The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One song that I don't get, again not saying it's bad just that I don't understand it, is "Two Kinds of Love".

I've never understood from the song exactly what the "two kinds of love" actually are.....unless the line "estranged from each other for their very survival" is a hint. She says "the two of us...widow and the dove" so I think it's another "conversation I had with Prince" song, but this entire section:

Ooh the two of us
Estranged sometimes for their very survival
Outraged at each other
Engaged to each other in their hearts
but they live apart

...makes me think it has to be about Lindsey. So basically, a song relaying a conversation she had with Prince that included talking about her relationship with Lindsey. But I'm still not following what the "Two Kinds of Love" are.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Touched By An Angel" has the cringe worthy..."Everything was the same, except that everything was different." I can understand where she's coming from, and I get what she's trying to say, but it just doesn't work, some how.

But she makes up for it by writing, "No one said a word, and that simply said it all" which is BRILLIANT!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Isn't the line actually "to fill the empty spaces she's feeling"?
yes that's the line.

Although the song overall is a bit of a mess, I've always found it to be such a great insight into where she was in her life at the time… recalling all her romances and affairs and yet still ending up alone

to fill the empty spaces she's feeling
she depends on her music like a husband
and she knows it's not good to fall in love again
one day they were lovers
one day they were friends
and there was nothing else to say
Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah. How in the hell is an artist with multiple platinum albums a "flash in the pan"?
It's hard to know where their career would be right now, had the political backlash never happened. I remember that overnight my radio station went from playing 2 Dixie Chicks songs an hour to playing NONE. It was more unsettling to me than if they'd started burning books at my local libraries.

Michele
Old 08-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually many critics consider that to be a great line.
I think that line is creative, intriguing and poetic. It's unique, thought-provoking and not pedestrian in any way.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Love Is

She cried,she fell to the floor,one tear slid across her lips to the corner of her mouth,and dropped to the floor.You've got the softest lips,the touch of your fingertips........Geez Stevie.....it sounds like she's trying to play the game"How many body parts/functions can you fit into one song?"Her choice of words really embellish the emotion - NOT!
"I'll have 'human anatomy in songs' for 400 Alex".
But.........you're still my girl Stevie
Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You guys do realize that some of you are quoting people who haven't posted on The Ledge in 10 years, right?

I still miss dissention.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One song that I don't get, again not saying it's bad just that I don't understand it, is "Two Kinds of Love".

I've never understood from the song exactly what the "two kinds of love" actually are.....unless the line "estranged from each other for their very survival" is a hint. She says "the two of us...widow and the dove" so I think it's another "conversation I had with Prince" song, but this entire section:

Ooh the two of us
Estranged sometimes for their very survival
Outraged at each other
Engaged to each other in their hearts
but they live apart

...makes me think it has to be about Lindsey. So basically, a song relaying a conversation she had with Prince that included talking about her relationship with Lindsey. But I'm still not following what the "Two Kinds of Love" are.
Stevie once said in an interview that Two Kinds of Love means the sexual vs. the soulful,compassionate love that people feel for each other.
"One for the way you walk" - the sexual /checking out the bod things like the swaying hips or a certain bounce a person might have.

"One for the way you love me" - like holding someone's hand while they're crying or gently sweeping the hair back from someone's face or wiping a single tear from they're face in times of distress.

My take on "widow and dove" is basically War and Peace.Widow: A black widow spider kills her "partner" immediately after mating with them - WAR.Stevie has said that she and Lindsey were very passionate but that was IT.They were ready to kill each other after that.

Dove: signifies peace,harmony,and soulful love - compassion, not passion =PEACE.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"What's warmer than a sun drenched land?,your hand,your hand - YIKES!!!

All of the lyrics to "Cheaper Than Free" - double YIKES!

What's sappier than an oak tree,Cheaper than Free!

Having said that,I think Stevie and Dave sing it beautifully.

Still love ya babe.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

"They run from the one who hunts them, They drop to the forest floor...frozen" I hate the lyrical changes she made to this song. The obvious references to that horrible movie is clunky and takes away a little bit from what was a great song.

"Well the conversation rings inside my head, Well you know me better than I know myself, Can you write this for me? He says no you write your songs yourself"......Why is this the chorus? it's not an embarrassing line you can just ignore, it's repeated throughout the whole song lol

"So she stares at the stairs, ooh there are many things to stare at these days" LOL
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
"What's warmer than a sun drenched land?,your hand,your hand - YIKES!!!

