????
Cool post juniper.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Like my fake setlists idea, I wonder what would
happen if someone got to Lindsey's music machine
(hard drive) and replaced some of the canned music
with a few tracks from Buckingham Nicks?

It would be funny to see the look on his face and
the crowds reaction.
LOL! Great idea!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing is...the dude now has a really large body of work to draw upon. So, if you are doing this somewhat "experimental," gutsy move of doing songs without a band...Do it! Pick the songs that you can do with just your guitar up there. I mean, I don't actually think this is a tour for casual fans at all. I think it's for us hard-core folk. And, we have heard ISA, Big Love, Come, etc... a gazillion times. So, if you can't do it without that crappy machine...pick something else.
The sound, to me, at BB Kings the other night--that venue...that size room...was not great. For such a perfectionist...it's surprising that he is going this route. Especially when he doesn't have to.
He has to see and hear the reaction to Rock Away Blind...we are VERY, VERY open to new stuff.

Anyway, I am seeing him tomorrow night. Will see if The Machine will sound better in a larger venue.