Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dennis Wilson Biopic

Aaron Echart just signed on to play Dennis Wilson in The Drummer, which will cover the last six years of Wilson's life.

I think it's safe to assume the movie will include his relationship with our Christine.

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?
And once again, we may turn to the question: who's fit to play Chris?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cate Blanchett?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
Aaron Echart just signed on to play Dennis Wilson in The Drummer, which will cover the last six years of Wilson's life.

I think it's safe to assume the movie will include his relationship with our Christine.

Thoughts? Feelings? Opinions?
And once again, we may turn to the question: who's fit to play Chris?
Ugh... Aaron Eckhart? Really? He plays the same character in every movie. Unless Dennis Wilson was a sarcastic, snarky, smooth-talking a-hole, I don't see how this casting will work. Isn't Joaquin Phoenix available for this?? Josh Brolin??

Indeed, Christine has to be featured at some point in this movie... although I wonder how they will be able to write this part of ths screenplay without Christine's direct participation. Even though Christine was only in her mid-late 30s at the time, she definitely seemed to come across much more mature or regal, even. And though she had an undeniable physical appeal, she had a bit of a... "funny face," which is pretty much non-existent in the current crop of younger Hollywood actresses; you would never find a young Meryl Streep, Barbra Streisand or Bette Midler in Hollywood today, which is a shame. That being said, given her chameleon-like quality, I think Charlize Theron (with some prosthetics) could probably do Christine well. She seems to have the kind of gravitas needed for this sort of role.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
you would never find a young Meryl Streep, Barbra Streisand or Bette Midler in Hollywood today, which is a shame.
Funny you should say this because I was just thinking Friday that Jennifer Ehle had the look of a young Meryl Streep. Now, I didn't get to see her flex her acting chops that much in Ides, but I thought she had that slightly off-center look.

Michele
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Cate Blanchett?
Quote:
Charlize Theron
Both are so monstrous. Dear God, No. (I actually think they are probably the two worst actresses in movies today.)

Besides, I believe that Christine contains within her the soul of England. Therefore, I think she should be played by an English actress.

I've been saying Sally Hawkins since BEFORE Happy-Go-Lucky (I loved her in All or Nothing and Vera Drake!). Plus she reminds me of Katrin Cartlidge, who really would have been my choice had she not passed untimely, so it would be almost like she's playing both Katrin and Christine (a la Eddie Izzard playing Charlie Chaplin, but signifying Orson Welles in Cat's Meow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Ugh... Aaron Eckhart? Really? He plays the same character in every movie. Unless Dennis Wilson was a sarcastic, snarky, smooth-talking a-hole, I don't see how this casting will work. Isn't Joaquin Phoenix available for this?? Josh Brolin??
Your point is valid about Aaron, until one considers that he recently gave his greatest ever performance, in Battle: Los Angeles. He's everything he's usually not. So soulful, moving, patriotic, humane, hunky. I cried buckets.

Meanwhile, Josh Brolin's inflated ego deflates every role.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-17-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
She is so monstrous. Dear God, No.

Besides, I believe that Christine contains within her the soul of England. Therefore, I think she should be played by an English actress.
Oops, I thought Cate Blanchett was English - the only movie I've ever seen that she was in was the one where she played Queen Elizabeth.

She just physically kind of reminds me of Chris for some reason, idk idk.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Funny you should say this because I was just thinking Friday that Jennifer Ehle had the look of a young Meryl Streep. Now, I didn't get to see her flex her acting chops that much in Ides, but I thought she had that slightly off-center look.

Michele
Indeed she does. I was just watching Independence Road, and was startled by her Streepishness. But I wouldn't classify Ehle among the pretty ingenues to which Ed refers.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Oops, I thought Cate Blanchett was English - the only movie I've ever seen that she was in was the one where she played Queen Elizabeth.

She just physically kind of reminds me of Chris for some reason, idk idk.
I adore Cate Blanchett, and she certainly plays English well. I'm with you, WildHearted--I think Cate is the best casting we could hope for.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
Wow, she really does look like Meryl, albeit, a less idiosyncratic version of her; she still has a decidedly mainstream beauty aesthetic about her.

You know it's a sad state of affairs when Jennifer Aniston is cast as the frumpy-looking ex-wife a la "Just Go with It." Call me old school, but I don't think really attractive people (in the conventional sense) can pull off comedy acting.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
I adore Cate Blanchett, and she certainly plays English well. I'm with you, WildHearted--I think Cate is the best casting we could hope for.
I like her too.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what Christine's thoughts are on this ?
It would be really interesting to see her portrayed by an actress, I can't see any really famous Hollywood woman doing it, I would love it if they found some undiscovered British girl with the same dry wit as Chris.

I adored Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line but based on appearance I think they made a decent choice in casting Aaron Eckhart. I'm so intrigued to see this film.

I realize it's a new project but does anyone have any ideas on release dates ?

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I dunno, I kind of like the Aaron Eckhart casting...

...Cate WOULD make a good "Christine McVie", as well...

just too bad that they're on that era because the BEST Christine from The Dance to now is definitely...

Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

McVie and Mirren could be sisters !

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccamorrisfift View Post
McVie and Mirren could be sisters !
They'd have to be either twins or half-sisters...they're pretty close to the same age.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cate's too bony and slim. Whoever plays Christine has to be tall, long, but also a bit harder-featured. And she must be able to do that voice!