User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, there was an article about baby boomers clinging to their old music. I think I put it in MacNuggets, because Fleetwood Mac was mentioned. I tend to hear new country music all the time, but otherwise you basically have to get the media attention bestowed on Adele for me to realize that you're alive. My music exploration stopped when I was about 30.

Michele
No kidding, I live as if I was in the late 70s-early 80s too (and I don't regret it), but I like Adele It doesn't mean that if a person is still stuck in the past, they don't know or listen to today's music. I'm just very, very selective (complicated maybe?).

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 05-03-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

I'm American, but at this stage of my life I find European music to be much better - most of my favorite music is from European artists. OK, well, primarily British, but that still counts.
Have you heard of the band, "A Silent Film"? They're a great, new-ish band from Britain. They're fantastic!

As far as the subject of this thread goes, I think what Stevie said was kinda taken out of context, as there's another thread that was posted today having to do with her saying the complete opposite (that she's learned not to get so caught up in the sale numbers, with today's very different music business.) I was glad to hear this, as I'm hoping she records another solo record next year. I love Fleetwood Mac, and love seeing them live. I love watching Lindsey do his thing in person, with the rest of the gang on stage all together, but I really, really DON'T want another Mac album. I don't like the new EP, at all.
I believe Lindsey and Stevie are better off with solo careers at this point, unless Christine comes back. That's not gonna happen though.

Jamie
Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, there was an article about baby boomers clinging to their old music. I think I put it in MacNuggets, because Fleetwood Mac was mentioned. I tend to hear new country music all the time, but otherwise you basically have to get the media attention bestowed on Adele for me to realize that you're alive. My music exploration stopped when I was about 30.

Michele
I'm sure one of them.LOL..

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
but I really, really DON'T want another Mac album. I don't like the new EP, at all.
I believe Lindsey and Stevie are better off with solo careers at this point, unless Christine comes back. That's not gonna happen though.
Jamie
Me too I'm not totally pleased about the new songs. Except for Miss Fantasy (my fav). They sound totally different from the classic FM style we all love, and I agree with you on the fact that, at this point, maybe Chris will never work with them again...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default meh

You guys are all over-reacting, and frankly, the title of the article is off-base. Nicks wasn't whining about the album sales. If you actually watch the video you can see that for yourself. She was making a point about how little albums sell these days.

In fact, she was *proud* that IYD sold 300,000 because, as she said, she "sold every one of those 300,000 copies" without any major support from the record company. And this wasn't a slam on the record company either - she stated that with album sales being low, companies don't have the money to support albums like they used to.

So the entire sequence was her talking about how she went out for 2 straight years and worked hard and sold IYD and she was proud of that. The article completely misunderstood this, and most of you bought it hook line and sinker.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
You guys are all over-reacting, and frankly, the title of the article is off-base. Nicks wasn't whining about the album sales. If you actually watch the video you can see that for yourself. She was making a point about how little albums sell these days.

In fact, she was *proud* that IYD sold 300,000 because, as she said, she "sold every one of those 300,000 copies" without any major support from the record company. And this wasn't a slam on the record company either - she stated that with album sales being low, companies don't have the money to support albums like they used to.

So the entire sequence was her talking about how she went out for 2 straight years and worked hard and sold IYD and she was proud of that. The article completely misunderstood this, and most of you bought it hook line and sinker.
a voice of sanity, at last! i LOVE this forum, but it seems to have deteriorated into Camp Stevie, Camp Lindsey, and Camp Bitch About Everything!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe68 View Post
If it was a great record it would have sold. C'mon now, it sounds like an 80's record with poor production with almost all of the songs hovering over 6 minutes. There's was no monster single and certainly no great follow up single. I would blame Dave Stewart but who knows? Glen Ballard did the same thing to IYD as he did to the last Annie Lennox record - he made it sound generic.
Bull. Record sales are way down and Nicks is a legacy artist. IYD IS a great record, whether you can hear that or not, and album sales are not the only yardstick to measure by.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bull. Record sales are way down and Nicks is a legacy artist. IYD IS a great record, whether you can hear that or not, and album sales are not the only yardstick to measure by.
not to mention, IYD is FAR from generic! it totally captures her unique mystique, while branching off into blue-sy numbers (You May Be the One) and torch songs (Italian Summer)
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
not to mention, IYD is FAR from generic! it totally captures her unique mystique, while branching off into blue-sy numbers (You May Be the One) and torch songs (Italian Summer)
I agree. I really think IYD is on par with Bella Donna. There are some truly great songs on the album, and I can't think of one clunker (yes, I like "Cheaper Than Free").
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I really think IYD is on par with Bella Donna. There are some truly great songs on the album, and I can't think of one clunker (yes, I like "Cheaper Than Free").
I like every song off the album, too. It was the best thing she has done since the 80s.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i was sold on Cheaper Than Free with the lyric, "more important than freedom, being needed"
Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
a voice of sanity, at last! i LOVE this forum, but it seems to have deteriorated into Camp Stevie, Camp Lindsey, and Camp Bitch About Everything!!!
That's what I thought! Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

Quote:
Nicks wasn't whining about the album sales. If you actually watch the video you can see that for yourself. She was making a point about how little albums sell these days.

In fact, she was *proud* that IYD sold 300,000 because, as she said, she "sold every one of those 300,000 copies" without any major support from the record company
Finally, this clarifies all doubts. Thanks, tabruns

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 05-04-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeesh. Glad some reason has finally been injected into this discussion.

This is great example of irresponsible, tabloid-y journalism. The article completely overstates and misinterprets the meaning of a minor, off-the-cuff remark, and everyone takes it at face value. Even if you just look at the quote presented out of context, all she really said was that IYD sold fewer copies than she'd grown accustomed to in her heyday. That's all she said. The "disappointment" was completely fabricated. No reality-check needed.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Stevie needs to focus less on sales and more on her craft.
I like what you say in the rest of your post, but I snipped it to add to this: If Stevie wants to see sales on fire again, she should write a book. Imagine how big a Stevie Nicks memoir would be—New York Times bestseller list, here we come!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I like what you say in the rest of your post, but I snipped it to add to this: If Stevie wants to see sales on fire again, she should write a book. Imagine how big a Stevie Nicks memoir would be—New York Times bestseller list, here we come!
You think so? I highly doubt her book would generate that many sales generally, but it would certainly be invaluable to fans of Stevie and FM alike. I mean it would hit the NYT bestseller list I agree, but I don't think it would stay there for long. And I don't think it would be a rock tome that would attract music lovers as a whole. I mean a book like that could be written by a female rocker, but our rocker is not the one.

I think Stevie's book would be so Nicksentric that I'm not sure how much insight it would give into music or the eighties or the culture as a whole. I think it would be for FM lovers. It would come out the gates with lots of reviews and great sales, but then I don't think it would go very far, because of the isolated, rather than wide view, stories it would tell.

David, tell us what you think of the piano playing on Miss Fantasy and It Takes Time, if you get a chance.

Michele