User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I think what he said to his daughter was pretty rough but I also think that all parents make massive mistakes. That tape never should have made it to the public- it's absolutely none of our business.
I mean could you imagine going through a divorce and having to schedule specific times via a court Order to speak to your daughter because your wife makes her unavailable. Then, during those times, the wife (which clearly is the case here unless Ireland hates her father, which there is no evidence of) makes her unavailable even during those times. That stress would madden the best of us. Of course, his anger was misdirected because an 11 year old cannot really be responsible for her actions. But, when I did divorce law, my experience was the parents use kids as a tool to hurt each other and/or as a financial means all the time. It truly is sickening.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right? She's 11...and the kid of very very rich people. AND in the middle of a custody battle with two ****ed up parents...and she's 11...evil age, 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
well as far as i can tell, all the girl did was fail to answer her phone - if other things were going on between alec & kim, he shouldn't have taken them out on the daughter. the name calling is just way over the top - that is so damaging to a kid.

i think that whoever leaked it, tho, is scum.
I guess from what I gathered he'd set up a time to call and talk to her. And he'd done that repeatedly in the past, and has again and again been blown off in the same fashion. I mean if I set up a time to call and talk with someone and their phone is off...I'd be pissed. If it was a kid and if this happened repeatedly and if you feel that the other parent is doing their darndest to alienate you - it's going to boil over. So I guess I can just sort of see where Baldwin is coming from in all this.

Have I mentioned how much I hate myself for even putting this much thought into the whole thing?

But you're right about the name calling, that will probably stay with her forever...and someone else above is right, the one who really loses in all this is the kid (even though she's an evil 11 )
Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
. . . I guess from what I gathered he'd set up a time to call and talk to her. And he'd done that repeatedly in the past, and has again and again been blown off in the same fashion. I mean if I set up a time to call and talk with someone and their phone is off...I'd be pissed. If it was a kid and if this happened repeatedly and if you feel that the other parent is doing their darndest to alienate you - it's going to boil over. So I guess I can just sort of see where Baldwin is coming from in all this . . . .
I'd bet a billion dollars Kim's lawyer and she purposefully did not make Ireland available more than once hoping to trigger Alec Baldwin into something like this. Now, he's lost custody and she may have to pay some fine, which will be nothing to her.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

the "little pig" part was bad...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Her too

I agree, Bassigner is a fukcing Cee Uou Next Tuesday for doing this. Clearly, she used her kid to trap Baldwin and then she leaked it to the press. I know people who knew them when they lived together in NYC and they said the paramedics had to be called often because they would beat the hell out of each other - nice

I agree, it sounds like a trap but a father that speaks like that to a 11 years old is far worse, IMO.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

i thought it was pretty mean when i read the transcript.

when i heard it, i almost died.

there is a big difference. and as someone who has heard that tone and those kinds of words on an answering machine message from my father, i can tell you, that poor child will not ever, ever forget it. the ugliness, the meanness, the hatred, the selfishness. it made my stomach turn.

i think it's disgusting that bassigner and/or her lawyer leaked it. the child will also suffer the effects of that kind of animosity between two parents.

i don't care how much a brat she may or may not be (clearly, she has had no example on how to behave from her parents). she is the child. they are the adults (or supposed to be). i hope there are some smart aunts or uncles or grandparents in her life who will teach her and guide her towards the counselling she will no doubt need at some point.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I first heard this, I thought he was talking to a publicist or whatever and then when I found out he was talking to his DAUGHTER like that........ No words could describe it.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark View Post
i thought it was pretty mean when i read the transcript.

when i heard it, i almost died.

there is a big difference. and as someone who has heard that tone and those kinds of words on an answering machine message from my father, i can tell you, that poor child will not ever, ever forget it. the ugliness, the meanness, the hatred, the selfishness. it made my stomach turn.

i think it's disgusting that bassigner and/or her lawyer leaked it. the child will also suffer the effects of that kind of animosity between two parents.

i don't care how much a brat she may or may not be (clearly, she has had no example on how to behave from her parents). she is the child. they are the adults (or supposed to be). i hope there are some smart aunts or uncles or grandparents in her life who will teach her and guide her towards the counselling she will no doubt need at some point.
yeah, i just heard it this evening. ridiculous and pathetic.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
yeah, i just heard it this evening. ridiculous and pathetic.
Oh...you hadn't heard it earlier?

So I was thinking about this today. And I've decided that my feeling that it's not that bad is yet another indication that I should never...ever have children!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come on, none of your parents ever yelled at you or called you a name when you were little? I'm guessing some of you would **** if I told you I used to get spanked with a fly swatter...the wire end, sometimes.

Yes, it was assholish for him to do that, but he was probably goaded into it so Basinger could leak the conversation to the media, which is assholish, too.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Come on, none of your parents ever yelled at you or called you a name when you were little? I'm guessing some of you would **** if I told you I used to get spanked with a fly swatter...the wire end, sometimes.

Yes, it was assholish for him to do that, but he was probably goaded into it so Basinger could leak the conversation to the media, which is assholish, too.
my parents called me plenty of **** and i got smacked around too and worse. doesn't mean i don't think anything of it when i see it happen to other people.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
Oh...you hadn't heard it earlier?

So I was thinking about this today. And I've decided that my feeling that it's not that bad is yet another indication that I should never...ever have children!
no, i just read it. i didn't hear it until a few hours ago.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My parents never, ever spoke to me like this. Or to each other. In fact, I never heard either of them talk like this to another human being. Let alone a child. They made other mistakes, and certainly my father did some mighty damaging things to his kids, but not this kind of verbal attack.

Sure parents get pissed at their kids, but this is pretty harsh. It is an ugly situation in every way. Both those people have horrific reputations (though I will say I have worked with Alec and he was a total pro in that instance). Divorce is almost always awful for kids. Some of us may have been through worse, but this still is not good for a child to hear. Obviously it is a drop in the bucket compared to the **** storm she lives in. If either side has decent grand parents she'd probably be better off with them.

Anyone who calls their kid a pig, says they are worthless, or berates them in a similar manner ought to have their friggin tongue cut out, IMO. Kids are resilient, but that doesn't mean they don't scar.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.

Last edited by sparky; 04-22-2007 at 12:43 AM..
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
so are you saying that you think it's normal, like, no big deal, if parents call their kids names and abuse them mentally and verbally? do you think, if that IS what you believe, you have that attitude because that was normal in your world?

it was normal in my world, too. but i learned, thankfully, that it is NOT normal in most kids' worlds, and nor should it be. yes, parents yell at kids every so often. but when it is constant, the norm, or includes abusive name calling, it is NOT normal. we don't call our friends and colleagues names and yell and scream at them. why is it okay to do to our kids?

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Having had a kind of an abusive asshole for a father I can empathize with the girl..I wouldn't have wanted to take his calls either.