The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which is Stevie's BEST solo album?
Bella Donna 26 35.62%
Wild Heart 25 34.25%
Rock A Little 3 4.11%
The Other Side Of The Mirror 2 2.74%
Street Angel 0 0%
Trouble In Shangri-La 5 6.85%
In Your Dreams 5 6.85%
24 Karat Gold 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still say Wild Heart only because 24 Karat is still too new..I've only played it a few times, can you believe that? It is stellar and reminds me of another time, around the Wild Heart era.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
It is stellar and reminds me of another time, around the Wild Heart era.
Agreed. To me, over half of this album sounds like it was recorded in between Bella Donna and Wild Heart, like it is the "secret album" nobody knew about! Haha!

...and the other half of the album sounds like yet ANOTHER "secret album" recorded in between Street Angel and TISL.

Even though one can pinpoint many specific albums throughout her career that a particular track could fit into, those two contrasting and polarized "eras" seem to be a constant reminder to me when I listen.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
24 Karat is still too new..I've only played it a few times, can you believe that?
I've only listened to it all the way through a handful of times myself. I dig the individual songs (well, about half of them), but the album as a whole is failing to get traction on my emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Agreed. To me, over half of this album sounds like it was recorded in between Bella Donna and Wild Heart, like it is the "secret album" nobody knew about! Haha!

...and the other half of the album sounds like yet ANOTHER "secret album" recorded in between Street Angel and TISL.

Even though one can pinpoint many specific albums throughout her career that a particular track could fit into, those two contrasting and polarized "eras" seem to be a constant reminder to me when I listen.
This is the most spot on thing I've ever read about 24k. You nailed the 2 time periods it sounds like it's from. Perhaps those conflicting sounds are why I have such a hard time loving this album as a whole, and why I've already stopped playing it after a few listens. It just doesn't sound like an album to me... it sounds like a mashup, a mix tape.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To me Bella Donna and Wild Heart are pretty much equal but I chose Wild Heart. Both are damn near perfect but there are more tracks on Bella Donna that I think should have been replaced with other songs.

1. Wild Heart
2. Bella Donna
3. 24 Karat Gold
4. Rock A Little
5. In Your Dreams
6. Trouble in Shangri-La
7. Street Angel
8. OSOTM
Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It just doesn't sound like an album to me... it sounds like a mashup, a mix tape.
Well, it basically is. Songs from the Vault is really just a reimagined "greatest hits" of the old demos. Because there are no real "new" songs, then you can't really consider this album to have an "era". Nothing here evokes 2014...but I kind of like that.

You're right. It is a hard album to listen to all the way thru, back to front without having the urge to "skip" some tracks. I'm ADDICTED to side 2 of the vinyl and enjoy playing that side over and over again. But mostly, I've just picked my 6 or 7 favorites and have added them to my Stevie "playlists".
Old 10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Well, it basically is. Songs from the Vault is really just a reimagined "greatest hits" of the old demos. Because there are no real "new" songs, then you can't really consider this album to have an "era". Nothing here evokes 2014...but I kind of like that.

You're right. It is a hard album to listen to all the way thru, back to front without having the urge to "skip" some tracks. I'm ADDICTED to side 2 of the vinyl and enjoy playing that side over and over again. But mostly, I've just picked my 6 or 7 favorites and have added them to my Stevie "playlists".
That's pretty much what I did. But I have to agree with sorcerer999 on this one... Each album that is released comes from a certain era or memory, or stage in Stevie's life. I appreciate the fact this album is from every single stage in her life, but to me it lacks a sense of unity. As much as people like to bash OSOTM, I think it's the most emotional album, meaning it feels angry and determined, and you experience that whole vibe. I don't really get any one vibe from this record. This record to me feels like a big old beautiful country house. And when you walk in, there are lots of different rooms that don't go together, like a fancy blue and white silky parlour of sorts, and then a dark and ominous study, which is connected to a light and open atrium filled with pretty ferns and such. So as a whole, the album feels disconnected and rambling, like an old country house, but each individual song/room evokes an emotion.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've had the CD in my car since it came in the mail. It just plays on and on, over and over, anytime I am driving.

