User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, that's the problem. That was the beauty of FM, the personalities fit so well together. Sure, there was a lot of friction, but no one was trying to play the same role. I think Sheryl and Lindsey's talents are more similar than his and Christine's were and they are more likely to clash than complement one another.

I can just see them now arguing about whose Crystal rules.

Anyway, if Lindsey is not strong enough to be her man, then I hope he's strong enough to say no to the millions he could make with FM and just walk away. Again. I don't want him to compromise.

Michele
He compromises with every FM situation, so why should this be any different? And even though he probably has tons of money stashed away, it must be a total buzzkill to go from making 8-figures in 2003-2004 to probably not even making barely 7-figures after that. There must be a side of him that still loves flying around in a private jet and playing the largest stages of the world. Otherwise he would have left and never come back a long time ago.

I can definitely see how Lindsey probably felt like the king of the hill after Christine left. So now he's going to have to eat some humble pie and get back to working as a team. I think this could only be a good thing.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
He compromises with every FM situation, so why should this be any different? And even though he probably has tons of money stashed away, it must be a total buzzkill to go from making 8-figures in 2003-2004 to probably not even making barely 7-figures after that. There must be a side of him that still loves flying around in a private jet and playing the largest stages of the world. Otherwise he would have left and never come back a long time ago.

I can definitely see how Lindsey probably felt like the king of the hill after Christine left. So now he's going to have to eat some humble pie and get back to working as a team. I think this could only be a good thing.
Why should he need to eat humble pie at this stage in his career and what has he done wrong that he needs to eat humble pie anyway? People are usually only served humble pie as a penalty when they've usurped their boundaries. Lindsey hasn't done that. The very idea that having Sheryl around will somehow keep him in line is a big reason I would be against her inclusion. I don't want him in line. I may want him to work with an outside producer (like Ken or Richard), but I am very happy with him being who he, Tusk, is.

Furthermore, working as a team is only a good thing if the teamwork contemplated has merit. I don't want Lindsey to work as a team to put out garbage. If compromise works to the greater good, fine. Compromise for the sake of compromise alone is meaningless.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
But don't you think that Sheryl is in a perfect position to play the intermediary ala Christine? She has the musical chops and the producer/songwriter/engineer chops that Lindsey has, yet she also speaks from a feminine point of view.
I don't know that I'd compare her chops to Lindsey's just because 1. he's my favorite and 2. their experiences are totally different, her coming from a solo situation from the start, etc. But. I do think she is the perfect person to play mediator, and honestly, if they're going to haul in another "name" musician, I would rather it be Sheryl than any of the pop tarts floating around out there now.

As a side note, I thought Brett did a fine job on the keys during the SYW tour, and I gained quite a bit extra respect for him during Lindsey's solo tour... so I hope there's still some work for him to do with the new round.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be interesting if someone were to do a poll...

Sheryl in?
Sheryl out?

As for me, I have never seen the Mac in concert and am grateful that I live near Denver, which I presume they would hit. Soooo ..... I am glad that they will come out one more time.

After listening to the Best Buy interviews from 1997 --
Chris basically says The Dance is the Swan Song, but that it was fun seeing Stevie take herself not so seriously and finding her sense of humor again.

Lindsey says he'll keep the door open if it feels right.

Mick is optimisitic and saying, this is just the beginning.... we've never thrown in the towel and said we're washed up. If we had done that, there would have been no Stevie & Lindsey.

John says - Lindsey was very generous, and allowed him to play his own parts... The Dance was interesting to bring them all back for the third (?) time...

And Stevie was all over the place in her comments, with a lot of "you knows" ...

With Sheryl Crow? Only the Gods Know the outcome...

Maybe she will spark something...something that was missing with Say You Will.

I am just glad to get a chance to see them...

Thanks Vivfox for keeping your ear to the ground...and your fingers on the keyboard...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't have a problem with SYW other than Silver Hurl.. I really don't understand why it always gets so much hate. It'd be nice to have Christine, but I thought the album was solid.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

I have just got a email back from Ken Cailat it look like it true Sheryl Crow is replacing christine For a new album and tour in the fall
Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I agree. It seems that Stevie needed a female friend on the tour or she wasn't going to do it so with Christine out of the picture it looks like it's Sheryl Crow.
That's what I think is happening here, Gail. Stevie Nicks is finagling this.

