Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why Mick and Stevie?

Has anybody ever read about WHY they chose Mick and Stevie to appear at the Rumours cover? I mean why just those two, why not Mick and John again, or why not the 5 members, or Mick and the girls, or Mick and Chris (that would be again a Fleetwood and a Mac, like in the previous album).

Mick's book describes the cover but not the story behind it.

The cover depicted me and Stevie in our stage clothes, she in black chiffon and ballet shoes, me with my wooden balls hanging. In my left hand I hold the same crystal ball juggled by McVie on the cover of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My guess is because they're the most dramatic personalities in the band, and it was a drama filled album. Mick and Stevie also wore the most flamboyant clothing. Their height difference is also equally dramatic. Stevie wasn't a road tested or well known band member in '75 for her to warrant an album cover... but she was a rising star by '77. My guess is the powers at be realized her unique sex appeal and decided it'd be smart to put her on the album cover. Putting Mick and Stevie on the cover also cemented the marriage of new and old Fleetwood Mac. So it was probably a combination of several things which got Mick and Stevie on the cover of Rumours.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default good summation louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My guess is because they're the most dramatic personalities in the band, and it was a drama filled album. Mick and Stevie also wore the most flamboyant clothing. Their height difference is also equally dramatic. Stevie wasn't a road tested or well known band member in '75 for her to warrant an album cover... but she was a rising star by '77. My guess is the powers at be realized her unique sex appeal and decided it'd be smart to put her on the album cover. Putting Mick and Stevie on the cover also cemented the marriage of new and old Fleetwood Mac. So it was probably a combination of several things which got Mick and Stevie on the cover of Rumours.
works for me!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Dude, that's deep. Keep it up, and you just might make it here as a mod, someday.....oh, wait!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I guess Mick just loves being on everything. You'll notice how Mick pops up everywhere throughout FM history. He's on several album covers (always in a theatrical if not downright silly pose). Personally I'm surprised he didn't have his head poking out of the dustbin (trash can for the Americans) on the dog & dustbin cover from '68.

Plus he pops up during Bob Welch's solo work and during Stevie's solo work (if anyone can explain the point of his appearance on the Red Rocks video then please do so). It was to be expected that he would pop up here too. John never did seem to crave the attention as much.

Oh and Stevie? Well she was hotter than Christine. What more can I say?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well I guess Mick just loves being on everything. You'll notice how Mick pops up everywhere throughout FM history. He's on several album covers (always in a theatrical if not downright silly pose). Personally I'm surprised he didn't have his head poking out of the dustbin (trash can for the Americans) on the dog & dustbin cover from '68.

Plus he pops up during Bob Welch's solo work and during Stevie's solo work (if anyone can explain the point of his appearance on the Red Rocks video then please do so).
He's on Lindsey's solo work too. He's in the Trouble video. He's one of the few portrayed drummers who is actually a drummer.

Michele
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You broke it down.

Also, they were f***ing.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
You broke it down.

Also, they were f***ing.
Lol @ that sextape!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You broke it down.

Also, they were f***ing.

I don't think that happened until after Rumours was released... otherwise I woulda added it to the list!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't think that happened until after Rumours was released... otherwise I woulda added it to the list!
In his book, Mick told it was during the Rumours tour, between Australia and New Zealand
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well... Destiny Rules... the Mac exist outside time/space constraints

But also I would propose: Mick IS the Secret Love.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

HmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmmm interesting.........
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

But why would it be a secret now? I think she would just say, "Oh, that was about Mick," in much the same way as "If You Ever Did Believe" is admittedly about him.

May have been a clandestine secret then, but by now it's like, "have fun tell the world." I think the secret is about someone she still has not been revealed to have been linked with back then.

Michele
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

But Mick has said that there was always something between him and Stevie, from the time they met and even Lindsey hazily saw it, between tokes.

So, that covert and budding attraction probably did contribute to them being on the cover together.

Cover's not iconic to me. I think it's stupid. I would never let that thing see the light of day anywhere in my home. I hide it.

Michele
Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But why would it be a secret now? I think she would just say, "Oh, that was about Mick," in much the same way as "If You Ever Did Believe" is admittedly about him.

May have been a clandestine secret then, but by now it's like, "have fun tell the world." I think the secret is about someone she still has not been revealed to have been linked with back then.

Michele
There's no telling at exactly which point those involved (Mick's wife at the time, Lindsey) can handle knolwedge of this relationship. I mean, if we're talking real early it would fit into my theory that Mick asked them to join with the intention of seducing Stevie. I D K might be too much for Lindsey's ego to take--or Stevie's perception of her hold on his heart (one of my best friends called her statements about Lindsey's regrets "deluded").

...or just to sustain the mystery. Yes, it could have been a LOT of guys (folks?) but I feel Mick. Does he play drums on it? If he does, I'm sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But Mick has said that there was always something between him and Stevie, from the time they met and even Lindsey hazily saw it, between tokes.

So, that covert and budding attraction probably did contribute to them being on the cover together.Cover's not iconic to me. I think it's stupid.

I would never let that thing see the light of day anywhere in my home. I hide it.

Michele
TOTALLY agree. That's a less vulgar way of saying what I had meant, based on the information we definitively do have.

I think you have to admit that the album cover is iconic even if it's stupid, like the Michael Jackson Thriller video (which is a dank uninspired affair, compared to those of his sister's videos and his own videos from the Bad album onward).

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-04-2011 at 02:02 PM..