The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate to be a big nay sayer, but this seems like a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. It's really really sad that the main point of discussion here is whether Christine and Lindsey are playing/singing on which songs. Add to that the fact (not conjecture but fact) that they are piping in background vocals and you get a really poor excuse for live music. I adore Fleetwood Mac as we all do here, and it pains me to write this, but live music should be live music. IF Christine can't play because of arthritis, which I totally understand, then don't have her sitting at a keyboard pretending. I completely understand and sympathize with the fact that they are aging. We all have to deal with that and it's really hard when our bodies start letting us down. But I think it's fundamentally wrong to pretend that they are playing when they aren't. It's not respectful of the audience. And while I don't really know their financial situations, if they aren't set for life, then something is really wrong. Why can't they have one or two background singers who actually sing the background vocals? I have a hard time believing that they can't afford that. Anyway, sorry to be so negative, and I'll be ducking all the rotten tomatoes that get thrown my way as soon as I post this, but this whole thing makes me really sad.

Last edited by pattyfan; 06-28-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
I hate to be a big nay sayer, but this seems like a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. It's really really sad that the main point of discussion here is whether Christine and Lindsey are planing/singing on which songs. Add to that the fact (not conjecture but fact) that they are piping in background vocals and you get a really poor excuse for live music. I adore Fleetwood Mac as we all do here, and it pains me to write this, but live music should be live music. IF Christine can't play because of arthritis, which I totally understand, then don't have her sitting at a keyboard pretending. I completely understand and sympathize with the fact that they are aging. We all have to deal with that and it's really hard when our bodies start letting us down. But I think it's fundamentally wrong to pretend that they are playing when they aren't. It's not respectful of the audience. And while I don't really know their financial situations, if they aren't set for life, then something is really wrong. Why can't they have one or two background singers who actually sing the background vocals? I have a hard time believing that they can't afford that. Anyway, sorry to be so negative, and I'll be ducking all the rotten tomatoes that get thrown my way as soon as I post this, but this whole thing makes me really sad.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said here. Every video I have watched so far has baffled me how they could be touring and sounding so awful. Now I am glad I didn't buy a ticket for the Boston show. I do realize the sound I am hearing is what was recorded from fan's telephones but seriously, watching them gives me the feeling I am viewing an amateur act at some local club of which I walk out on after the 5th song cause they just can't seem to get it together. And I blame most of this bad performing on our beloved Christine. Lindsey looks slightly uncomfortable as if he's trying to hold things together but even his dignity can't save this sorry excuse of a performance.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Seriously, this is bad. How can Mr. Perfectionist Lindsey Buckingham allow this?
I think Lindsey is completely to blame for the karaoke.

Last time I saw him solo, he played along with karaoke for half of his show. It's f*cking TACKY, and he should know better.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Last time I saw him solo, he played along with karaoke for half of his show. It's f*cking TACKY, and he should know better.
And I wonder how they're gonna manage a year and a half tour in these conditions....
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

No. It was completely different for his one man show. He was not *pretending* to play when he didn't, he would put the backing track on and standing without playing thus making it very clear when he used backup track - which was on 4 songs only, not the whole set. He would play stuff on request that he did not have planned too.

Very very different situation from this tour when they are pretending to be playing when they are not. Very weird.

To whoever is saying they are glad they are not going to see the show - you shouldn't be glad you are just depriving yourself of a really great experience. If you are going to see FM but not this, then your thinking makes no sense whatsoever because they'll just do the same thing. Remember Mick has hidden drummer who they don't even introduce as a part of the band.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suspect Christine is using the keyboard as a crutch. She has said several times in interviews she prefers to stay out of the spotlight while on stage, and she always seemed a bit uncomfortable when singing Everywhere or Say You Love Me away from her keyboards. At least with Tusk, she had her accordion to keep her hands busy. So I would say that her stage discomfort is why she stays behind the keyboards and pretends to play, even when she's not. It's clear she doesn't just want to sing behind a microphone.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I suspect Christine is using the keyboard as a crutch. She has said several times in interviews she prefers to stay out of the spotlight while on stage, and she always seemed a bit uncomfortable when singing Everywhere or Say You Love Me away from her keyboards. At least with Tusk, she had her accordion to keep her hands busy. So I would say that her stage discomfort is why she stays behind the keyboards and pretends to play, even when she's not. It's clear she doesn't just want to sing behind a microphone.
I have a Rumours GYOW rehearsal mp3, where they play for a bit, then discuss what to work on. She clearly says(to Richard, I assume), to keep the organ very low in the mix during the verses. She's only holding chords, because she doesn't want to stand there and do nothing. So it was sort of a prop there.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

IF that's the case, then it begs the question of how well they really thought this tour through. To me it sort of seems like when a great athlete starts to age. She might hope for that one great run through a tournament or that one last great game, but watching while she goes out there hoping for that can be painful, and it may come, or it may not. I kind of resolved myself to the fact that Fleetwood Mac had extra musicians when they toured, but I didn't know that during their shows they weren't always playing. I'm going to try to forget that I know that, and with my memory these days, it just might work. Now I'm hoping that they don't add a Bay Area show because if they do, I'll probably go, basically just to hear the new songs and Wish You Were Here, canned vocals and extra musicians be damned.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree with all points, canned vocals and miming instruments have no place in a live tour.

Good point, why not get some backing singers in?
Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ok people, i'm tired of all this negativity in the thread about the fabulous DC show.

move it all on to Boston!

in the meantime, here's a link to the photo of the crowd at Wolf Trap that i took from the pit - to all naysayers about how they were not gonna be selling the shows - here you go, sold out inside this gorgeous venue plus thousands of people on the lawn:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said here. Every video I have watched so far has baffled me how they could be touring and sounding so awful. Now I am glad I didn't buy a ticket for the Boston show. I do realize the sound I am hearing is what was recorded from fan's telephones but seriously, watching them gives me the feeling I am viewing an amateur act at some local club of which I walk out on after the 5th song cause they just can't seem to get it together. And I blame most of this bad performing on our beloved Christine. Lindsey looks slightly uncomfortable as if he's trying to hold things together but even his dignity can't save this sorry excuse of a performance.
Yep I agree, pretty much cringe worthy to my ears as well.. sorry to say but Christine can hardly hold a tune from what i have listened to so far.. Give me Stevie any-day, she never disappoints..
Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ok people, i'm tired of all this negativity in the thread about the fabulous DC show.

move it all Boston
Whew. Idk what we'd do without you. Thanks for your tutelage!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Every video I have watched so far has baffled me how they could be touring and sounding so awful. I do realize the sound I am hearing is what was recorded from fan's telephones but seriously...
As much as I hate to, I totally agree with this.

I like the album and wish them the best of luck.
And even think they're better off without "her".
But of the videos I've watched it's really sounding bad
live in concert.

David told me to pull no punches. Blame him!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
As much as I hate to, I totally agree with this.

I like the album and wish them the best of luck.
And even think they're better off without "her".
But of the videos I've watched it's really sounding bad
live in concert.

David told me to pull no punches. Blame him!
isn't it interesting that people who actually were at one of their concerts have totally different opinion of how they sound from people sitting at home listening to bad videos on facebook live?? see the concert before you judge from bad phone videos taken right in front of the speakers. it's like you all never heard the difference between a sound at the concert (unless you are right upfront in not-so-great venue) and a bad youtube videos - but maybe you all really don't know there's a huge difference?

i can tell you that in concert they sound great. especially in a proper concert hall venues such as wolftrap - sound there was so full, lush and perfect.

Last edited by elle; 06-29-2017 at 02:45 AM..