Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Top Ten Solo List from Ultimate CLassic Rock (.com)

Top 10 Lindsey Buckingham Solo Songs
By Nick DeRiso

Lindsey Buckingham‘s career away from Fleetwood Mac began as something of an experimental lark before it finally turned into something more accessible on 1992’s ‘Out of the Cradle.’ Arriving in the wake of his split with Mac following 1987’s ‘Tango in the Night,’ ‘Cradle’ pointed to more consistent and commercial-minded work. Buckingham has continued to shape his creativity with focus and accessibility (usually playing every instrument himself) — something that couldn’t be said of some of his earliest attempts to break free from the band that made him famous. The songs on our list of the Top 10 Lindsey Buckingham Solo Songs aren’t leftover Fleetwood Mac cuts. Instead, they’re the best attempts of an always-searching artist to explore new corners in his rock ‘n’ roll playground.

‘Don’t Look Down’

The opening of ‘Don’t Look Down’ provides a terrific early example of Buckingham’s modern electro-acoustic style, which recalls classical nylon-string guitar. He then launches into a brilliantly layered pop confection that sounds very much like the music he made on what was then assumed to be his final Mac album, ‘Tango in the Night

‘Go Insane’

At first, Buckingham used his solo projects to try out more free-form ideas (check out ‘Go Insane”s ‘D.W. Suite,’ an intriguing tribute to the Beach Boys‘ Dennis Wilson). But when he put his mind to it, Buckingham could unleash a hit like ‘Go Insane.’ Later retooled as a slow-boiling solo number at Fleetwood Mac concerts, this tale of romantic entanglement went all the way to No. 23

‘Gift of Screws’

A classic Buckingham howler supposedly inspired by an Emily Dickinson poem, ‘Gift of Screws’ was originally recorded for Fleetwood Mac’s 2003 album ‘Say You Will,’ but it didn’t show up until five years later on Buckingham’s solo LP of the same name. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie provide a stomping cadence, but, in a thrilling moment, the song nearly comes unhinged with Buckingham’s eruptive guitar solo

‘Holiday Road’

Hard to believe this seemingly ubiquitous, deliriously fun track made it to only No. 83. Credit the use of ‘Holiday Road’ in the opening credits of ‘National Lampoon’s Vacation’ and in two of its three sequels — 1985’s ‘National Lampoon’s European Vacation’ and 1997’s ‘Vegas Vacation.’ A complete hoot, right down to the barking dog during the fade.

‘Countdown’

The opening lick points to some kind of anthem, but then Buckingham headfakes into this gorgeously languid lament. That complexity — which has always powered his best music, with and without Fleetwood Mac — is probably to blame for this track’s failure to crack the Top 100.

‘Seeds We Sow’

Forget Buckingham’s soapy relationship — musical and otherwise — with Stevie Nicks. This song, presented amid a torrent of solo guitar, is one of his rawest examinations of life’s last act. Recorded at home, ‘Seeds We Sow’ sounds like a secret shared with the listener and no one else.

‘Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind’

Buckingham’s fabled attention to craft is shown in high relief on this towering song of sadness, a rare track on our list of the Top 10 Lindsey Buckingham Solo Songs to feature someone other than the artist himself. David Campbell’s swirling orchestration gives ‘Someone’s Gonna Change’ a sense of panoramic emotion. And that’s Mick Fleetwood sitting in on drums once again.

‘Stars Are Crazy’

The largely acoustic ‘Seeds We Sow,’ Buckingham’s first self-released album following a lengthy stint with Warner Bros. Records, is dominated by concurrent introspection, with ‘Stars Are Crazy’ a highlight. When Buckingham launches into the darkly emotional chorus (“Sometimes we analyze, almost apologize … wondering if the stars are crazy“), he perfectly captures the spiraling emptiness of a lost love.

‘Soul Drifter’

A pretty little pop pastry on the surface, this wanderer’s tale is every bit as revelatory as any of Buckingham’s more recent and far more denuded solo efforts. It’s no surprise that Buckingham is such a restless artist. But he’s never expressed those gypsy desires so eloquently, and certainly never in such an infectious setting.

‘Trouble’

The endlessly fascinating ‘Trouble’ (a Top 10 hit) sets an introspective template for Buckingham’s entire solo career — even as it hurtles along on one of his most unforgettable hooks. At times, it’s like he’s in on the joke, an eternal optimist who can easily get past whatever that trouble was. Other times — as when it’s more fully explored in concert — the space between that cocksure young man and graying middle-age uncertainty becomes a chasm.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I'm very happy to have Gift of Screws included in that. It belongs back in his solo setlist. It's a very short song and can easily fit in.

