Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ? About Lindsey on new Tom Petty album

I know this has already been discussed, but how many songs does Lindsey appear on for "The Last DJ" TP & the HB's new album? I know it goes on sale on Tuesday. Is anyone planning on getting it then? If so, please post your thoughts about the songs.

Also a Tom Petty question, for those of you who may know - What happened to Howie Epstein? I know they brought Ron Blair back so I was just wondering if there was some kind of fight or something.

Anyway they were on Letterman tonight and sang "The Last DJ" which sounded pretty good, and will be on Conan on Tuesday (8th) night for anyone that didn't know and wants to see them.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 10-08-2002, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey is just on one song.

Howie Epstein (and girlfriend/wife/whatever Carlene Carter...Johnny Cash's stepdaughter) got popped for heroin possession somewhere in Texas about two years ago, but with appeals, bail, and an agreement to go through rehab, he stayed free for about a year or so, but, now he's "paying his debt to society". I think he "surrendered to authorities" a few days or weeks after the Heartbreakers' HoF induction. There was a statement on the TP&H official website a few months ago. I guess Ron is just filling in for Howie until he gets out of jail (which I think is about a 5-10 year sentence). One of Howie's last gigs, if not THE last gig (not counting the R&RHoF jam), with the Heartbreakers was the "Tribute To Heroes" telethon Sept 2001.

I remember seeing TP&H on SNL a few years ago (when Tom's "Wildflowers" album just had come out), Howie was playing a Turner Model 1 BASS!!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:55 AM

Rolling Stone says The Man Who Loved Women has a ukelele in the mix. Makes me wonder if Lindsey had anything to do with that. I'm also dying to figure out what the song is really about.

Anyhoo, not getting the record today. Already blew my CD budget for the month.

Anyone who gets it, please post your thoughts.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, now, IF that's Lindsey on uke, then that doesn't exactly makeup for the "Here Comes The Sun" debacle last New Year's Eve, but goes a long way...George Harrison LOVED ukeleles!!!

Old 10-08-2002, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Ahemmmm!!!

Ouchy!!!! You guys feel better now?Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 10-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not understanding where you're coming from with that reply, Char.

Nothing wrong with a ukelele...wish my fingers were smaller so I could be a bit more adept at playing one, myself. They have such a unique sound...and we all know how Lindsey is at picking the right "sound" for certain parts. Whether it be a guitar in Nashville tuning, open tuning, standard tuning, a mandolin, a banjo or a uke, he always seems to find the right sound for the right part. (face it, he screwed up with "Here Comes The Sun"...one bad idea in 53 years...well, that and..oh never mind)
Old 10-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I didn't know that about Howie. Heroin huh, pretty hard core. Too bad. Not surprising though, he looked like he had been through the ringer.

I'm excited to hear the uke, if indeed Lindsey does play it in the song. I'm excited to hear the song anyway and the rest of the album.

Chili - Why didn't you like Lindsey's version of "Here Comes the Sun?" I personally didn't like it much at all when I first heard it, but now I really like it. The only part I don't like about it is when Lindsey shouts/sings "suuun, suuuun" at the end. If that wasn't in there, I would like it even more.

- LB
Old 10-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey doesn't play the uke....but who knows if he had anything to do with it being there?? He sings backup at the end of the one song - "The Man Who Loves Women."

It's kind of a light-hearted, cutesy song about, I think, this fictional character in the songs who is "loving women" to excess. ;-) Musically, it sort of makes me think of something Paul McCartney might have done.

The Man Who Loves Women

He's the man who loves women
women, women, women
and fallin' in love every day

When he sees a senorita
It's a sure thing that he'll heed her
Fallin' in love every day

But in the mornin'
When she wakes up
He'll be far away
Keepin' his secret safe
Hey, hey, hey

He's quite prepared to mingle
Comes on like he's single
and falling in love's just his way
One of these days he's gonna pay for falling in love every day

Oh stay away

It has sort of circus-like feel at the end where Lindsey sings. He sings the last two lines several times - "Oh stay away, he's the man who loves women." Haven't had a chance to listen to the rest yet.

Last edited by Les; 10-08-2002 at 08:05 PM..
Old 10-08-2002, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Lindsey doesn't play the uke....but who knows if he had anything to do with it being there?? He sings backup at the end of the one song - "The Man Who Loves Women."
Correction: Lindsey plays the ukelele on Save Me a Place. There may be another song or two, but I forget. The reason I raised the question is because of his use of the uke in Tusk. If I am not mistaken, a ukelele also was used during the Out of the Cradle Tour for Save Me a Place.

At ease.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I think he did play it on his Cradle tour. I really liked the Save Me A Place that his band did. Actually, I was pretty thrilled he dusted that off for his tour. I just meant that he doesn't actually play it on the Tom P song.

BTW, Tom mentions Jim Ladd's "inspiration and courage" in the liner notes. Perhaps the last DJ he had in mind.

P.S. - TP and Mike Campbell are credited as playing bass on most of the tracks until "late arrival" Ron Blair appeared for two songs: Lost Children & Can't Stop the Sun. Familiar name - Lenny Castro - credited with percussion throughout.

Last edited by Les; 10-08-2002 at 08:02 PM..
Old 10-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
BTW, Tom mentions Jim Ladd's "inspiration and courage" in the liner notes. Perhaps the last DJ he had in mind.

Pardon my ignorance, but did something happen to Jim Ladd? Or is he just referring to Jim Ladd as a DJ he respects as opposed to the ones he doesn't respect today?

- LB
Old 10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by AliP
Or is he just referring to Jim Ladd as a DJ he respects as opposed to the ones he doesn't respect today?
I think your latter idea is the way he means it: Jim as an identifiable personality unto himself who audiences connected with, and one of those "last DJs who played what he wanted to play" before the corporations moved in and began programming most all of the pop/rock stations to play a narrow setlist with no deviations.

I think Jim still does his syndicated interview show...but I'm not sure if he still DJs in the traditional sense.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I just meant that he doesn't ctually play it on the Tom P song.
Oh, I see. Well, that'll teach me to be such a know-it-all.

Les, sounds like you got the Petty record. Tell us about it. We are eager to learn more.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Jim Ladd is still DJ'ing "in the traditional sense" . 95.5 KLOS-FM Los Angeles 10pm-2am weeknights. A couple of weeks ago on my way home from a gig, he played in a row:

Johnny Cash-Folsom Prison Blues
Led Zeppelin-Gallows Pole
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited
Rolling Stones-Dead Flowers

Let's see some "Format" station try to pull THAT off without having it's DJ canned in 10 minutes.

And, in the words of Jim Ladd...

LORD, HAVE MERCY!!
Old 10-09-2002, 08:08 AM

Message from CarneVaca's legal team (same lawyers representing the labels against online file-sharing companies):

ChiliD, in regards to your use of the following:

LORD, HAVE MERCY!!

We ask you to cease and desist from the use of said signature line inasmuch as it is a thinly disguised plagiarism and direct trademark infringement on our client's own trademark-protected signature, RESCIND THE STRIKE!!! The use of bold capital letters in a pithy, extremely clever and provocative phrase, followed by multiple exclamation points, is a direct violation of Trademark 02-5003 under the U.S. Trademark Law, Act 56-00328, Section A-05.2, Paragraph V, Footnote 0.

We hope this communication will prove sufficient to address this matter. Failure to comply will result in a complaint filed with the Trademark Court, 68 Albatross Lane, Penguin Heights.

Furthermore, our client says...

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!

Last edited by CarneVaca; 10-09-2002 at 08:10 AM..