The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:22 PM

Tusk is absolutely my favorite Fleetwood Mac topic, more so than the whole Stevie-Lindsey soap opera.

Once I took my CD, popped into the player and recorded all the Lindsey songs to one side of a 45-minute tape. And wouldn't you know it? Those songs stand up by themselves as a fairly complete album; mind you, not a commercial album by any stretch of the imagination. But the album that is Tusk of course also has some great contributions from the other songwriters. I always dug the folksy approach Lindsey took to a couple of Christine's songs. You've got to wonder if she absolutely hated the idea when he first did it, only to get used to it. Of whether she still hates those songs now.

And the cool thing about Tusk the song is that it became a hit, then a classic, in spite of itself. I would put it up there with other unlikely hit/classics as Sympathy for the Devil and ... well I can't think of any others right now. But do you know what I mean?
Old 08-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: oh no les

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tyshiria
i totally come in peace.

If you truly mean that, then I have nothing but respect Ty. I mean that as well. From the gist of your opening comment and your initial follow-up, I was just a little suspicious. I don't imagine that the last few days have been lots of fun for die-hard Stevie fans in a couple of threads in particular, and the urge to want to counterpunch to continue the argument is pretty great. So I was just hoping to get a few things out on the table to try to head off another meltdown like we've had the last few days.

I take you at your word.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Re: Re: oh no les

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les
Quote:
Originally posted by tyshiria
i totally come in peace.

If you truly mean that, then I have nothing but respect Ty. I mean that as well. From the gist of your opening comment and your initial follow-up, I was just a little suspicious. I don't imagine that the last few days have been lots of fun for die-hard Stevie fans in a couple of threads in particular, and the urge to want to counterpunch to continue the argument is pretty great. So I was just hoping to get a few things out on the table to try to head off another meltdown like we've had the last few days.

I take you at your word.
thanks les. no way man. there's no way i would come here just to start up junk on the linds board by stating how much garbage he is. i wouldn't do that. i know how you guys feel about linds and for me to do that would be totally wrong. i think all the junk being posted back and forth about linds and stevie is utterly ridiculous! and it should BE STOPPED! i'm totally on your side here les ok?

thanks,

mimi
Old 08-20-2002, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
And the cool thing about Tusk the song is that it became a hit, then a classic, in spite of itself.
I feel that way as well. I mean I think it's pretty cool how many fans really rate that as their favorite.

In addition to simply just being dwarfed by the sales of Rumours because it was such a monster seller, the way that Lindsey has been asked to defend his creative decisions on Tusk for a number of years has kind of inadvertently lent credence to the idea that it was this massive flop. He's been eager to do it because it's his favorite, but it deepens this sense that he's being asked to defend something that was hated, when that's really not the case, especially now.

Tusk is my favorite FM album.

I remember John Stewart saying that he thought "Tusk" was a great opening single because it was a good laxative for the radio constipation of the day.

Last edited by Les; 08-20-2002 at 04:45 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could imagine somebody just coming off of "Rumours"; poping in "Tusk" and waiting for another "Go Your Own Way" to come on, and to their surprise comes out "The Ledge." Whooooo, take that!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: u know i just got finished talking to a guy here at work

Quote:
and he was telling me that tusk didn't sell cause the album was too lindsey. his words, not mine. again, his words, not mine. ONE MORE TIME, his words, not mine. . . his words, not mine. again, his words, not mine. ONE MORE TIME, his words, not mine. i personally haven't heard one single lindsey album. one reason, i can't find one single lindsey album.
mimi
Quote:
no david not at all, i was just repeating myself, because for some reason, i NEED to make myself extra clear on these boards. and instead of having to reply to numerous posts saying the same damn thing over and over again, i did it all in ONE shot! so that's y i did it like that. just making myself clear. now, i get the feeling that i i should do a copy and paste on this post, but i'll let it go until i hear anything further. hopefully i won't NEED to.

So . . .Ty -

"Y" do you think repeating the same phrase over and over is clarifying anything? I don't know how it makes others feel, but personally, I find it condescending, insulting and annoying as hell. I "get it" the first time - as I'm sure most of us do. So with all due respect, I'm asking you to please cut it out! If you need to clarify something then clarify - don't just repeat it and waste everybody's time. It's still not about WHAT you say, it's HOW . . .

You said you don't want to pay shipping and handling, but all three of Lindsey's albums are available on CDNow for $10.49 each. You can also probably find a great number of his album songs as MP3s for free download on many of the Lindsey fan sites (yes, he does have some). You might even find a Tusk song you like!

Peace.

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara; 08-20-2002 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 07:18 PM

Anyone who doesn't like Tusk is a...

well, entitled to not like it.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation LMAO!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I remember John Stewart saying that he thought "Tusk" was a great opening single because it was a good laxative for the radio constipation of the day.
LMAO!!! Man, that John Stewart has a way with words, dudn't he? LOL "Radio constipation"!!!! ROTFLMAO!!

Hindsight is 20/20, so I think EVERYONE in FM loves Tusk NOW and realizes how great it REALLY is!! It really was ahead of it's time, IMO. And, best of all, it doesn't sound dated at all!! It's got so many different sounds to it, soft (Beautiful Child, Storms), hard (SOTM), funny (The Ledge's lyrics!! LOL), serious (Sara, Over and Over), sexy (Brown Eyes), sad (Never Make Me Cry), quirky (All of Lindsey's songs)! LOL It's a plethora of sounds!!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I first heard 'Tusk,' I had a hard time digesting it.
Even though I had liked Fleetwood Mac since I was a wee lad, i didn't really make the connection and start buying their albums until 1986/1987, when I was 14/15 years old.

