The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What is your opinion of the musician Stephen Stills?

* crazy fan girl alert*
He's my favorite musician, so I'm curious what my fellow ledgies think of him and the bands he's been in.

I personally like almost everything he's done, apart from a song or two here and there. He might not be the nicest person ever, but musically he's amazing, imo.

So what do ya'll think of him?

Last edited by I'msoAfraid95; 02-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't say I'm a "crazy fan girl" but I am certainly a fan!

I don't know much about his personal life, other than he has a bunch of kids and he throws temper tantrums, but I LOVE Buffalo Springfield and CSN, and CSN&Y!

I followed Neil Young's solo career more, but gotta love the brilliance of Stephen Stills. He has given us some damn good songs.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He is a great artist.I like his music plus CSN&Y tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad this thread exists! I always thought he was (by far) the cutest of three (or four) of CSN or CSNY. So yeah, I'm right there with you as a "crazy fan girl." I love his solo stuff, and I am even more of a fan after seeing CSN live in Cincinnati last summer. Stills was having a rough night singing, and couldn't really even sing about 2/3 of the set, but for the encores, he sang "Love the One You're With," and it was awesome. He really got into it, Crosby and Nash were happy for him, the audience got into it, and he was even throwing guitar picks into the crowd. It gave me goosebumps. Not to mention, his guitar skills are brilliant.

As far as bands go, I'm partial to Buffalo Springfield, but the Stills Young Band was really sweet, regardless of how fleeting it was. "Long May You Run" is one of my favorite albums. And ALL of my favorite CSN songs were written by Stills.

Last edited by Blueletter18; 02-05-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My opinion is he needs to cough up with this album already... I'm still waiting!! (or maybe it's already out there under a different name... if so, please provide details)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...nfirmed-163937

Michael LeonardJuly 9, 2008, 9:04 GMT

John McDermott, one of the archivists and overseers of Jimi Hendrix's recordings, has confirmed that an album of tracks featuring Stephen Stills and Hendrix is being readied for release.

McDermott confirmed to MusicRadar: "Stephen has been working with Experience Hendrix to compile an album's worth of sessions recorded with Jimi Hendrix during 1969 and 1970." McDermott says he is acting as a co-producer on the collection, but no further details are being released yet.

Previous sessions involving the two guitarists have emerged before – notably the Stills' Basement bootlegs - but the authenticity of some of those tracks has been questioned. One track featuring Hendrix on guitar, from 1970 - Old Times, Good Times – appeared on Stills' self-titled debut album of the same year, but it seems there is much more.

White Nigger due for official release?

The most controversial track the two recorded together is called White Nigger – many versions of this song (originally recorded with Stills singing and Hendrix on guitar) have surfaced before, but there is dispute as to whether these existing bootlegs actually feature Hendrix or are later versions recorded by Stills in 1973 with a different guitarist.

A source close to the project told MusicRadar: "We have tapes in our archive - Jimi on guitar and bass - plus Stephen had some from his 1970 solo album that he wanted to finish, fix and mix. From a musical point of view, it's definitely Stephen with Jimi helping - as opposed to a joint collaboration. But it is still a very nice project."

Jimi Hendrix is still consistently voted the greatest guitarist of all time, so more unreleased Jimi tracks? What's not for guitar players to like?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is this box set coming out on March 26- a couple Hendrix tracks are included, but no White Nigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Carry-On-Steph...I2V8LLN3TW73UT
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
There is this box set coming out on March 26- a couple Hendrix tracks are included, but no White Nigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Carry-On-Steph...I2V8LLN3TW73UT
Dang it. I was hoping that it would be included in the box set. I am so gonna get that box set. Even if I have to beg my grandmother for money.

"Nana there's something educational that I want. It costs $80. May I please have the money to get it"? I just won't tell her that its educational about music.

Ok I'm joking but still she might give me the money to get it.

Last edited by I'msoAfraid95; 02-06-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad this thread exists! I always thought he was (by far) the cutest of three (or four) of CSN or CSNY. So yeah, I'm right there with you as a "crazy fan girl." I love his solo stuff, and I am even more of a fan after seeing CSN live in Cincinnati last summer. Stills was having a rough night singing, and couldn't really even sing about 2/3 of the set, but for the encores, he sang "Love the One You're With," and it was awesome. He really got into it, Crosby and Nash were happy for him, the audience got into it, and he was even throwing guitar picks into the crowd. It gave me goosebumps. Not to mention, his guitar skills are brilliant.

As far as bands go, I'm partial to Buffalo Springfield, but the Stills Young Band was really sweet, regardless of how fleeting it was. "Long May You Run" is one of my favorite albums. And ALL of my favorite CSN songs were written by Stills.
He is definitely the most handsome out of the 4 guys. I mean this picture*drools*

My dream is to see him live, either solo or with the guys. They're touring in May, in every state around here but mine.

Last edited by I'msoAfraid95; 02-06-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm probably one of the few people who prefer Stephen in everything(solo work, guitar, vocals, looks etc) over Neil.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
I'm probably one of the few people who prefer Stephen in everything(solo work, guitar, vocals, looks etc) over Neil.
Yeah, me too. I guess you'll just have to drive to another state to see him this summer!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Ledgie

I'm a big Stills fan as well, always thought he had the best voice in rock & roll till he blew it out around 1999. I've seen CSN(y) a few times since and it's painful to see Stephen struggle with what used to be second nature. Dylan & Gordon Lightfoot also struggle mightily with the aging of their voices.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, me too. I guess you'll just have to drive to another state to see him this summer!
More like get somebody to drive me. I don't have my license yet. I'm waiting til I turn 18 in Sept.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shoot, that's rough! I really hope you get a chance to see him. Sure, his voice is a shadow of its former self, but he still plays an awesome guitar.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I'm a big Stills fan as well, always thought he had the best voice in rock & roll till he blew it out around 1999. I've seen CSN(y) a few times since and it's painful to see Stephen struggle with what used to be second nature. Dylan & Gordon Lightfoot also struggle mightily with the aging of their voices.
That would be so sad to have your voice taken away-- or anything that was "second nature" that you loved, for that matter. I wonder why some voices age much faster/worse than others. It doesn't seem to be solely related to lifestyle, but more likley to genetics. I just wonder what causes it in some people and not in others to the same extent.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Bought tickets the other day to see CS&N on May 7th. Last time I saw them (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) was in 1972 or 1973 at the Boston Garden.

OMG, I might've -ahem- aged just a little bit, lol.