Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default “Why I’m Done with Fleetwood Mac”

Spectator article by a Michael Hann

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/...fleetwood-mac/

from the article:

The Mac have long had hipster allure (search SoundCloud for Fleetmac Wood, who make disco and dance edits and mixes of old Mac tracks), but the people at Wembley weren’t hipsters: they were simply in love with one of the great catalogues of modern pop, specifically that created by the Lindsey Buckingham-Stevie Nicks iteration of the group.

One problem, though. Fleetwood Mac sacked Buckingham last year, and without him and the peculiar rage he brought to their show they were no more than a very high-class karaoke act. For several years I had wondered why their gigs were built around the psychodrama between Buckingham and Nicks, with them pretending to be starcrossed lovers, decades after their romantic relationship ended, and with every-one present knowing they despised each other. In his absence, the answer became clear: it provided a narrative structure that held everything together, a sense of tension that made a nostalgia show something that felt alive.

No show with songs as good as ‘Go Your Own Way’ or ‘Landslide’ or ‘Dreams’ is going to be bad. But Fleetwood Mac certainly had a good go at it: the sound was awful, even by the standards of huge shows, and the production — a crucial element in stadiums — redefined the word ‘perfunctory’. A couple of hundred quid to squint at underlit figures, with most of the music just a morass of sludge? They should have been ashamed.

One of the loveliest songs on Rumours was Buckingham’s acoustic number ‘Never Going Back Again’. It came to mind as I left Wembley. Alas, even with a band I love, I’m never going back again.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I mistyped “Done” as “Dine” in the thread title. Can a moderator help me edit it? I don’t know how.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I mistyped “Done” as “Dine” in the thread title. Can a moderator help me edit it? I don’t know how.
Ok, although this guy probably wouldn't dine with Fleetwood Mac either.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gracias! And I agree.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree completely, too. The band of my life is dead to me. I'll always listen to their past, but never see a show again, or buy any "viable product"(bonus points for naming that reference).

Old Goat Breath killed FM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I agree completely, too. The band of my life is dead to me. I'll always listen to their past, but never see a show again, or buy any "viable product"(bonus points for naming that reference).

Old Goat Breath killed FM.
Christine Tusk Tour doc. Drunk as a skunk on her boat.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine Tusk Tour doc. Drunk as a skunk on her boat.
Indeed. I think that's one of the reasons I loved her so. Never photographed without a cocktail in hand.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I think that's one of the reasons I loved her so. Never photographed without a cocktail in hand.
Haha!! I love both of you!!
Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Haha!! I love both of you!!
She and I happen to share the same affliction.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She and I happen to share the same affliction.
And I just dig her speaking and singing voice, drunk or sober.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have been a fan sine the 1970s. The thing that now exists as a money mill oldies jukebox unit is no longer Fleetwood Mac to me. Stevie is a real life Medea to ruin Fleetwood Mac's chance to make one more album with their classic lineup . I am hearing rumblings that one of the only other international mega bands of the 1970s with all living members may make one more album. If ABBA should do this it will help wash away the bitter disappointment of the needless implosion of the other big band of my teenage years.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I just dig her speaking and singing voice, drunk or sober.
Hope you enjoy her forked tongue as well, drunk or sober.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Hope you enjoy her forked tongue as well, drunk or sober.
That was kind of her charm. Cool, pretty, yet strong AF. You didn't f*ck with Christine McVie!

Back then anyway. She's an old company shill, now.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was kind of her charm. Cool, pretty, yet strong AF. You didn't f*ck with Christine McVie!

Back then anyway. She's an old company shill, now.
Well, the whole Bob Welch thing with the RRHOF is so much more believable to me now that this thing with Lindsey has happened. We should have listened to Wendy when she was so vocal on these boards a few years ago. I thought she was a little nuts then. Not so much now.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Well, the whole Bob Welch thing with the RRHOF is so much more believable to me now that this thing with Lindsey has happened. We should have listened to Wendy when she was so vocal on these boards a few years ago. I thought she was a little nuts then. Not so much now.
I agree. Wendy telling us the whole Bob story about Christine, was the beginning of the end, of me being her #1 fan. I began to see her darker side.

BuckVie was one of my favorite experiences,ever. So all their "love" was WHAT? Just some fake assed show??? Christine SUCKS in the loyalty department(sorry, John). She does!

And I do think that Wendy was a little nuts, but Bob was her world, and she defended him until her death. I admire that quality. True love!