The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Does Lindsey realize just what OOTC means to people?

In the recent AOL sessions there's a lady caller who at one point thanks Linds for doing OOTC.. and his reaction... is of general surprise. I guess he dosn't realize that OOTC is a very inspiring CD, certainly for me anyway, it's been a real friend during some rough moments... and "Don't look down" in particular has really kept me going. Has it done the same for any other fellow Ledgies? C'mon, don't be shy, tell him, what you really think and maybe he'll finally get it!
Old 03-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Oh, yeah

When I mentally rehearse my imagined meeting with Lindsey Buckingham, lol, I always tell him how much OOTC means to me.

Here's my story:

I didn't get into Fleetwood Mac until 1997/1998, and didn't buy OOTC until late 1999. I was graduating with a M.A. in English in May of 2000. I had gone straight from living at home to undergraduate to graduate, and in May, for the first time, I was entering the "real world" and life on my own (I didnt know then that I would re-enter academia for a PhD two years later! lol).

So, May 15 finally arrived. I'd walked across the stage, received my degree, packed up everything and stuck it in the U-Haul. All my friends who'd helped me pack had said their goodbyes and left. My roomate had already gone home for the summer. I stood there in my empty place and just started crying.

I was so scared and depressed! What if I were one of those people who thrived in academia, but failed miserably in the "real world"? And I'd had so many good times and a student, made so many good friends. What if things were never that good again?

Basically, I was 'fraid of changing. lol To make a long story short (too late), I got in my car and got on the highway and then, almost randomly, stuck in OOTC in my CD player. I was on Highway 6 literally leaving College Station, Texas when Soul Drifter came on..."I'm a soul drifter, and I'm out of this town..."

But the line that really made me pause was "Now the ground has opened all around me." And after that I just listened to that song and really took it to heart. As you guys know, most of the album revolves around that theme of changing for the good. And it really put things in perspective for me....like this wasn't the end of something, it was the beginning of something. And just maybe the best was yet to come. And I stopped crying and started smiling.

So, it didn't prevent me from committing suicide or give meaning to my life or anything, lol, but I'll never forget how that album touched me that day, how it lifted my spirits and encouraged me. Even know, when I listen to "Soul Drifter," I get a little catch in my throat and a big smile on my face.

And there you have it. What OOTC means to me.

Last edited by sodascouts; 03-10-2003 at 05:34 PM..
Old 03-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah OOTC in particular is like therapy to me when I listen to it. I popped it in today and it really made me smile and feel better.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Sit back and relax folks...LOL

He has NO IDEA how much this album means to people because of the idiots who didn't play it on the radio AND the fact that so many people go "Who's she?" when I say I love Lindsey Buckingham. That's worse than LindsAy!!! Anyways...

This album means the UNIVERSE to me!!!! It's the album that got me HOOKED on Lindsey. I heard Surrender the Rain and Souldrifter and forget it, I was obsessed from that day forward. The fact that my parents split up (and eventually divorced) within that past two years KILLED ME, and OOTC was my shelter in the storm. Lindsey's music is so powerful and makes my soul sing. I have decided that I want Souldrifter played at my funeral. It fits PERFECTLY. From the first note of the intro to DLD to the last part of SWMA, it's PERFECTION!! There's not a bad song, bad note, bad anything....he pours out every inch of his soul in this album and watching him play Street of Dreams all alone on the stage during the PBS Center Stage show...is BREATHTAKING, it gives me chills and makes me cry. I suggested the album to a fellow Justin fan and she loves it!! I don't think anyone that listens to this album doesn't like it, what's NOT to like anyways?!?!?! IMVHO, it's THE best pop album of ALL time....FULL STOP!! (hehe) I was SO excited to hear that lady tell Lindsey what OOTC meant to her...he NEEDS to hear that, ALOT!!! I pray that one day I will get the opportunity to tell him in person how much his music means to me as well.

BRAVO LINDSEY!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart My LOVE of OOTC...

Lindsey's album OOTC... are gorgeous, lovely
songs from a man who has suffered!!! My own
suffering is alleviated by meaningful music that
speaks to my heart! I find Comfort in His Music!

All My Sorrows~~is a meaningful old slave tune!
My love is gone...left me behind...all my sorrows
soon forgotten!!! True love that will never die!!!

Turn It On~is profound! Now someone has left
you alone ...somehow you will carry on!!! Now...
someone is dead and gone...the hurt that you
feel makes you strong! Go Out and Turn It ON!

Say We'll Meet Again~~~ Please say we'll meet
again! That was a time... that was a dream but
nothing lasts forever!Just say we'll meet again!

THANKS LINDSEY for Sharing your Heart and Soul!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 03-11-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Sit back and relax folks...LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
watching him play Street of Dreams all alone on the stage during the PBS Center Stage show...is BREATHTAKING, it gives me chills and makes me cry. [/B]
Imagine how I felt standing right in front of the stage just to the left of Lindsey at the Paradise in Boston in 1993. What a great show.

