User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arkansas Times, August 26, 2014 by David Ramsey

http://www.arktimes.com/RockCandy/ar...-fleetwood-mac

I'm going to piggyback off of Benji's pick [which was Tusk] and highlight the best thing the Internet ever found, the five-minute grainy footage of Stevie Nicks getting makeup for a Rolling Stone photoshoot and working out how "Wild Heart" will go (see below). People, I have goose bumps on my goose bumps. I am alive, awash, rocked, renewed. Only 866,000 have viewed this on YouTube! That means literally billions of humans walking the earth have not seen this. Music is the stuff of angels and aliens. What I'm trying to say is that when Stevie sings, it is from another place. Like received wisdom. A reminder that physics is an insufficient explanation for our universe.

Here in this universe there are them that are suckers for Stevie Nicks and them that ain’t. Pity the latter. — David Ramsey
Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrown_Down View Post
Does anyone have this amazing version in higher quality than youtube video? Did she ever record it this way as a proper demo or outtake? I'd love to have a better copy.

This is the performance I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZbjlKIXY8k

It appears to me that she is singing to an early-stage track of the song, still in production. It's not so earth-shattering to me; it would be if she actually performed it on her Wild Heart tour.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-26-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
It appears to me that she is singing to an early-stage track of the song, still in production.
She's singing to an early track of Lindsey's Can't Go Back.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like this >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Arkansas Times, August 26, 2014 by David Ramsey

What I'm trying to say is that when Stevie sings, it is from another place. Like received wisdom. A reminder that physics is an insufficient explanation for our universe.

Here in this universe there are them that are suckers for Stevie Nicks and them that ain’t. Pity the latter. — David Ramsey
Old 10-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a question about this video. It was filmed about sept 81. Stevie claims the Belladonna tour ended (and that she was in tears during the last song) because she had to join FM in france to start recording Mirage. But the sessions in France were done months prior to that. Plus she had the unfinished Can't Go back track to sing along to, and also was singing Love in Store. So I am assuming the Bella Donna tour was so short because she had to go back to doing overdubs? Her sense of history sure is off.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteShangriLa View Post
sorry if i came across the wrong way...but when i first uploaded my Secret Love video

that i worked so hard on making...within the first week it was posted, it showed up on 3 other pages. not as a link or a favorite, but posted as the users own video. i had to ask them to please remove my video. so now maybe you can understand where im coming from?
I appreciate the work you did. It's well edited, and more appealing and creative than some of the videos from which you sourced.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the dressing room version better with Lindsey's Can't Go Back backing then the studio cut .Even with the smoke alarm chirp and the telephone ring in it.LOL.............

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I have a question about this video. It was filmed about sept 81. Stevie claims the Belladonna tour ended (and that she was in tears during the last song) because she had to join FM in france to start recording Mirage. But the sessions in France were done months prior to that. Plus she had the unfinished Can't Go back track to sing along to, and also was singing Love in Store. So I am assuming the Bella Donna tour was so short because she had to go back to doing overdubs? Her sense of history sure is off.
I think this was filmed in NY when Stevie was doing the cover shoot for the Rolling Stone issue of her for Sept in 81 issue but I'm thinking it was done in July of 81 not sure but I'm sure it was a couple of months before it was released. I do love the RS video shoot, it makes me wish we could see all her video shoots that were filmed. Like for her LP's covers. Kinda like what we got on Crystal Visions from the Bella Donna LP. She made video's of all her solo LP recordings that I know of. Its surprising with the demos' and outtakes of songs that have gotten out that more rare video hasn't though. I do like this version but the song is in its raw state and well I do love the LP version much more. Its just wild and great.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Michael Andor Brodeur Boston Globe Correspondent January 27, 2015

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/musi...OSL/story.html

Stevie Nicks, wild at heart

Rare is the casual Fleetwood Mac fan. It’s not unusual for devotees of the seminal rock band — responsible for such hits as “Landslide,” “Gold Dust Woman,” “Don’t Stop,” and “Gypsy” — to tend toward completism, gobbling up everything from Lindsey and Stevie’s 1973 pre-Mac “Buckingham Nicks” album to the members’ various solo albums and the promising 2013 comeback EP “Extended Play.”

So for those already twirling in anticipation for the band’s Wednesday night appearance at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, this candid five-minute clip of raw Stevie power will be of special interest.

