Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Discuss: Songbird

I was never really into this song when I first became a fan. I thought it kind of dragged the album down a bit, an OK piano ballad but nothing special. Then someone close to me died, and I heard it with an entirely different perspective. I know Chris didn't write it about someone's death (I don't think she did, correct me if I'm wrong) but it's come to represent this loss for me. It can still bring a tear to my eye if I'm in the right mood (or I've been drinking .) Now I think it's stunningly beautiful. Her voice is so pure & smooth on this track, it's just gorgeous.

I also think that it was the perfect closer for Mac shows. Perfect. Although I hate it when she squeezes in "goodnight everybody" in between the "like never before's"
Old 03-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it. It's in my top 5 of favourite Christine tunes (Why being number 1). I love how simple yet pretty it is. You know, less is more.

I was completely miffed when Eva Cassidy's version made the top 2000 here while the original version didn't. Thank God a lot of people agreed. The song doesn't need a big production behind it. With the piano alone it makes a much bigger impact.

I think she said she wrote it during one of those nights where everybody was pissed off at each other and she just wanted it all to be peaceful again, that it was sort of a gift for everyone. But don't quote me on that.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's one of my all time favourite Chris songs

the simplicity of the production complements the simplicity of the song itself.

Stunning vocals by Ms McVie

I don't like the "thank yous and goodnights" in between the "like never befores" either but I can live with it

I do like Eva Cassidy's version (and Willie Nelson's) but for me it will always be the perfect end to a FM concert.

Gail

PS Have you heard the instrumental version that someone posted a while back? I think they took it off the DVD audio of Rumours. Just piano and guitar - sounds lovely
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE it and cannot believe they took out the "you smiled and it makes me feel good inside . . . ." additional lyrics.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry, but I can't stand it. I've never really liked it, so I just skip it. Btw, my answer will be the exact same (maybe a little worse) when you get to Oh Daddy.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's okay. It's good. Personally, it should have been the album closer, than the end to Side 1. Chris has so many other songs that are better than this. It feels incomplete to me.

The outtakes are so much better than the album version will ever be.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

The ultimate FM show-closer bar none, although Goodbye Baby and Hypnotized both did a good job as well. On the album it comes in perfectly after the aggression of GYOW to close side 1 - the old days when the two sides of the vinyl album could be seen as separate entities. On the DVD-A they put this as the final track, which was a better solution for a single-sided disc.

David O. once convincingly argued that even though the track is dominated by the piano and the guitar only plays rhythm, the piano on Songbird isn't a lead instrument. It isn't Chris' style to play lead!

A gorgeous vocal as well. If I had to choose my favourite Christine song at gunpoint, I might choose this one. Or Hold Me. Or Brown Eyes. Or... you get me.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Songbird" is my second favorite CM song, after "Why". She has said that she wrote it for everyone...a Fleetwood Mac prayer. I LOVE everything about it. The lyrics are beautiful. It's been played at both weddings & funerals. It's just a beautiful, yet simple song. Less is more in this case.

My favorite version is the album version, but I loved it live at the end of Fleetwood Mac shows. It was a perfect closer. I never minded her goodbyes or "drive home carefully" near the end. I also love the outtake version on the bonus disc of the re-mastered Rumours with the gentle guitar & bass.

Even though "Don't Stop" is still the best known Christine(& Fleetwood Mac) song, "Songbird" is definitely Christine's signature song. I never saw a Fleetwood Mac concert without "Songbird" at the end.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I LOVE it and cannot believe they took out the "you smiled and it makes me feel good inside . . . ." additional lyrics.
****, yeah. I wonder why they did that? I doubt it could've been for time purposes, since it adds all of... what, 1 extra minute to the song? I really like that part. I think it kind of ties everything together. Not that it doesn't flow without it, but now that I've heard that version, I keep expecting that verse to be there when I listen to the album v.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
****, yeah. I wonder why they did that? I doubt it could've been for time purposes, since it adds all of... what, 1 extra minute to the song? I really like that part. I think it kind of ties everything together. Not that it doesn't flow without it, but now that I've heard that version, I keep expecting that verse to be there when I listen to the album v.
What killed me was that they didn't put the third verse version on the remaster!
Dumb, dumb, dumb, IMO.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
didn't CM say it was redundant? personally, i like that verse.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm afraid I really don't like songbird much. Maybe it's because I've heard it so many times, but I prefer to hear Christine singing on Lindsey's and Stevie's song rather than her own. Don't Stop is a classic but her other Rumours work just passes me by.

But, Songbird is way way better than either 'Only over You' and 'Wish you were here'. I just can't listen to those two when I play Mirage.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
didn't CM say it was redundant? personally, i like that verse.
Did she? Musta been drunk.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did she? Musta been drunk.
who, you were drunk?

oh, CM. well, duh.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
who, you were drunk?

oh, CM. well, duh.
We are actually one and the same, remember? So you're technically right.