Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: u know i just got finished talking to a guy here at work

Quote:
Originally posted by tyshiria

well sorry barbra but if you've been through what I'VE been through on these boards where you just have to keep repeating yourself over and over again, you might understand. actually, i basically just said this in one of my earlier posts, so i guess there's just no WAY of getting around this!!! anyhoo, if you're annoyed by it then, oops my bad, but i had to repeat myself again anyway.

oh and thanks for the info on lindsey's albums. i didn't know that at all!

mimi
Hi Ty -
Sorry to have been so clueless about your past posting history since it's so extensive I haven't had time to check it out. As for Lindsey's albums, I think with a little more first hand knowledge of the subject there might be less chance of being misunderstood.

And, at the risk of repeating Jeffles and Sulamith, while everybody's bored, restless and just waiting for new music, now might be a good time to catch up on some reading in the Blue Letter Archives and digging for some songs/interviews/performances, etc. we haven't heard.

I, for one, am exhausted with the S&L contests.

Barbara
Old 08-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking no prob barbra

yeah i read that and i'm gonna check the archives right now.....well actually after i finish eating lunch. thanks.

mimi
Old 08-21-2002, 01:21 PM

"Is there anyone else aware that the great Peter Green made an uncredited appearence on Tusk?"

Yes. For more on that, make sure you read the next episode of Tusk: The Story Behind the Story in the Rumours board.

"Has anyone heard Camper Van Beethoven's version of Tusk? They redid the entire album. I haven't heard it yet, but I have heard their music and its very good."

I bought it as soon as it was released. There are plenty of rather irreverent renditions of the songs. Some zany takes on songs like Sisters of the Moon, Honey Hi and Angel. This album is not for the faint-hearted. It is nothing like the Rumours tribute, but if you know Camper Van, you probably have a pretty good idea of what to expect. My favorites include their takes on Storms and Save Me a Place.

Interestingly, and not to perpetuate this Stevie vs. Lindsey debate, but David Lowery, lead singer of Camper Van Beethoven and Cracker, said that when Camper started recording their version of Tusk in 1987, no one wanted to sing Stevie's songs. But they all loved Lindsey! The recordings were then shelved for years and forgotten about. But someone related to the band came across them a couple of years ago, and the members of the then-disbanded Camper decided to finish the project. Incidentally, Camper has done a bunch of shows recently, and I understand they have been playing the song "Tusk. When I saw Cracker in March, the Camper guys were there and they shared the stage with Cracker on a bunch of songs. It was very cool.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Anyone who doesn't like Tusk is a...

well, entitled to not like it.
LOL. I'm really enjoying all the new ways you find narrowly avoid consideration for a "strike". I honestly can't remember which comedian said it, but it works so well: "I try to find the boundary of good taste...and cross it as often as possible." I think some others...others...others...should take a lesson in craftiness from you.

And a quick word to Tyshiria - (in all honesty) please do try to keep from comments like "your mother". I would really hate to see this thread close with actual intelligent conversation going on like in the other thread that closed. There was come great stuff in there and, well, I'd like to keep reading new posts on this one.
-Brian
Old 08-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's interesting about Peter Green. Where did you find that out?

Also, I could see why a bunch of guys wouldn't want to sing Stevie's very soft and feminine songs. Even though Lindsey's songs on tusk are very quriky, they are very masculine, so I can understand that.

Do they do the faking an orgasm thing when they do Not That Funny?
Old 08-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
And a quick word to Tyshiria - (in all honesty) please do try to keep from comments like "your mother". I would really hate to see this thread close with actual intelligent conversation going on like in the other thread that closed. There was come great stuff in there and, well, I'd like to keep reading new posts on this one.
-Brian
well that was a joke. and since jeffles (sp?) hasn't said anything to me about it, i figured he understood. ok? so.......that's that.

mimi
Old 08-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking This and that

Wasn't the appearance by Peter Green on Brown Eyes just a few notes or something really minimal?

AND, I ordered Camper Van Beethoven's Tusk - twice I've gotten defective disk #2's - they had no music on them, so I'm still waiting to hear half the tracks.

Sisters of the Moon (on disk #1) is so funny I could hardly pay attention for laughing. These guys really have a good time - their take on Tusk is not for the serious or supersensitive. I'll bet Lindsey got a huge kick out of it . . .maybe I'll ask if somebody shows up in another Q&A session that would know.

Barbara
Old 08-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
When I first heard 'Tusk,' I had a hard time digesting it.
I know what you mean. Tusk was one of the last Fleetwood Mac albums I bought, simply because I had a hard time finding it on CD in this country and ended up buying at some US airport whilst on my travels. The first time I listened to it, I just sat there with my mouth open because it didn't sound like the Fleetwood Mac I'd become used to. It's not so much that I didn't like it, because I like a lot of diverse music... some of it would probably make your ears bleed. I had to give it another chance and listen to the music alone, outside of it being a Fleetwood Mac album. Maybe that was another factor in the whole sales thing, even though the sales figures weren't bad at all... music is often bought because people hear about it through word of mouth or through music journalists in magazines etc. If these people weren't giving it a second chance, they may well have said, "well, it sucks... don't buy it." Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album, BTW.