At work, I play 24 Karat Gold on shuffle with my phone, or I will do Stevie's whole catalog on shuffle. Not every day - some days I am listening to other artists at work.

At home, I also play it on shuffle with my phone if I am in the kitchen or outside in the garden. Otherwise, the vinyl goes on the stereo and picks up wherever I left off previously.

I pretty much have let it play all the way through, over and over, in various sequences, throughout the weeks.

OK, so I do skip past If You Were My Love about 2 minutes in.

I feel like this album is very capable of being played all the way through, and while concept or thematic albums are great, not every album needs to have a unified sound or theme to be great. I especially like DauphineMarie's take that each song is like a different room of a spawling manor. Who spends the whole day in one room? Get up - walk around - let your mood shift and change as you pass through each chamber.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 10-21-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bella Donna
Trouble In Shangri-La
The Wild Heart
Rock A Little
In Your Dreams
Street Angel
Other Side Of The Mirror
24 Karat Gold

Don't get me wrong, I love all of Stevie's albums in their own way. They all bring something wonderful and different into my fandom.

RAL and IYD switch places in this list all the time. Just depends how I'm feeling. But today, I would rather listen to RAL than IYD. 24kg has the most tracks on it that I dislike and I don't think it works as an album very well. OSOTM has some great songs, but is let down by the poor production. SA, whilst the songs are not up to the quality of a lot of others, is still a nice, consistent, cohesive album.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered

Bella Donna
Wild Heart
Rock A Little
24 Karat Gold
In Your Dreams
Other Side of the Mirror
Street Angel
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
Bella Donna
Wild Heart
Rock A Little
24 Karat Gold
In Your Dreams
Other Side of the Mirror
Street Angel
Hmm....where is TISL in this?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
I've only listened to it all the way through a handful of times myself. I dig the individual songs (well, about half of them), but the album as a whole is failing to get traction on my emotions

That's exactly how I feel about it. Although I love almost every track, somehow it does not work as an album. I have the CD in my car for almost to weeks now and I always have the random button pushed. This week I'll get my Vinyl, maybe it will be different when I listen to it on my record player.
Quite contrary to IYD. I always listen to it from start to finish and never skip a song, even the ones I'm not crazy about.
Anyway I love both albums, time will tell which one I'll prefer in the end.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Bella Donna
Trouble In Shangri-La
The Wild Heart
Rock A Little
In Your Dreams
Street Angel
Other Side Of The Mirror
24 Karat Gold

Don't get me wrong, I love all of Stevie's albums in their own way. They all bring something wonderful and different into my fandom.

RAL and IYD switch places in this list all the time. Just depends how I'm feeling. But today, I would rather listen to RAL than IYD. 24kg has the most tracks on it that I dislike and I don't think it works as an album very well. OSOTM has some great songs, but is let down by the poor production. SA, whilst the songs are not up to the quality of a lot of others, is still a nice, consistent, cohesive album.
Street Angel higher than 24 Karat?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't pick her best, so it's a three way tie for 24K Gold, Bella Donna, and TISL.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Street Angel higher than 24 Karat?
Yes. Love me some "Street Angel" .

The songs that I really love on SA, I really do love. Whereas there are no songs on 24KG that I feel better for hearing and feel are invaluble in Stevie's back catalogue. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be all that bothered if 24KG never existed, whereas I can't imagine what life would be like without "Blue Denim", "Love Is Like A River", "Greta", "Kick It", "Listen To The Rain" and "Rose Garden".
Old 10-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rock a Little
Bella Donna
The Wild Heart
Trouble in Shangri-La
24 Karat Gold
In Your Dreams
The Other Side of the Mirror
Street Angel