Shot backstage in 1981 at a photo shoot for Rolling Stone, it captures a young Stevie Nicks unable to sit still while getting her makeup done, and lapsing instead into a rapturous take of “Wild Heart” — a song that would find its way onto her second solo album, “The Wild Heart.” But attentive ears will hear a discrepancy: The music she’s singing over is actually a demo of a song that would become “Can’t Go Back” on Fleetwood Mac’s 1982 album, “Mirage.” Are you dorking out yet? Because we are fully dorking out.

Oddly (and predictably), this impromptu mashup is pretty much perfect, a fleeting Fleetwood moment caught by kismet for the ages (and arguably better than either of the tracks she fused to conjure it). The clip provides a gripping glimpse of a legendary talent at full force, and proof that Nicks can summon the sublime from the ether of her everyday. There’s magic all around her, if I do say so myself.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Author Lindsay Hunter offers a music playlist for her short story collection]

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/...es_lind_2.html
The version that's been linked to this blog is the cleanest I've seen. When I had an old copy of a copy of a copy of a bootleg vhs tape back in the day I always thought Stevie was backstage at a Mirage rehearsal and while she's vamping on Love In Store, Lindsey was on stage and decided to upstage her by starting to play his song. She says something like "this kills me" and I always thought that she meant he was always trying to upstage her. But now that I know the real story of this video I know none of that was true. In fact, I had forgotten all about her comments at the beginning. Then today, watching this very clear copy, I noticed that when Can't Go Back starts up she says "This is the one... that he wrote... it kills me... this is what kills me..." I'm wondering if she's talking about the lyrics (his take on how he's moved on with his life and will never go back to her). Which makes the fact that she then takes his piece of music and sings her own response all the more delicious.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
The version that's been linked to this blog is the cleanest I've seen. When I had an old copy of a copy of a copy of a bootleg vhs tape back in the day I always thought Stevie was backstage at a Mirage rehearsal and while she's vamping on Love In Store, Lindsey was on stage and decided to upstage her by starting to play his song. She says something like "this kills me" and I always thought that she meant he was always trying to upstage her. But now that I know the real story of this video I know none of that was true. In fact, I had forgotten all about her comments at the beginning. Then today, watching this very clear copy, I noticed that when Can't Go Back starts up she says "This is the one... that he wrote... it kills me... this is what kills me..." I'm wondering if she's talking about the lyrics (his take on how he's moved on with his life and will never go back to her). Which makes the fact that she then takes his piece of music and sings her own response all the more delicious.
except it doesn't appear that he's got any lyrics for it yet… certainly none on the recording, so saying 'this is what kills me' wouldn't make any sense to the person she's talking to coz all they'd hear was the music. I think she's just saying, this is the one with the music that kills me coz it's so good or coz it lends itself to my song or whatever.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I love the dressing room version better with Lindsey's Can't Go Back backing then the studio cut .Even with the smoke alarm chirp and the telephone ring in it.LOL.............
What version is this? I thought there was only one version.Can you post recent links b/c when I clicked on it,it said not available(or something to that effect).Thanks!

Last edited by teedeerocks; 01-28-2015 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: additional comment made
Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteShangriLa View Post
its from the making of the Bootylicious video that aired on MTV. the original upload is mine... i edited out all the other stuff and just posted the Stevie part...someone keeps stealing my videos!
Wow, this takes me back to being 14 years old again. I watched that when it originally aired. I became a huge Stevie fan around this time and was so excited to see that she was going to be in a DC video. I was a fan of them as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
What version is this? I thought there was only one version.Can you post recent links b/c when I clicked on it,it said not available(or something to that effect).Thanks!
It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPEhIoKeTg0
Old 01-30-2015, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
What song are you referencing? Can't Go Back? If so, this isn't so much a version; it's an early instrumental template of the song. I first saw this clip on a bootleg VCR tape I obtained decades ago from a bootleg trade -- a seemingly primitive era, long before the internet existed. I never made the correlation between the two songs at the time.

Fleetwood Mac was in the early stages of recording Mirage, while Stevie was developing material for her second album. It appears that she used Lindsey's early instrumental track as a guideline for the gestation of Wild Heart. They released the album, and embarked a short tour. Then Stevie went to work on her second solo album. The song evolved into an epic saga with very little relation to the song that became Can't Go Back.

The clip is interesting from a historical standpoint. It' shows the song in primitive form, lacking the arrangement (and probably the lyrics that became the end result.
It's insightful for several reasons. It reveals one of the techniques Stevie uses to develop her songs. It's also the precursor of Sharon's and Laurie's assimilation into the Fleetwood Mac camp, after as Stevie formed life-long, sisters of the moon bonds with them in her Bella Donna phase.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-30-2015 at 04:31 AM..