All of the lyrics to "Cheaper Than Free" - double YIKES!

What's sappier than an oak tree,Cheaper than Free!

Having said that,I think Stevie and Dave sing it beautifully.

Still love ya babe.
I love "Cheaper Than Free".I think its cute.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad Stevie does not have the repetitive lyric habits like some other writers of rock and any other types of music saying the same old crap a hundred times for 4 minutes.
I wish others learn from her and sing something senseful.

I dont mind a couple times with a verse.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenground View Post
"They run from the one who hunts them, They drop to the forest floor...frozen" I hate the lyrical changes she made to this song. The obvious references to that horrible movie is clunky and takes away a little bit from what was a great song.
Yeah, the added lyrics do absolutely nothing for me. And she dropped one of my favorite bits: "think that you could use a dreamer somewhere on your side." Honestly, I think my favorite version of the song is actually this cover by White Widow from some years ago, because it streamlines the lyrics but leaves in my favorite lines.

She's got some habits that others have mentioned that drive me up the wall. There's the repetitive "well" and "baby," which are basically the vocal version of her you-knowing before every sentence (no Stevie, we don't know), and definitely the "he said, she said, I said, my famous friend said" is frustrating, and Lord give me strength for the times when they all intersect.

As far as more specific lines, rather than focusing on lyrics from songs that are generally pretty rough to start with, I thought I'd mention some things that make me go "..." from songs I really love:

Sable on Blonde has "In silence she says... 'excalibur.'" It is just utterly odd. I think the sentiment behind it is beautiful: learning to live with yourself and depend on yourself and not always calling on your most precious magic, your friends, every time you feel like you're having a crisis, just learning to help yourself. But that's not made particularly clear.

I can never decide how I feel about "you can ride high atop your pony" in Bella Donna. Really the song as a whole is kind of random lyrically, but then it has some lines I really enjoy ("come in out of the darkness" and "your face becomes thin, you never thought it could") and sounds so good that I don't really care, but I usually hope that when I first introduce it to someone they are so awed by the epicness that follows that they completely forget about the pony line. I always kind of want to cringe a little, maybe because ponies have an association with fanciful little girls and only that in my head, so it seems childish. I get her drift, it's a circus, and I kinda like the trapeze and scaring all the people part. But it's like, "This is how you want to start your solo career? With ponies?" The answer to that is, of course, yes, because she's Stevie, and really, that fanciful little girl is still alive in her and lives right alongside the wise, down-to-earth survivor, and isn't that the kind of contradiction and complexity that makes us love her?

Also, hi everyone! Longtime lurker, though I haven't been around much in the past few years. I thought I'd finally wade in because I'm pretty excited about the new album.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I'm glad Stevie does not have the repetitive lyric habits like some other writers of rock and any other types of music saying the same old crap a hundred times for 4 minutes.
I wish others learn from her and sing something senseful.

I dont mind a couple times with a verse.

Wide Sargasso Sea?
Lady?

not crap, but repeated over and over for many minutes.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedancingcow View Post

I can never decide how I feel about "you can ride high atop your pony" in Bella Donna. Really the song as a whole is kind of random lyrically, but then it has some lines I really enjoy ("come in out of the darkness" and "your face becomes thin, you never thought it could") and sounds so good that I don't really care, but I usually hope that when I first introduce it to someone they are so awed by the epicness that follows that they completely forget about the pony line. I always kind of want to cringe a little, maybe because ponies have an association with fanciful little girls and only that in my head, so it seems childish. I get her drift, it's a circus, and I kinda like the trapeze and scaring all the people part. But it's like, "This is how you want to start your solo career? With ponies?" The answer to that is, of course, yes, because she's Stevie, and really, that fanciful little girl is still alive in her and lives right alongside the wise, down-to-earth survivor, and isn't that the kind of contradiction and complexity that makes us love her?

Also, hi everyone! Longtime lurker, though I haven't been around much in the past few years. I thought I'd finally wade in because I'm pretty excited about the new album.
Hi and welcome Yes the pony-phony lines bothered me for a while, and I know what you mean - why at the very start of the album?! But I love the song and album so much that I'm now ok with those lines. Interesting to read your comments.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 09-01-2014 at 03:22 AM..