User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
but if they had a pact not to tell the truth about the start of their relationship, that can be the only reason I can think of that would cause them to do so.
I guess it all adds to that "voyeuristic" allure the band had during the RUMOURS days... and still seems to have (as they get the same questions about it over and over)... I for one don't care when they first started dating... I don't think its that relevant. They were a couple for certain. In the least, by the time they made Buckingham Nicks and moving into Fleetwood Mac. If Buckingham & Stevie had some "secret pact" agreeing on time frames that weren't true, that would indeed be bizarre.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I guess it all adds to that "voyeuristic" allure the band had during the RUMOURS days... and still seems to have (as they get the same questions about it over and over)... I for one don't care when they first started dating... I don't think its that relevant. They were a couple for certain. In the least, by the time they made Buckingham Nicks and moving into Fleetwood Mac. If Buckingham & Stevie had some "secret pact" agreeing on time frames that weren't true, that would indeed be bizarre.
It's not that I care so much - it's just why the obvious lie? I mean, how strange that they were adamant for 30 + years about not getting together until Fritz broke up and they moved to LA. Then, suddenly this year, Stevie is spilling the beans on them living together in '69 in a little house in Los Gatos, with the bed on the floor. There's a reason (and I don't think it had anything to do with the members of Fritz other than asking them to keep it on the downlow maybe) but I doubt we'll ever know what it is. The truth must have been perceived to ruin part of the "voyeuristic allure" that Rumours fueled, is my guess... "THANK YOU WARNER BROTHERS!" LOL.

Hmmm....maybe that's part of the "discreet" stuff Ms. Nicks alluded to...

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-09-2009 at 06:55 AM..
Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey and Stevie were both young, single people. If they became romantically involved while they were still with Fritz, why did they lie about it for 30 years? What motive did they have? Other than Fritz, who would have cared?
Maybe they never let their parents know they were living together at the time (1969), & then later they didn't want to reveal this to the various moms & dads because it would have made them appear untrustworthy or something. "Dad, Lindsey & I lied to you about when we actually lived together." On a separate but slightly related note, I don't think the very conservative Nickses & Buckinghams would have cared to hear about abortions & drug use in the old days, either, which might explain why stories about those activities have been so vague & sometimes contradictory in the past. Even when you're rich & famous & middle-aged, to some extent you're still daddy's little girl or mommy's little boy -- all the more so in tightly knit families like those. I smoked a hash pipe once in college. That was a long time ago, but I have no reason to tell my parents, nor would I care to, even though it wouldn't be a big deal.

But now with three of the four parents dead, maybe they figure no one's around to care anymore.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Maybe they never let their parents know they were living together at the time (1969), & then later they didn't want to reveal this to the various moms & dads because it would have made them appear untrustworthy or something. "Dad, Lindsey & I lied to you about when we actually lived together."
I thought the same thing. I think this would be especially true of Stevie...I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that she had wanted to keep that bit of info away from her parents...especially her dad.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Maybe they never let their parents know they were living together at the time (1969), & then later they didn't want to reveal this to the various moms & dads because it would have made them appear untrustworthy or something. "Dad, Lindsey & I lied to you about when we actually lived together." On a separate but slightly related note, I don't think the very conservative Nickses & Buckinghams would have cared to hear about abortions & drug use in the old days, either, which might explain why stories about those activities have been so vague & sometimes contradictory in the past. Even when you're rich & famous & middle-aged, to some extent you're still daddy's little girl or mommy's little boy -- all the more so in tightly knit families like those. I smoked a hash pipe once in college. That was a long time ago, but I have no reason to tell my parents, nor would I care to, even though it wouldn't be a big deal.

But now with three of the four parents dead, maybe they figure no one's around to care anymore.

Stevie did mention that her parents weren't happy that she and Lindsey were living together. She said it was bad enough that she was moving to Los Angeles, but to go there and live with a guy . . . they thought it was tantamount to joining the circus.

Then, she later said that to them, it was as if Lindsey and she were married, indicating that they got used to it.

She also said something about Lindsey never having lived away from his parents when they first moved in together. This suggested to me that she did have an apartment of her own with a roommate or something and that Lindsey had never been on his own.

Actually, it's strange because she talks about going and sleeping in his parents' living room when he had mono and also going to spend the night with him at the coffee plant. You know if 2 kids that age are around each other in the wee hours of the night that they're doing more than music, so it's hard for me to imagine their parents being that appalled by the fact that they were romantically involved. But maybe they were telling their parents that they were "just friends" and that's how they got permission to hang out with each other like they did.

In much the same way that Jack Tripper told Mr. Furley that he was gay, because that's the only way that he would let him share an apartment with two attractive girls!

Now that I think about it, it's been since Stevie's father has died that she is suggesting that they got together earlier, so maybe that had something to do with it. 'Tis strange.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-09-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
The truth must have been perceived to ruin part of the "voyeuristic allure" that Rumours fueled, is my guess... "THANK YOU WARNER BROTHERS!" LOL.

Hmmm....maybe that's part of the "discreet" stuff Ms. Nicks alluded to...
I know that after they hit it big Sonny and Cher said they were married and it wasn't until years later that they revealed they hadn't been. They said they wanted to marry, but Sonny's divorce from his first wife Donna was not final, so they couldn't. Next thing they knew, they had a hit record and the press was looking at them. So, it was 1965 and their long hair was alienating the conservatives enough. They didn't want to compound the problem by revealing that they were living together out of wedlock (and had been since she was 16 and he was 27).

So, they waited until after their star had fallen and they were no longer in the public eye to slip and get married, when it wouldn't create a stir. In fact, they didn't get married until after Chastity was born in March 1969. So, they perpetuated that lie for P.R. reasons.

Michele
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie did mention that her parents weren't happy that she and Lindsey were living together. She said it was bad enough that she was moving to Los Angeles, but to go there and live with a guy . . . they thought it was tantamount to joining the circus.

Then, she later said that to them, it was as if Lindsey and she were married, indicating that they got used to it.
Exactly...so, if the parents had a hard time adjusting to the actual deed, what would the time frame matter?

Quote:
Actually, it's strange because she talks about going and sleeping in his parents' living room when he had mono and also going to spend the night with him at the coffee plant. You know if 2 kids that age are around each other in the wee hours of the night that they're doing more than music, so it's hard for me to imagine their parents being that appalled by the fact that they were romantically involved. But maybe they were telling their parents that they were "just friends" and that's how they got permission to hang out with each other like they did.
I thought of that too initially, but Javier did say in his Q&A that Lindsey's parents accepted Stevie as his "steady".

Quote:
...Now that I think about it, it's been since Stevie's father has died that she is suggesting that they got together earlier, so maybe that had something to do with it. 'Tis strange.

Michele
"I'm sorry Daddy we're living together...but only since 1971!"

Quote:
So, they perpetuated that lie for P.R. reasons.

Michele
Ah, yes, the old perpetuating a lie for PR reasons trick...

How often is that done in the "eyes of the world" (pardon the pun) and the general public remains blissfully unaware? Love the Sonny & Cher example!