The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm just jealous of your skills, I never had the backbone to study music. But i like to read anything about it when it has something to do with Lindsey. I really think he's the most innovative musician in poprock, and a fantastic songwriter.

For you, who are going to record in a while here's a tip for renting your gear:

http://www.streamworksaudio.com/news...ffset=5&where=

and look for the snippet: DMT rentals provides digital support for fleetwood mac. 03-05

gerald
Old 03-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: A GUITAR playing related question

Quote:
Originally posted by tuigirl
onstage/ in your room? Play nothing but LB songs, or indeed own an LB type instrument...c'mon, own up and tell us how this gorgeous man has influenced you ( musically that is...)
Well... lessee. I learned a lot of my lead guitar style off Fleetwood Mac Live, playing along to Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid, Oh Well... - with a pick, I hasten to add.

Since we formed Fleetfoot Mike, I've basically learned to play lead without a pick...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Ledgie

Default right on

Playing without a pic is hard. I've tried it (and as I said, I'm not really a guitar player, other than a little rhythm). That's part of what makes Lindsey so cool (aside from the production/songwriting attributes I've alread mentioned). But I have a lot of respect for people that can play without a pick and do it well

david
Old 03-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Here is a giant picture of my LB guitar. Saw The Dance concert, fell in love, and had to have that guitar.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/m.../194_p7787.jpg

Last edited by MastaCow; 03-24-2003 at 10:44 PM..
Old 03-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: right on

Quote:
Originally posted by LindseyRocks
Playing without a pic is hard. I've tried it (and as I said, I'm not really a guitar player, other than a little rhythm). That's part of what makes Lindsey so cool (aside from the production/songwriting attributes I've alread mentioned). But I have a lot of respect for people that can play without a pick and do it well

david
I dunno about well - well enough, perhaps

He has a few tricks I haven't mastered, or at least got to the point where I can do 'em without thinking, and Big Love is way beyond me

I do also own one (well, a copy, in most cases) of everything he played on the Rumours tour (white Les Paul, Strat, Telecaster, 6/12 doubleneck, roundback acoustic...) and a guitar rig that's a fairly close copy (Marshall, not HiWatt, cause HiWatt's are like hens teeth for any sensible money).

I'd really like a Turner, but.... eesh. How much?!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by MastaCow
Here is a giant picture of my LB guitar. Saw The Dance concert, fell in love, and had to have that guitar.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/m.../194_p7787.jpg

Mind if I just sit here and drool for a while?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:10 PM

I mostly stick with playing my own stuff. I've written dozens of songs and recently started performing at the occasional open mic. About a year ago, I got bored with just strumming. I started picking up some bluegrass patterns that involve picking the bass note and strumming. From there, it was an easy switch to picking. Most of the stuff I'm writing these days is over a picking pattern.

Lindsey has been a great influence, but he was not the reason I wanted to play the guitar. I always wanted to pick, though I don't expect to ever be half as good as he is.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although Lindsey inspires me as a guitarist greatly he doesn't really influence me that much actually. I do love his style and sound but it really isn't me. I tend to be more influenced by Eric Clapton and especially Mark Knopfler tonally and style wise. I do fingerpick, finger being the word. I don't use nails much apart from the odd downstroke, leading with my thumb, fore and middle fingers most of the time, again in a Knopfler kind of style.

So it won't come as a major surprise that my main instrument is very similar to MK's original Pensa-Suhr guitar that John Suhr built for him back in '87. In fact I asked John to build my guitar to a very similar spec to MK's because I love the sound and look of it so much.

On the guitar subject I guess the nearest guitar to a Buckingham instrument I have is a Taylor electro acoustic similar to the one used on Landslide from "The Dance".

Just like Carne Vaca I get bored of chords and just fingerpick these days.

Last edited by madformac; 03-28-2003 at 04:20 PM..