Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Magnet and Steel - Walter Egan and Stevie

Walter Egan is such an underrated talent. His song Magnet and Steel is a huge favorite of mine. I like to imagine it was a Fleetwood Mac song, with Lindsey on lead vocal and Christine and Stevie on harmony.

The reason for me posting this is that I just listened to the song on YouTube. I was following the forum posts. Some were informing others that Stevie was involved with him , that she sang on the song, and it was written about her.

Here was the choice reactionary quote from someone: " Gee, she was like a door knob - everyone had a turn at her."

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-28-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

That's hysterical. Probably closer to the truth than most people want to believe. I'm pretty sure Lindsey and Stevie both worked on some of his songs. If I remember correctly he covered Stevie's Sisters of the moon.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He also covered "the Dealer" !
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Walter Egan is such an underrated talent. His song Magnet and Steel is a huge favorite of mine. I like to imagine it was a Fleetwood Mac song, with Lindsey on lead vocal and Christine and Stevie on harmony.

Here was the choice reactionary quote from someone: " Gee, she was like a door knob - everyone had a turn at her."
Is it a bit sexist that Stevie would be singled out for her liasons? I suspect most men in rock bands are more active than most women in rock bands.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Magnet and Steel is a pretty good song. The grocery store I frequent must have a huge FM fan working there because every time I'm there, I hear a lot of their songs being played. As well as solo/artists associated with them. One day, I heard this song playing and I was taken aback a bit. Don't hear this ditty often. Feel So Good and The Blonde In The Blue T-Bird are good one's as well!

I read recently (was it on here?) that Lindsey didn't want Walter to record SOTM. Something about animosity due to the fact that Lindsey found out about them two hooking up?
Yeah it is a bit sexist how people rag on Stevie for having as many lovers as she did. Sometimes things happen and relationships don't work out. Even when you go into it first with good intent (long term). Stevie said she had to walk away a few times.

Last edited by Nickingham; 08-28-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Is it a bit sexist that Stevie would be singled out for her liasons? I suspect most men in rock bands are more active than most women in rock bands.
YES, it is sexist!!! Thank you! So sick of this particular "double standard".
Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She was liberated. She did what she wanted to do, but the bad eyesight explains some of her choices.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

The reason for me posting this is that I just listened to the song on YouTube. I was following the forum posts. Some were informing others that Stevie was involved with him , that she sang on the song, and it was written about her.

The harmonies vocals on "Magnet and Steel" are nothing short of magical! It is a wonderful gem of a tune and should be considered a classic. I love that "Magnet and Steel" was included in the film "Boogie Nights" and on the soundtrack.

I respect Stevie for her free spirited philosophy on dating. She was a true feminist! It IS hard to keep track of the TIMELINE of her dating life. It seems she's date 1/2 of The Eagles. I've heard that her relationship with Jimmy Iovine lasted up to the beginning of the "Rock A Little" sessions when he abandoned the project. Did she break up with Jimmy to date Joe Walsh (her opening act on the "Wild Hear" Tour)?? If so, did she go back with Jimmy after Joe dumped her.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeline View Post
That's hysterical. Probably closer to the truth than most people want to believe. I'm pretty sure Lindsey and Stevie both worked on some of his songs. If I remember correctly he covered Stevie's Sisters of the moon.
They pretty much sang all the harmonies on his break-out album.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I don't she is singled out anymore than anyone else. It was just a random anonymous quote from someone on YouTube. Those forums (for everything posted on the site) are a wasteland of very mean, offensive, insensitive and ignorant comments. I have to resist countering the barrage of stupid and vindictive comments; it's a useless and stressful waste of time.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-28-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She was liberated. She did what she wanted to do, but the bad eyesight explains some of her choices.
That's very funny!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post
I read recently (was it on here?) that Lindsey didn't want Walter to record SOTM. Something about animosity due to the fact that Lindsey found out about them two hooking up?
Tusk had not been released when Egan first started covering the song. It's just as likely Lindsey wanted Egan to stop playing the song because he wanted the audience to first hear it from Fleetwood Mac.

Michele
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought this was one of the songs that defined the 1970s, although it only hit #8 and was his only Top 10 hit. It was written about Stevie. This song has always reminded me of Afternoon Delight.

Walter Egan Explains the Song

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=10286

Stevie Nicks sang on this track, and provided inspiration for the lyrics. Walter Egan was kind enough to tell us about this song:

"In 1976 I was living in Pomona, California and I had a notion to write a song with the 'stroll' beat (made famous by Chuck Willis) and so began the rough outline of what was tentatively called 'Don't Turn Away Now.' Now, this was also at the time of putting together my first album, Fundamental Roll, and my two new friends and producers, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and I were starting the recording process.

On the night when Stevie did the background vocals for my song 'Tunnel o' Love,' my nascent amorous feelings toward her came into a sharper focus - I was smitten by the kitten, as they say. It was on my drive home at 3 AM from Van Nuys to Pomona that I happened to be behind a metal flake blue Continental with ground effects and a diamond window in back. I was inspired by the car's license plate: "Not Shy."

By the time I pulled into my driveway I had formulated the lyrics and come up with the magnet metaphor. From there the song was finished in 15 minutes.

It was especially satisfying to have Stevie sing on 'Magnet,' since it was about her (and me)."
Old 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My friend heard Walter Egan doing some kind of DJ-gig, and he talked about having a crush on Stevie, but it didn't sound like they were ever actually an item.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
My friend heard Walter Egan doing some kind of DJ-gig, and he talked about having a crush on Stevie, but it didn't sound like they were ever actually an item.
Maybe he never slept with her and maybe he did. Sleeping with someone doesn't mean you and that person are an item. Some people just screw.

Stevie did what she wanted to do. which was sort of unique for that time in history. It was post-hippie, pre-preppie. She never liked to be told what to do or how to act.