The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey was fired. RIP Fleetwood Mac.

starting a clean slate, because it seems that new people keep coming out of the woodwork asking why he "left" every few seconds. some people don't want to accept the sad truth that the band he made huge fashioning its music for the last 43 years betrayed one of their own, a family member.

Lindsey's kids are on the internet very clearly saying - he was fired. and that FM is not FM without him, and how proud of him they are.
his brother is out there too, saying the same.
his wife's IG is sporting #teamlindsey hashtag.

news outlets confirmed that he was fired by the band insiders who don't want their names out there, but want the truth to be known. Rolling Stone and Variety are not gossip rags that put out there some unconfirmed gossip. Billy's leaks pulled the trigger before Fm was ready.

i can't help but wonder what's going on behind the scenes. there is a lot of buzz that Lindsey was fighting it legally, but who knows. not clear whether he's fighting to stay in the band or just suing the pants out of them. i understand all my friends who are FM fans first and are sad that the band's longest and most successful incarnation is dead (and properly moved to post-rumours forum here), and want him back. ii did sign and amplified all the various petitions from people wanting him back. but i can't help thinking how betrayed he must feel by the people he considered family, and that he probably doesn't want to see them for a while now. as far as the band members, Stevie, i'm just sad for. she must be a very unhappy person. but mostly i'm disgusted with Mick. and his cold statement cements it and is lower than low.

from all the backlash, maybe their tour will bomb badly. wouldn't that be karmic considering that they fired him because of money, ie pretty rational calculation that FM minus Lindsey would make more money than FM minus Stevie? most general social media comments are laughing at the complete craziness and yet another post-success chimera version of the band. i think with this move they made sure there will be movies made about FM.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
starting a clean slate, because it seems that new people keep coming out of the woodwork asking why he "left" every few seconds. some people don't want to accept the sad truth that the band he made huge fashioning its music for the last 43 years betrayed one of their own, a family member.

Lindsey's kids are on the internet very clearly saying - he was fired. and that FM is not FM without him, and how proud of him they are.

news outlets confirmed that he was fired by the band insiders who don't want their names out there, but want the truth to be known. Rolling Stone and Variety are not gossip rags that put out there some unconfirmed gossip. Billy's leaks pulled the trigger before Fm was ready.

i can't help but wonder what's going on behind the scenes. there is a lot of buzz that Lindsey was fighting it legally, but who knows. not clear whether he's fighting to stay in the band or just suing the pants out of them. i understand all my friends who are FM fans first and are sad that the band's longest and most successful incarnation is dead (and properly moved to post-rumours forum here), and want him back. ii did sign and amplified all the various petitions from people wanting him back. but i can't help thinking how betrayed he must feel by the people he considered family, and that he probably doesn't want to see them for a while now. as far as the band members, Stevie, i'm just sad for. she must be a very unhappy person. but mostly i'm disgusted with Mick. and his cold statement cements it and is lower than low.

from all the backlash, maybe their tour will bomb badly. wouldn't that be karmic considering that they fired him because of money, ie pretty rational calculation that FM minus Lindsey would make more money than FM minus Stevie? most general social media comments are laughing at the complete craziness and yet another post-success chimera version of the band. i think with this move they made sure there will be movies made about FM.
I'm still so surprised by this. I had no idea it was this bad behind the scenes. It really doesn't make sense, I mean, didn't they have plenty of time recently to do their own thing? If they can't stand each other why commit to a tour in the first place? Mick's statement is one of the most cold things I've read in a while. It also supremely contradicts what he's said in the past.

I'm very upset they're treating Lindsey this way. Danny...then Bob....now Lindsey. I doubt I can ever look at Mick the same way again. This jumps the shark.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP Fleetwood Mac indeed.

