Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition question

So, if the label releases a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I know there are a number of alternate versions and songs that could be included. My question is, would the label release the Tango tour dvd or CD on a Behind the Mask edition, or on a Tango in the Night Deluxe Edition? The concert supported Tango, but featured the lineup on Behind the Mask. An argument could be made for either case, I think.

On a Behind the Mask Deluxe Edition, I would want the original album remastered. On the second CD, I would love to see As Long As You Follow, No Questions Asked, Paper Doll, Love Shines, Heart of Stone, and the Game of Love included, along with alternate takes. Then the concert dvd with ALL the songs from that concert.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I agree with everything you said. I would love to see and hear it but I don't see them re-releasing the album in any way. The album was not that successful to merit a re-release. That is not me talking...its the record company. In addition, Lindsey is back with the band. It would be an odd thing to do.
But I can imagine the treasures of amazing music hidden somewhere.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are several Rick Vito songs that were never used.
Behind The Mask Deluxe would never see the light of day in a million years.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Tango is released as a Deluxe Edition and does well, I think the label would release one for Behind the Mask. It's just more money to make off a minimal investment!
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If BTM is released, we should get optional album covers for it in the special edition.

Michele
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, man, no kidding! I just read the Penquin interviews with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette from 1999 and 2000, and I was shocked to learn the record label chose that cover. All this time I thought the band made that poor decision. Even a picture of a mask would have been better than the final product. Only thing I can think of is the label didn't want buyers to know Lindsey wasn't still in the band- like people didn't already know that!

Btw, the original title of the album was Twist of Fate. I don't think any of the songs had that phrase in the lyrics, though.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Strange. I guess Rick and Billy are telling the truth about the cover? Was it in Mick's latest book (or somewhere else) where the artist was given the task of creating a cover that best described the band at that time.
I guess I am in the minority because I like the cover. A mask would have been too cheezy. They had masks on stage during their concerts and on the cover of their concert program.
I have always LOVED the mystery of the cover and tried to read things into it. A woman is standing away from a group and sulking. Is it Stevie? A hidden swipe at Lindsey?
Old 10-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Rick Vito was adamant that there was no hidden meaning in the cover. Out of curiosity, what about the cover makes you think the Stevie on the cover was a swipe against Lindsey?

I think the people on the show represented FM, and the young girl is Stevie and the other woman is Christine. Visually, it's an unattractive cover, but the packaging inside is awesome.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the cover used for Behind the mask. I *don't* like that the band didn't choose it.

I like to see a deluxe edition similar to what we've got for Tusk, Mirage, etc... but I do think it is unlikely. Hell, even a vinyl reissue would be nice. But, it is a niche album that appeals to a very small group of fans, with no broader public appeal.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Well, Rick Vito was adamant that there was no hidden meaning in the cover. Out of curiosity, what about the cover makes you think the Stevie on the cover was a swipe against Lindsey?

I think the people on the show represented FM, and the young girl is Stevie and the other woman is Christine. Visually, it's an unattractive cover, but the packaging inside is awesome.
I will have to check Mick's book this weekend because I swear he wrote about this photo. However, I bet Rick and Billy have clearer minds and probably remember the truth. Its quite possible the artist was asked to create several pictures and the band left it to the record company to select the final one. I find it VERY odd a band would leave this decision to the record company though.

I was offering suggestions about the cover. You have a literal visual interpretation of the artwork. Many times there are hidden meanings in art and paintings. I was offering "off the cuff" possiblities of WHAT the artist was trying to convey with the picture.
How would you convey the woman's expression on the cover? There is a band playing in the background. I dont interpret it the way you do in a literal sense. I dont see the artist depicting each band member in the picture. I see the picture as a whole expressing an idea or expression.
Is the woman sulking? She looks upset and almost jealous of something.
I want to know what Mick meant by it was the artist's interpretation of the band's chemistry at that time.
I LOVE THIS COVER. Its full of mystery and interpretation. THAT is what an album cover should convey. I got mostly flamed here by saying the Tango album cover was the worst in their history. There was NO thought in that cover. It just was Lindsey's favorite painting by that Australian artist. In some ways it was fitting because Tango was a Lindsey solo album so it would make sense he picked his favorite painting for the cover. There is no mystery. Its just a painting that looks like you could buy a velvet version at your local flea market. It means NOTHING for the band. Nowhere in that cover is a story about anything about Fleetwood Mac.
The BTM album cover is telling a story. What I see in the story is probably what you dont see in the story and vice versa. And that my friend is WHY its such an amazing cover.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-05-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Macfan4life, I'm glad you like the cover, I guess I would have preferred seeing some of the band members instead. But your analysis reminded me of something I read on a different thread- that the BTM cover showed Stevie turning her back on the band, and that was happening again now, with Stevie refusing to commit to recording another album with them.
That made me laugh, because another interpretation of the cover could be that Stevie is ready to get to work, but she's waiting on the rest of the band to get off their butt!

Rick Vito said in the interview that the band had no input into the cover and he really, really didn't like it. I think he said they were all pretty disappointed with it. He also said the people on the cover weren't professional models or anything, but people the photographer found in Mississippi. I have no idea if he was kidding about that last part, but it didn't sound like it.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan4life, I'm glad you like the cover, I guess I would have preferred seeing some of the band members instead. But your analysis reminded me of something I read on a different thread- that the BTM cover showed Stevie turning her back on the band, and that was happening again now, with Stevie refusing to commit to recording another album with them.
That made me laugh, because another interpretation of the cover could be that Stevie is ready to get to work, but she's waiting on the rest of the band to get off their butt!

Rick Vito said in the interview that the band had no input into the cover and he really, really didn't like it. I think he said they were all pretty disappointed with it. He also said the people on the cover weren't professional models or anything, but people the photographer found in Mississippi. I have no idea if he was kidding about that last part, but it didn't sound like it.
When the album came out, I was very frustrated with the cover. I would study it and wonder what it meant. Who are these people? Who is this woman? Why does she have her back to the band and seems upset? IMHO, I don't see the creator shaming Stevie in anyway although that is a far too easy conclusion to make. There definitely is an emotion to the cover and its portrayed in mystery and open to interpretation which makes it SO GOOD. Is her emotion or face the mask that the band is behind?
I would say its so different that its cool. I also love the gypsy almost carnival feel to the band players behind her.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

my favorite version of Fleetwood Mac
Old 10-07-2016, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The pouty chick is Lindsey leaving the band as the others play on
Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.dgorton.com/bhndmask.html

Well Mick seemed involved somewhere if the photographer is correct.