User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Peter Green in Holland

Hi,

I'm going to see the Peter Green Splinter Group coming Saturday the 18th. They are playing near me.

I'll try to put a review on asap.

Bye,
Dimphy
Old 01-14-2003, 04:00 AM
Ledgie

Post In Zoetermeer

I am going to the concert in Zoetermeer on Friday. Where's yours? Have you seen the interview in Aloha yet?

Anna
Old 01-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Ledgie

Hi Anna!

What's the interview in Aloha?

Doc
Old 01-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Ledgie

Post Peter Green Interview

I don't know whether you are Dutch or not, but there's a Peter Green interview & picture in the January issue of the Dutch music magazine Aloha. Quite a surprise indeed! They didn't say that Peter was doing concerts in The Netherlands, I found that out by accident...
The Aloha interview is quite annoying, because Nigel Watson gives all the answers. The only interesting thing Peter Green says is that he doesn't like doing concerts overhere, because everyone gets drunk and no one listens!

Well, at least I know what to do next Friday.

Anna
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Ledgie

Hi anna! Thanks!

No, I am not Dutch, I'm in the U.S.

Well I hope that you enjoy your show!

Peter is not very communicative these days, at least not to the press. I'm surprised that you were annoyed by Nigel answering most of the questions in the article. I found him to be quite pleasant upon meeting him, and I really like his performing. Especially on the "Blues Don't Change" CD. I hope that he will do more like that.

Don't miss this show!!!! Peter is closer now than ever to playing like he did in the old days. He just keeps getting better and better with every show.

Again, have a good time at the show!

Doc

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 01-17-2003 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Ledgie

Hey Mario!!!

It's Guiseppi! The Ramblin' Pony!

I heard a rumor that The Splinter Group might open for Fleetwood Mac on some of the 2003 tour. Has Martin said anything about this?

Doc
Old 01-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello from Italy.

Splinter Group opening for Fleetwwod Mac 2003 Tour?

I don't know, it's difficult to say, but knowing in some way the whole situation, I don't think this could really happen,

But, never say never again.

Stay Green,

Mario.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:03 AM
Ledgie

Post The concert

Hey Doctor Brown: the only thing I meant was that it was annoying that Nigel gave all the answers instead of Peter himself. In that interview, he interrupts Peter or he says: Peter doesn't mean that. He seemed overprotective. That's all.

Well, the main thing is: I have been to the concert and it was more than I expected! Peter is in a bad condition indeed, but he seemed to enjoy himself more and more. It was really good to hear the old classics performed live now. It is difficult to say whether his guitar playing is improving: most of the time, you don't hear him play at all! But Oh Well, I have seen a Legend live and it was great!

Anna
Old 01-18-2003, 10:50 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: The concert

Quote:
Originally posted by anna
Hey Doctor Brown: the only thing I meant was that it was annoying that Nigel gave all the answers instead of Peter himself. In that interview, he interrupts Peter or he says: Peter doesn't mean that. He seemed overprotective. That's all.

Well, the main thing is: I have been to the concert and it was more than I expected! Peter is in a bad condition indeed, but he seemed to enjoy himself more and more. It was really good to hear the old classics performed live now. It is difficult to say whether his guitar playing is improving: most of the time, you don't hear him play at all! But Oh Well, I have seen a Legend live and it was great!

Anna
Hi again Anna!

I understood what you meant. But don't think that Nigel is being over protective. Peter wants him to do that. Remember these guys are together twenty-four hours a day. And the press will take something and blow it out of purportion if it is not immediately addressed. I think that Peter would have liked to have someone there to do that right from the very beginning. He's never been comfortable with those people.

Well, you went to the concert. In what way was it more than you expected?

Will you expound on what you mean by 'Peter was in a bad condition"?

Did you get a chance to talk to him after the show?

You couldn't hear him playing? That's too bad. When I saw him last year. He put in a great performance. I was right down front and of course I could actually see him playing, and he was really good. You could especially hear the slide playing on "I Believe My Time Ain't Long". You knew it was him because he was the only one playing slide.

I don't mean to "drill" you here, I'm just trying to get a feel of how the tour is going.

Thanks,

Doc
Old 01-19-2003, 04:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm looking forward to seeing the PGSG again this year (assuming they DO come to the US and SoCal in particular). Each time I've seen them (three times since 1988), they've gotten better & better.

In regards to Nigel "doing all the talking", etc, the fact needs to be taken that Nigel's sister was pretty much Peter's "caretaker" during Peter's dark days, and was MAJOR in Peter's "recovery"...and some of that most likely has rubbed off on Nigel. Plus, Peter & Nigel seem as close as Lennon & McCartney EVER were...like brothers.