Michele
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Best Lindsey songs

It was you
and
all the rest
Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another toughie!

Frozen Love
Trouble
Tango in the Night
What Makes You Think You're the One
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News
Go Your Own Way
Shut Us Down
Tusk
Caroline
Under the Skin
Family Man
The Right Place to Fade
Not That Funny

I feel like tomorrow I could give 15 different ones.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpai View Post
Another toughie!

Frozen Love
Trouble
Tango in the Night
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News
Go Your Own Way
Shut Us Down
Tusk
Caroline
Under the Skin
Family Man
The Right Place to Fade
Not That Funny

What Makes You Think You're the One usually gets trashed. Personally, it is my favorite LB song from Tusk. Nice seeing it turn up your list. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
What Makes You Think You're the One usually gets trashed. Personally, it is my favorite LB song from Tusk. Nice seeing it turn up your list. Thank you!
I love it soooo much. Today it came up on my shuffle while I was walking. Extra bounce in my step!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Another toughie!

Frozen Love
Trouble
Tango in the Night
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Second Hand News
Go Your Own Way
Shut Us Down
Tusk
Caroline
Under the Skin
Family Man
The Right Place to Fade
Not That Funny

And I see I left Soul Drifter out ... One of my all-time faves. I don't get how my brain works sometimes.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What Makes You Think You're the One and Walk A Thin Line are my favorite LB songs from Tusk.

actually, they are my favorite 2 Tusk songs, period.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
What Makes You Think You're the One and Walk A Thin Line are my favorite LB songs from Tusk.

actually, they are my favorite 2 Tusk songs, period.
Walk A Thin Line is great.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love it soooo much. Today it came up on my shuffle while I was walking. Extra bounce in my step!
It gets stuck in my head when ever I hear it, and I always tap my feet to it. It puts me a great mood if I'm feeling blue. Frozen Love and Go Insane are really good, too!

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 05-24-2016 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Typo..........
Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It gets stuck in my head when ever O hear it, and I always tap my feet to it. It puts me a great mood if I'm feeling blue. Frozen Love and Go Insane are really good, too!
Absolutely!! Which Go Insane do you prefer? I grew up with the original, but I also love the newer versions. And Frozen Love I just don't have words for.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely!! Which Go Insane do you prefer? I grew up with the original, but I also love the newer versions. And Frozen Love I just don't have words for.
It has always been the original, but I have soft spot for all of the other versions. It's such a phenomenal song. Like you said about Frozen Love it is just indescribable! An absolute masterpiece is what it is, really. I've never gotten tired of it and I play it alot. Completly amazing song. D.W. Suite is another great piece from his solo work and I like the fact that he wrote it for Dennis Wilson after his untimely death. Very classy and touching.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 05-24-2016 at 08:30 PM..
Old 05-25-2016, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It has always been the original, but I have soft spot for all of the other versions. It's such a phenomenal song. Like you said about Frozen Love it is just indescribable! An absolute masterpiece is what it is, really. I've never gotten tired of it and I play it alot. Completly amazing song. D.W. Suite is another great piece from his solo work and I like the fact that he wrote it for Dennis Wilson after his untimely death. Very classy and touching.
Ah yes, absolutely, you definitely get that special feeling Lindsey had for Dennis in that. Wonderful choice.
I agree that Frozen Love is a masterpiece. In construction, in lyrics, in tone, just love it to bits and pieces. (Hey, I found some words! Even if I can't put the finger on how it lifts me up.)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'll exclude 'All My Sorrows' as Lindsey didn't write it, even though it would probably be #1 if I included it. Love that song.

1. Soul Drifter
2. I Know I'm Not Wrong
3. Trouble
4. Cast Away Dreams
5. Say We'll Meet Again
6. Say Goodbye
7. Walk A Thin Line
8. Bleed to Love Her
9. Steals Your Heart Away
10. Second Hand News
11. DW Suite
12. Never Going Back Again
13. Go Your Own Way
14. Shut Us Down
15. Monday Morning

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."

Last edited by The Highwayman; 05-26-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) Second Hand News
2) Never Going Back Again
3) I Know I'm Not Wrong
4) Countdown
5) Steal Your Heart Away
6) Monday Morning
7) What Makes You Think You're The One?
8) Blue Letter
9) Book Of Love
10) Trouble