User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
^^^This. I think this record is the BEST STEVIE NICKS album in the past 25 plus years. And you guys know that I don't say things like that lightly. It's like the greatest hits that us "hard core fans" would want. There's just a magic to it...in her vocals, her energy, her emotion. There's just something there that I haven't heard from her in YEARS. It's like she's rediscovered the joy of making music again, but making music for HERSELF and not making music to garner another "hit record", "chart topper" or "money maker".

JMHO.
Right?? Where has that voice been? When I listen to songs like 24KG and ATBW, my mind is literally blown away. So impressed with what she pulled off.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
If I had only listened to the standard tracklisting, I may agree that this is more of a compilation album. But listening to the songs as sequenced on the Deluxe album, and as organized on vinyl, with four distinct sides, this album feels more cohesive than anything she's done in a long time. It has a clear arc, and tells a story, in my view. Really impressed that she pulled this off.
I might be the only person on here who isn't impressed with the way the standard version is sequenced. I much prefer the deluxe sequencing. "Watch Chain" has really become one of my favorites. I consider it ESSENTIAL to this record...so the standard version doesn't even exist to me. Still think "Twisted" isn't as good as the soundtrack original, but I do enjoy it and appreciate its spot in between "Mabel" and "24KG".

You're right, though. Each side is its own little E.P. which has an arc. And side 4 is even beginning to grow one me. Gasp! Shock!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
Very interesting to hear your views. I respectfully disagree - far from shame, I would say bravo for creating one of the finest solo albums of her career - on par with her first three albums, and better than anything she's done since the mid-1980s.
I just think she should have spent more time on it. If these songs are so important to her, why crank it out of a factory? They should be an improvement on the demo version and many of these songs are not in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I might be the only person on here who isn't impressed with the way the standard version is sequenced. I much prefer the deluxe sequencing. "Watch Chain" has really become one of my favorites. I consider it ESSENTIAL to this record...so the standard version doesn't even exist to me. Still think "Twisted" isn't as good as the soundtrack original, but I do enjoy it and appreciate its spot in between "Mabel" and "24KG".

You're right, though. Each side is its own little E.P. which has an arc. And side 4 is even beginning to grow one me. Gasp! Shock!
I listened to the albums over & over Monday. Then yesterday I listened to the Amazon "standard edition" stream in its entirety, and I must agree that there is something of an arc to the deluxe sequencing that ebbs and flows better. "Lady" ending side 2. Then "She Loves Him Still" chillingly culminating the entire record.

The standard version not containing "Twisted" & "Watchchain" seemed less impactful, but still good. Yeah, maybe it's because I know the songs that are missing. But actually, it just felt like an entirely different listening experience without the 2 bonus tracks.

I know there's some controversey about the new "Twisted", but, to me, this new version fits perfectly with this set of songs, especially the dark twangy & chugging guitar new arangement & beautiful nuanced vocal. While "Whatchain" is NOT to be missed! She sounds like her 70s groovy self on that track I wasn't a big fan of the demo, but I LOVE this new version, it blows away the demo. In fact, I would say that all the new versions blow away all the demos & outtakes, with the only exception being ATBW -- I think that one is on par with the WH outtake, and that's good!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalTwinSC View Post
"If You Were My Love" is in the key of HORRID. What key is it in exactly why did they choose it.
I'm not fan of it, either. I do like the instrumentation, though.

Quote:
At this point, I am not sure Stevie streaming this album for free on Amazon.com was a good idea. Yesterday I was so excited to buy it and now, it's like a household chore I have to do.
So, actually, I am glad you pointed this out. Pre-release streams are the worst thing ever to happen to music. I would bet that pre-release streaming destroys more sales than piracy ever did. They only serve two purposes: to disappoint those who were going to buy the labum, but changed their mind, and to provide the album for free to those who never intended to buy it anyway.

Obviously, many of us here have listened to the stream, and we are buying the album, but in general, I think streaming entire albums before release hurts sales.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think streaming may help. I'm sure a lot of people will like this and buy.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Ledgie

Btw I really like the new version of "Blue Water". I can see why some of you say it lost its original magic, but I really think Stevie's recent voice fits the song better this way - with additional instrumentation and less "magical". We still have the demo and can enjoy it for what it is, but with this stripped down arrangement Stevie's voice would sound a bit too sharp I think - at least over 4 minutes.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I likewise prefer the deluxe sequencing. For one, it has the two bonus tracks, which perfectly fill out the album. And more, Cathouse Blues (which I love), makes so much more sense on this album towards the end. A fun breath of fresh air before digging in for the finale.

I should add: this is the first Stevie solo album where there's a not a single song that I think should've been cut.

Which makes me wonder, what were songs 17 (and maybe 18?) that Stevie and Dave originally had planned to record and release?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm not fan of it, either. I do like the instrumentation, though.
Let me clarify. I LOVE the song ("If You We My Love"). I just hate this version. The demo of this song is one of my favorite SN songs in exsistance. The key is just OFF. Too sharp or too augmented. I can't really put my finger on it.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Wild Heart was recorded in even less time than 24k- 12 days, right?
No, The Wild Heart was recorded over the course of a few months. Bella Donna was began in 1979. She worked on that in between sessions of Tusk. Recording went well into 1981.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, The Wild Heart was recorded over the course of a few months. Bella Donna was began in 1979. She worked on that in between sessions of Tusk. Recording went well into 1981.
According to Stevie's interview with Jim Ladd, they recorded all the songs for "Wild Heart" in 12 days...because they had to wait around for all the musician's schedules to coincide. So, like the Nashville sessions earlier this year, they recorded all the tracks for WH in under two weeks, then spent the next few months doing overdubs, much like this last album was recorded.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's interesting, because Bella Donna & Wild Heart were recorded extremely quickly, just like 24k. And those are often cited by fans as Stevie's best solo efforts. In fact, I believe Wild Heart was recorded in even less time than 24k- 12 days, right?
Correct............
Quote:
I think this record quickly with minimal production is the best formula for Stevie. The magic of her music isn't lost in syrupy production, electronic/synthetic noise, and endless overdubs. Despite that, there's still an atmosphere to these songs. I'd say it's actually because of the lack of clutter that these songs have atmosphere.
Say that a little louder so LB can hear you...If FM want any of this GREAT Stevieness on a FM record Dave and Waddy will have to be involved...

Quote:
Find the "Wild Heart" Jim Ladd interview...Stevie specifically states that the record was recorded in 12 DAYS with overdubs done later...But just like "24K" the basic "Wild Heart" tracks were done quickly...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Find the "Wild Heart" Jim Ladd interview...Stevie specifically states that the record was recorded in 12 DAYS with overdubs done later...But just like "24K" the basic "Wild Heart" tracks were done quickly...
I believe you. I was going by what they have on Wikipedia. The Wild Heart is a great record. I stand corrected.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe you. I was going by what they have on Wikipedia. The Wild Heart is a great record. I stand corrected.
Wikipedia the fountain of questionable information...That explains everything...
Old 10-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just think she should have spent more time on it. If these songs are so important to her, why crank it out of a factory? They should be an improvement on the demo version and many of these songs are not in my opinion.
She didn't spend more time on it because she couldn't spend more time on it. As she's said, she had 3 months total to get the album done and ready for release, before Mac went on tour.