The thing about the PGSG is that they're really A BAND, the only reason that Peter's name is in the title of the band is to "sell" the band...he's finally in a situation where he can be "Just one of the guys" and not the main focal point. Sure, the reason MOST people go see them is due to Peter's legend. BUT, as one can see once they've seen the PGSG live, it's a band of 5 EQUALS, not Peter & a backup band. Nigel & Roger are strong personalities and Stroudie & Larry Tolfree are as tight a rhythm section as can be found. (I'd even dare say that they're tighter than Mick & John at this point, since Stroudie & Tolfree play constantly, whereas Mick & John seem to only play together when there's a Fleetwood Mac project in the works) It's a situation where Peter can kind of "disappear" into the group and not have to be the "bandleader". Something he was TRYING to achieve with Fleetwood Mac, but never materialized...ONE of the plethora of reasons for his departure from FMac.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-19-2003 at 04:19 AM..
Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 AM
Ledgie

Post The concert

I expected to witness a historical event, I guess: watching Peter Green playing live (in my own country!).
Just before the members of the PGSG arrived on stage, some people said: as long as he moves, I am satisfied allready, I don't care if he plays or not. I didn't know what to expect, but what we got was a great concert! Intimate atmosphere, great music. It really rocked!
Peter Green seemed lost, though. I know I can't compare it to other shows, but he seemed to live in his own small world-on-stage. I stood in the front row, just 1 metre in front of him (which was really great!), but I know he never actually SAW me, if you know what I mean. His focus was smaller than that. And sometimes he didn't know what to do or where to go, and Nigel had to accompany him.
He used 3 guitars, a green, an orange and a dark one, I think you'll know which ones I mean. But during the first part of the show, he pulled and turned the buttons more than he touched the strings. And at moments he touched the strings, you couldn't hear him playing. Which IMO was not due to bad acoustics, but to Peter's condition.
The second part of the concert was really great. They played the old classics and Peter enjoyed himself more and more. He smiled a lot! He even did some guitar solos and he did them well. The Green Manalishi sounded almost like the original, and Peter did both guitar and vocals himself. He had a very clear moment when he told us: this is not about the dollar, but about the euro!
When they played Man Of The World instrumental, you might have heard a pin drop. I expected the audience to sing along with the music, but was happy to hear that no one did. In a way, it was too tragic.

So I expected an historical event and got a great concert. Next time, I'll be there again! If there will be a next time...

No, I haven't spoken to Peter and Nigel, but I saw them in the café talking to some people. Peter seemed so lost, he didn't notice anyone, I really didn't want to bother him.

I have some great pictures!

Anna
Old 01-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Ledgie

Anna,

Thank You for your detailed accounting of the concert. It sounds like it was wonderful.

Of course it is not the Peter of the 60's, but considering all that he has been through, from what you said, it sounds like Peter was doing well.

When I saw him in 2000, I was also right in front of him. I would be watching him and he would look right at me and turn so I could see what he was playing. It was like he was talking to me.... Truely the height of fandom for me.

What you said about it being a great concert is typical of the response of those who see them. That pleases me that they can do that, and it's not just a carnival show with Peter as the attraction.

What ChilliD says is so true. They really have become a tight band, and Peter is happy in his role.

I am also looking forward to seeing them in 2003. With the new album coming out, I think they will be touring. I expect that we will see them in the U.S in September.

It was nice talking with you,

Doc

P.S Would love to see your pictures!

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 01-19-2003 at 11:02 AM..
Old 01-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Ledgie

Doc

What you said is very true about Peter. I saw him back in November along with John Mayall and his playing was very good. They did a blistering version of 'Black Magic Woman' which is being recorded in the studio for inclusion on the new album.
Got a ticket this week to see PG and the Splinter Group next month along with a ticket to see 'Rumours of Fleetwood Mac' in March. Just hope I can get tickets when the real FM tour in the U.K. (Hope & Pray!!)

By the way,I found a picture of the cover for the new PG & Splinter Group cd, which I have attached.Take a look.

Cheers,
Blue Horizon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pg cool 100.jpg (18.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool cover!! Thanks for that!

With as much as the PGSG tours and how they can get an album done in such short amount of time (with high quality, too!), it just boggles my mind...and kind of sets a standard. Can you imagine Lindsey & Co recording two albums worth of material in six weeks time (as the PGSG did with "Time Traders" & "Blues Don't Change") and then RELEASING within a couple of months??
Old 01-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi,

I think Anna said it all, it was great to see Peter live and was really enjoying himself.
The guitarplaying was good enough for me.

I went to see him in Stadskanaal Anna.

Dimphy