Having a typical 14 year old's rather meager allowance, 'Tusk' was one of the last Mac albums I bought at that time (well, of the 'Rumours' era incarnation), because of its price.

By the time I bought it, I knew the singles... but I had *no* idea that the rest of the album was so... "off-kilter."
And I have to admit it was a little off-putting.

Of course, I quickly took to Christine and Stevie's songs, which were more traditional in their arrangements, etc.... but it took me a long while to find an appreciation for Lindsey's tunes on the album.

And oddly enough, I had his two solo albums by then, and *greatly* preferred the songs on those to his 'Tusk' tunes... despite their very obvious quirkiness.
I guess within the context of Fleetwood Mac, i just didn't get what he was going for, but on a solo album it seemed appropriate.

Nowadays, I enjoy 'Tusk' completely, and listen to it rather often... though I admit that, for the most part I have not listened to the album in its original running order in about 7 years.

(I actually listen to all of the 'Rumours'-era albums in different running orders... which I posted once on the original Ledge boards.
I should do that again for the heck of it.)

Anyway, before I wrap this up... I remember a very cute interview with Stevie once where she talked about how much her dad loved 'Tusk'... especially Lindsey's songs. I guess Mr. Nicks "got it" from the get-go!
She also mentioned that her father has always been a Lindsey fan, which I thought was sweet, given the sometimes acrimonious history between his daughter and Lindsey.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-20-2002 at 08:26 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: u know i just got finished talking to a guy here at work

Quote:
his words, not mine. again, his words, not mine. ONE MORE TIME, his words, not mine. his words, not mine. again, his words, not mine. ONE MORE TIME, his words, not mine. ok bye,

mimi
omg. How annoying was that? how annoying was that? how annoying was that? Bye already !
Old 08-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Re: Re: u know i just got finished talking to a guy here at work

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara

So . . .Ty -

"Y" do you think repeating the same phrase over and over is clarifying anything? I don't know how it makes others feel, but personally, I find it condescending, insulting and annoying as hell. I "get it" the first time - as I'm sure most of us do. So with all due respect, I'm asking you to please cut it out! If you need to clarify something then clarify - don't just repeat it and waste everybody's time. It's still not about WHAT you say, it's HOW . . .

You said you don't want to pay shipping and handling, but all three of Lindsey's albums are available on CDNow for $10.49 each. You can also probably find a great number of his album songs as MP3s for free download on many of the Lindsey fan sites (yes, he does have some). You might even find a Tusk song you like!

Peace.

Barbara [/B]
well sorry barbra but if you've been through what I'VE been through on these boards where you just have to keep repeating yourself over and over again, you might understand. actually, i basically just said this in one of my earlier posts, so i guess there's just no WAY of getting around this!!! anyhoo, if you're annoyed by it then, oops my bad, but i had to repeat myself again anyway.

oh and thanks for the info on lindsey's albums. i didn't know that at all!

mimi
Old 08-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: u know i just got finished talking to a guy here at work

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteWingedOne

omg. How annoying was that? how annoying was that? how annoying was that? Bye already !
ok so you're annoyed BUT, did you understand that they were HIS WORDS AND NOT MINE? just asking. some people here are a little sssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwww!

bye already

mimi
Old 08-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

That was a funny comment by John Stewart and typical of something he'd say.
LB was helping John with his comeback album while working on Tusk. I believe his song "Comin' out of nowhere" (from "Bombs Away Dream Babies album) was about Lindsey. I've always admired their professional relationship.

Is there anyone else aware that the great Peter Green made an uncredited appearence on Tusk? He played the lead guitar on "Brown Eyes".
Has anyone heard Camper Van Beethoven's version of Tusk? They redid the entire album. I haven't heard it yet, but I have heard their music and its very good.
All this drivel about who is better, etc, is old. Its been going on for a while. Lindsey is better at some things, Stevie is better at others. Who would argue that Stevie is a better lyricist and Lindsey is a better arranger? You don't have to be too intelligent to see that...In fact, in a 1994 interview, Stevie Nicks stated that she didn't have Lindsey's musical talent. Lindsey himself has said she is great lyricist.
I think people (especially on the Lindsey board) are just bored that there isn't anything new or fresh to discuss.

By the way, what planet is the individual who wrote, "I come in peace" from?
Old 08-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking rotfflmfao!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffles
By the way, what planet is the individual who wrote, "I come in peace" from?
what planet? same planet as your mother lol! too funny!

mimi
Old 08-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

jeffles, I feel exactly the same way you do about S&L. They are BOTH talented, each in their own way, each has strengths and weaknesses that seem to just smooth out when they groove with each other "like butter" to quote Linda Richman! No, wait, that would be "like buuuuuttah"!

I usually stay away from debates about who is more talented, because there is no way to win an argument like that.

I guess I am one of the the few people who really likes them both equally. I really feel, as it seems Lindsey does too, that Buckingham Nicks would have eventually made it big, though not as big as FM, which I also get the feeling would have been just fine with him. It also seems to me that Rumours was just an albatross around Lindsey's neck for alot of years, and Tusk was his anti-Rumours statement. Rumours was the catapult to the big time, but when they both got there it wasn't like they planned. so what do you do with something that is the symbol of your greatest financial success, and at the same time it is also the symbol of losing someone you love?

Well, you take some sound equipment in your bathroom and beat on a kleenex box and come out with Tusk.

What better therapy?
You're right......we do need some new stuff to talk about!