Dreams
Rhiannon

Other classic hit songs written by women:
Talk of the Town
Chuck E.'s in Love
Both Sides Now
So Far Away
Stoned Soul Picnic

These songs are as masterfully crafted, heartfelt, lyrical, & charismatic as Stevie's best work.
To your point, I have all of those albums except the Carole King--and they're not my kinda thing per se, so that says something. Great list. Thank you.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
To your point, I have all of those albums except the Carole King--and they're not my kinda thing per se, so that says something. Great list. Thank you.
You guys are forgetting Crystal and Landslide and Leather and Lace...
Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
You guys are forgetting Crystal and Landslide and Leather and Lace...
Landslide is on my list.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Landslide is on my list.
well what about the song Tapestry from Carole King, that is a definite winter or Big Yellow Taxi from Joni
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To me Madonna and Michael are the greatest, ever. I would say that Stevie has a formidable list of amazing songs, but she hasn't been as influential to the music industry as many others. Most notably the great female vocalists like Mariah, Whitney, Aretha, Tina, etc. But I do have to say, nothing can take my breath away like hearing Beautiful Child or Gypsy.

And yes, "greatest" is very subjective, but can one truly debate any of these artists talent? To ponder if Like a Virgin will have a lasting impact on music seems ignorant.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Say You Love Me

Michele
Oops. I forgot somebody!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Oops. I forgot somebody!
How soon they forget. And for me I think that one fills the bill, if we are going with the "hit" requirement. I'm not into YMLF.

Michele
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hate the fact that people think Natural Woman is a total Arethra song, when it's Carole Kings song and is on Tapestry.
I do I am not a big Aretha fan she is ok but not the best artist and as Stevie said in a recent interview The Song Writer is King and Carole King wrote the song and it's Carol Kings Song if it was a big hit for Aretha too but Carole King makes alot of Money on that song.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
To me Madonna and Michael are the greatest, ever. I would say that Stevie has a formidable list of amazing songs, but she hasn't been as influential to the music industry as many others. Most notably the great female vocalists like Mariah, Whitney, Aretha, Tina, etc. But I do have to say, nothing can take my breath away like hearing Beautiful Child or Gypsy.

And yes, "greatest" is very subjective, but can one truly debate any of these artists talent? To ponder if Like a Virgin will have a lasting impact on music seems ignorant.
True I do not think Michael Jackson is the greatest artists ever as a singer he is not that good of a singer to be declared the greatest artist ever yes he has sold multi millions of albums and cd's greatest artists ever can be declared by all of us as our favorite artist and to me it's Stevie Nicks and Heart and Fleetwood Mac in my book that is my book and also Chaka Khan is probably the greatest female Vocalists definetly alot better than Mariah,Whitney and Aretha can not even touch Chaka on vocals.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Madonna is a mixture. Lots of her songs were written by other people. She is influential in the dance scene, but time will tell how classic her songs are.
This is probably one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on this board (and I've been reading this board routinely since 2004). Time has already told how classic her songs are. Influential in the dance scene? umm, yea I would say so. I would also say that she's hands down the most successful female artist of all time (and has the records to prove it). Really, I could go on and on about how successful and influential Madonna has been, but that should be fairly obvious to anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the past 30 years.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Joni Mitchell is not only the best female musician of all time: she’s one of the three best contemporary musicians, male or female. And as a writer she can only be compared to Dylan, though she's a far better musician .
Diane Warren, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Diana Ross? Are you kidding?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kRedSolids View Post
This is probably one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read on this board (and I've been reading this board routinely since 2004). Time has already told how classic her songs are. Influential in the dance scene? umm, yea I would say so. I would also say that she's hands down the most successful female artist of all time (and has the records to prove it). Really, I could go on and on about how successful and influential Madonna has been, but that should be fairly obvious to anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the past 30 years.
I wish whoever posted this thread would of said greatest ROCK songs by a female artists all time.

My post wasn't terrible, so don't go apesheet.

That's your taste. If your into that dance stuff great. I consider that music crap for the most part. If she is influential to Christina, Brittany or Lady Gaga I don't care. They don't produce real music to me.

Madonna was callling herself an icon almost from the start. She is very influential, but hell she changed with every trend. You probably think she was trend setter, but gays really set the trend for her. She used gays. I remember the 80s very well. She was the material girl and most, certainly used sex to get the goods. I remember watching that documentary, which was pretty good by the way, thinking she was using her dead mother to sell herself. I enjoyed it but didn't really like the way she exploited people in it.

I like Madonna, especially because she has grown up. I liked her middle albums, especially because they weren't all dance stuff. She loves her kids and stuff. But I remember the days of her being a media whore.

She's not rock though and when someone asks about greatest songs, like real heartfealt songs—no way.

By the way, post on another site much?... ha ha

Last edited by Jondalar; 03-13-2011 at 04:42 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandbackStevie View Post
True I do not think Michael Jackson is the greatest artists ever as a singer he is not that good of a singer to be declared the greatest artist ever yes he has sold multi millions of albums and cd's greatest artists ever can be declared by all of us as our favorite artist and to me it's Stevie Nicks and Heart and Fleetwood Mac in my book that is my book and also Chaka Khan is probably the greatest female Vocalists definetly alot better than Mariah,Whitney and Aretha can not even touch Chaka on vocals.
I think Michael was the greatest performer of all time. I liked some of his music, but I remember when he hit the stage at that award show and just blew everyone way. It was just after Thriller came out. Everybody got excited. It was like watching dance art.

I fealt sorry for Michael Jackson. Even with all his money, he just seemed sooo misereable. I hate what people did to him.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Despite the fact that Mariah Carey has been a major success, she doesn’t get enough credit. Aside from writing the more commercial hit songs, some of her best work are the non-singles. One in particular is “Fly Like A Bird” where Mariah soars. I saw her live and when she sings it, it is definitely a shower stopper. I can’t get enough of the song.