Funny thing about Soul Drifter, Sodascouts, is when I moved to New York from Massachusetts, I was playing that record when I was driving out and the song came on and it just made so much sense at the time. <-- Hemingway would be proud of that sentence, nyet?

"Out of the Cradle" has given me so much listening pleasure that it would be too hard to describe just what it's meant to me. So I won't. I'm just going to keep enjoying it.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Its hard to believe the guy that made this record is the same guy who fronted a major rock band in the '70's and '80's-its a completely different listening experience. Granted, the dynamics change when you're in a band as opposed to doing it on your own, but this is a very personal and intimate album. Not like his 2 previous solo albums. There is something very soothing and therapeutic about OOTC. Not easily explainable. Better lyrics (the best he's done up till that point) certainly add to the overall feel of the record.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Don't apologise for all your stories about how OOTC has touched you. Reading them is great - we need a 'Chicken Soup for the Lindsey Fan'
Old 03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

My dog died in '92. OK, call me a puss, but he was a Shar-pei and was so intelligent and loving, it was like having a child. He died a very untimely death from cancer.

I listend to 'Don't Look Down' (as well as all of OOTC) endlessly as it seemed to be the perfect metaphor - dealing with pain, loss, hardship and overcoming it.

Some mention has been made lately of LB's growth lyrically. His new tendency to speak metaphorically as in 'Peacekeeper' is really making me look at him as if OOTC was really a "new" beginning point for him. He's drawing parallels between themes in his life and broader themes in the world. Rather than just writing about love and loss of love, he's really broadening the spectrum for us all. I'm really anticipating the SYW album as I know we'll be in for a real work of art.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart OOTC Lyrics!!!

Yes...Lindsey writes from his Integrity and Truth
as he knows it...he has grown in his lyrics...and is
an expert at writing metaphorically in his tunes!

Because of many family deaths I hear songs of
mourning and sorrow... while other ppl will hear
a different meaning! This is Lindsey's true genius!
He keeps his personal life hidden in OOTC!!! Sky

ps "Shadow of The West" from L&O makes me cry!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 03-12-2003, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Unhappy Jeff...

Aww...I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Hey, it hurts to lose a pet too. Good to know that Lindsey's music can help people through all KINDS of loss.

I agree that his growth in the lyric department is AWESOME! I have listened to Peacekeeper AND Red Rover over and over again, and although the meaning really does escape me over these two particular songs, it doesn't make them ANY LESS powerful! Red Rover brings me to tears like ISA does...but in a different way. Lindsey said in that radio interview that some ambiguity in lyrics is a good thing. (I agree because we all interpret them for our own lives.) One reason why music is the UNIVERSAL language!!

When music touches your soul, there is no greater feeling in the world!!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OOTC is my favourite album, no question. I can relate to a lot of the songs on the album perhaps more than anything any other artist has ever written.

I don't see this album as the normal "Lindsey" stuff. It transcends it and I certainly think it's on another level entirely.

Soul Drifter, Street Of Dreams, Countdown, Wrong, Don't Look Down are all of immense importance in my life, a whole range of emotions in those songs.

It'll take an amazing album to knock this one off my number 1 spot.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Ledgie

Absolutely the best album of all time. I never get tired of listening to it. It, too, has seen me through some rougher periods of my life. Bravo Lindsey
Old 03-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I've never heard anything like the music on this album, and I don't think I ever will. I think the word "theraputic" is definitely a good adjective to use when describing the songs. Other than that, I would describe them as amazing, fantastic, awesome, incredibe!

I think Lindsey was slightly shocked to hear the caller describe the album as "therapy" because, to answer your question, I don't think that Lindsey knows just what OOTC means to people. He made an album in his studio, with no deadlines and total freedom both from the label and from the "musical laws" of Fleetwood Mac, and it resulted in "Out Of The Cradle". It all comes down to his famous quote which I've repeated so many times on The Ledge for so many different reasons: "Music is a means of expression that rings truer and is more connected to things inside than speech". His emotions, such as happiness, sadness, anger, disgust, sorrow, fear, hope and many many others have all been conveyed perfectly by this group of songs. We feel the same emotions, and so we've connected perfectly with him and his music. What does it take to create such a phenomenon? A musical genius. Nothing Less.

Bravo indeed, Lindsey.

Fav. lyrics from the album:

That was a dream, that was a time
But nothing lasts forever
Sooner or later we all must go blind
But we can dream these dreams together

Old 03-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

OOTC is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. When you listen to it, it's as if you are actually listening to Lindsey's thoughts as they pour out. It's incredible. Soul Drifter is probably my favorite off of it, the lyrics just speak volumes to me. I think it's one of the most telling and personal albums to have ever been released by ANYONE and I feel proud to have it in my library! Lindsey has never gotten the recognition he deserves and this album proves it. A genius. Hey, at least Leno and Letterman had the sense to have him on to perform songs from it back in the day!