Laura.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Greeny did the guitar diddy at the end of Brown Eyes

Matt
Old 08-21-2002, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Music Education!!!!

Hey Ty, I suggest you go to Fleetwood Mac's archive and
dig...to get some education on WHY... TUSK was different!
Fleetwood Mac guitarist ...Lindsey BucKINGham says..."It is
still my favorite album!" His non-commercial New Wave try!
Every great musician I know wants to move... Ahead!!! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey

Last edited by Skylark; 08-21-2002 at 05:02 PM..
Old 08-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Street_Dreamer
Greeny did the guitar diddy at the end of Brown Eyes
...which he unfortunately appears to have no memory of. Well, I don't know if it's really unfortunate or not, but I couldn't think of a better word.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:33 PM

Default hey

Sulasmith, there is no fake orgasm in Camper's Not That Funny. However, they add some lyrics to the song, something like: "Here comes a dogfish, chased by a catfish." It's really wacky. You should definitely get it, though be warned that is irreverent and if you take the band too seriously, as some folks around here seem to, you might not appreciate it. However, as any Lindsey fan worth his/her salt would, you'll probably like it.

Barbara, wait till you hear the version of Honey Hi. I won't give it away, but the first time I heard it, I was in my car. Let's just say it freaked me out.

And by the way, since I am a generous guy, I thought I'd share this with you all: Everyone is entitled to my opinion. And don't forget, indifference is a more effective weapon. (Not sure those two thoughts go together, but hey, considering I was coming out of discussing Camper Van, I felt somewhat disjointed anyway.)

Peace to you all. My doctor told me to cut back to two posts a day. I may get a second opinion.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

I just order the Camper Tusk CD, looking forward to hearing it...
I didn't take that "mother" comment personally....The Rumours tribute album was quite bad (for the most part). The best song on the album was Matchbox Twenty's (a band that I am not particuraly fond of) version of Never Going Back Again. The worst song was Elton John's wimpy Don't Stop.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey I think I may try to get that Camper thing...
I love wierd, quirky things, otherwise I wouldn't be a Lindsey fan, now would I? !!
Old 08-23-2002, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing that I didn't like about Tusk at first was it's running order. I've NEVER thought that "Over & Over" should've been the opening track...UGH!! It's like listening to a funeral dirge right off the bat...and I'm supposed to like the rest of the album?? I really like "Over & Over", but as the first song of side 1?? huh-uh. no way. It's more of an ender than a starter, I think...kind of like "Why".

I went through about 4 copies of the LP by listening to one song at a time and skipping around instead of playing it straight through. JEEZ was I happy that CDs and the programming capability was invented. Now, other than having the shortened "Sara", I can hear the album the way *I* want to listen to it.

My tracking order of the "single album" version of Tusk:

Honey Hi
Angel
Think About Me
What Makes You Think You're The One
Sara
Save Me A Place
Never Forget
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Brown Eyes
Sisters Of The Moon
Tusk
Over & Over
That's Enough For Me

Sometimes, to vary it a little, because I can, I'll substitute "Storms" or "Beautiful Child" for "Sara", "Walk A Thin Line" for "Save Me A Place", "The Ledge" or, {gulp} "Not That Funny" (which I really don't like the studio version much at all) for "I Know I'm Not Wrong".

Quote:
Wasn't the appearance by Peter Green on Brown Eyes just a few notes or something really minimal?
Not really...he plays some VERY tasty licks right before it starts to fade...a cool thing would be to remix the song so it plays out a little further before it fades...Peter just seems to get going when the fade out occurs. (similar to how Lindsey just seems to start cookin' on the studio version of "I'm So Afraid" just as it fades).

Peter's part on "Brown Eyes" IS significantly smaller than it was on Bob Welch's "Night Watch" on the Penguin album, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
....The Rumours tribute album was quite bad (for the most part). The best song on the album was Matchbox Twenty's (a band that I am not particuraly fond of) version of Never Going Back Again. The worst song was Elton John's wimpy Don't Stop.
I disagree overall...I think it was actually pretty good for the most part. Elton's "Don't Stop" wasn't the worst (but I agree it's bad)...the 2nd worst...Duncan Sheik's "Songbird" was atrocious. Other than those two, Shawn Colvin's "The Chain" & Jewel's "YMLF" were ho-hum, but not bad. However, Tonic's "Second Hand News", The Corrs' "Dreams, The Cranberries' "GYOW", the Goo-Goo Dolls' "I Don't Want To Know", & Sister Hazel's "GDW" (along with Mb20's "NGBA") were really good, I thought (just listened through to it again last night).

I still think Eva Cassidy's version of "Songbird" outdoes Christine's own...and that really IS saying something...they should've put HER version on this album.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-23-2002 at 02:24 AM..