This is the craziest, most idiotic move of this band's crazy and idiotic career.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Registered

Such are my feelings towards this "band" [sic] now that I do really hope Buckingham sues the heck out of them. And he will have a far better claim than Bob Welch ever did.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac has survived for 51 years, don't reckon Lindsey going will be the end. The music will live on, the crowds will still flock to see them, the money will roll in. Albums might not sell but then even with Lindsey they weren't going to sell many.

We don't know why, it will come out in the end but hell the facts are still muddied about the Weston sacking and I wasn't even born then

I don't get too caught up in the personalities, just hope we get some new music, and a new album.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It is proper to start this thread because it highlights two key facts:

1. Lindsey was fired. We don't know why or on what grounds, but that is appears to be the case and needs to be reiterated and deserves all the informed conjecture Ledgies can throw at it.
2. Fleetwood Mac is over. It was great while it lasted.

As for the legal aspect, that's interesting. When Hooky was booted from New Order they had to square things with him legally and financially on complex levels because he is a co-founder of the band and (I think?) all members have songwriting credits on all songs. I'm not an expert, I should look into what deal they ultimately made with him to control the New Order name, release new music, tour, and play New Order songs he co-wrote.

I wonder what grounds Lindsey would have IF the band did agree to a certain tour schedule.

I hope he gets as much as possible.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

word on the street has it that Lindsey refused to make any setlist changes and is/was very rigid. Mick, Stevie and Chris wanted to make significant setlist changes. Face it....as much as Lindsey contributed to the band, he was NOT the entire history of Fleetwood Mac and he was becoming bored with the Mac in recent years...
Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhry View Post
word on the street has it that Lindsey refused to make any setlist changes and is/was very rigid. Mick, Stevie and Chris wanted to make significant setlist changes. Face it....as much as Lindsey contributed to the band, he was NOT the entire history of Fleetwood Mac and he was becoming bored with the Mac in recent years...
The set was stagnant and the arrangements have been fairly set in stone since The Dance or SYW tours. But I just can’t see firing Lindsey because he didn’t want to play Oh Well or some of the older stuff. I certainly hope they wouldn’t want Lindsey or anyone to sing any Bob Welch era stuff after the way the treated him. And does he really care if Stevie wants to drop Rhiannon for Straight Back? Maybe he does...in which case this is what we all knew, a group of old fart children.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Curious if it's known on the streets, why would he not want to change up the setlist? If he was bored, wouldn't he want some artistic changes that would make the tour interesting?

As much as I try, in my own little removed world from the inner workings of FM, I am having a really hard time making sense of this entire debacle.

They all had to have known, this late in their careers, that firing a key member would essentially make a joke out of their LAST F@#*&%G tour!!!! I get sooooo angry just saying that.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always got the impression that Lindsey wanted to change the setlist around and the other's restricted him. Maybe it was the other way round.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

I think it's very smart tactics of Lindsey to keep quiet and let his kids and family speak for him. He knows more than anyone else how chaotic the management of the band is and probably expected they would not be able to come out with a coherent response any time soon--which is exactly what has happened.

It took Fleetwood Mac almost a week after Burnette and the TP photographer went on social media to announce this. I saw threads on Twitter mocking them because the rumour had already been spreading for months in some FM groups. By the time the formal announcement was made the firestorm had already erupted. Their clueless press releases fanned the flames even further.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered

It's like the current controversy with Facebook--Zuckerberg did not say anything for days and weeks into the scandal, which made the situation much worse than it would have been had he come out with a statement and interview a day or 2 after the news came out.

Then again, given Mick Fleetwood, an interview with him would only make the band look even more preposterous than they already are.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

truly, I've never seen anything like this, not even the drama after Tango.

I feel like it wasn't Lindsey it was the FANS that just got bitch slapped by Mick.

The 'people come and go' thing may have worked in '87 but after that so famously tanked it was obvious who came back to save the day hence.

Stunned and admittedly angry it came to this.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's the least believable theory I've yet heard.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
That's the least believable theory I've yet heard.
Right? If LB was bored a different song would help. No way.