Quote:
She's not really going to join the band as a permanent member is she?
I guess that hasn't really been settled yet. But Sheryl might as well join permanently. Otherwise why bother? What's the musical difference between recording & touring with the band as a member or as a "guest"? If Fleetwood Mac just wants a Name to tour with, why not pick an even bigger name? There are probably several bigger bands out there that would agree or want to co-tour with Fleetwood Mac. Why take Sheryl out unless as a permanent, new member?

And why are they even considering adding people now anyway? What, do they feel a second wind? Are they planning on cranking up the activity at this stage? Don't they want to retire yet from the grind? If she's watching this, Christine probably thinks they're all unhinged.

Hmmm. . . maybe it's a record label "suggestion." Beef up the old album sales, eh? Try to break that glass ceiling of 900,000 copies or whatever. With Fleetwood Mac's numbers & Sheryl Crow's numbers combined, you can sell 2 million! The suits undoubtedly consider that preferable to the status quo.

Last edited by David; 03-14-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: It occurs to me ...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked Say You Will. It had a lot of music (18 songs).

I read where Stevie said it didn't work and others have said something was missing. I do miss the dominate organ playing that Chris brought to the band, rather than someone playing it part-time.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
I have just got a email back from Ken Cailat it look like it true Sheryl Crow is replacing christine For a new album and tour in the fall

I'm glad you and Ken are the new authorities.

Me? I'll wait for an official announcement. FM fans, especially message board newbies, have always had a tendency to stir up ridiculous rumors and perpetrate them as "fact". I'm just not falling for it.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
Way to take one for the Team, Trotter! Good Bloodhound work there!

¡Muchas Gracias! and keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
. . . If she's watching this, Christine probably thinks they're all unhinged.
Actually, I think she likely could care a less. But, if she did, why wouldn't she be for it. CM does not come across to me like she is a bitter or jealous woman who sees this as sour grapes. So, I say she'd say something like people come and go in FM and that is just the way it is.

I think it is far more likely that she thinks they are batty for wanting to keep on at this at their age.

But, to each their own I guess.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Incidentally, the new (March/April) Performing Songwriter features Sheryl. Not a single FM or SN mention. Mostly talking about how shes being outspoken about politics, being a mom, and battling breast cancer.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Actually, I think she likely could care a less. But, if she did, why wouldn't she be for it. CM does not come across to me like she is a bitter or jealous woman who sees this as sour grapes. So, I say she'd say something like people come and go in FM and that is just the way it is.
You misunderstood me. My point was that Chris probably thinks they're all nuts to continue with the grind of the music business into their 60s. Of course she doesn't care who's in the group -- that's beyond doubt.

Quote:
I think it is far more likely that she thinks they are batty for wanting to keep on at this at their age.
That's precisely what I meant, strand.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Touche and detente

As for SC's politics - that will end when she joins The Mac.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Why should he need to eat humble pie at this stage in his career and what has he done wrong that he needs to eat humble pie anyway?
It's about the mucho dinero. Always has, always will be. No FM, no money.

Quote:
People are usually only served humble pie as a penalty when they've usurped their boundaries. Lindsey hasn't done that. The very idea that having Sheryl around will somehow keep him in line is a big reason I would be against her inclusion.
The fact that SYW was not a runaway smash, and the fact that even Stevie could not pretend to like it means that she was not only unhappy with the final product, she was also unhappy with the process. Stevie is the McCartney (commercial) to Lindsey's Lennon (left of center). And when the balance is right, the end result can be brilliant (like Stevie's songs on Tusk). For SYW, there was clearly something off about that balance. Although many people liked the record (myself included), I did not embrace the record like I did the other FM albums; it was a bit too dark and over-indulgent in spots, which are the same things I could say about Lindsey's solo work. Lindsey's clearly dominated every pore of that album. I think Christine would have helped to strike the right balance. The same reasoning would apply to a tour as well. Lindsey had too much masturbatory "guitar hero" time on the SYW tour.

Quote:
Furthermore, working as a team is only a good thing if the teamwork contemplated has merit. I don't want Lindsey to work as a team to put out garbage. If compromise works to the greater good, fine. Compromise for the sake of compromise alone is meaningless.
I think Lindsey (and his therapist) would probably consider compromise to be a healthy thing- in all aspects of his life. This isn't his band. It's the four (or five) of them together. He's had his opportunity to exorcise his demons with his solo work (that has gone largely unheard), so he should adapt to being a member of a band, or just leave the band altogether. I don't think Lindsey has helped to crank out garbage in the past, so I certainly don't think he will do so with Sheryl Crow on board. A change would do him good!