Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Registered

Default Aerosmith?/ Joan Jett

I wish someone would reveal what's going on with Aerosmith! They played a concert this month in Canada, and have cancelled or postponed their VA show. Why on earth would Steven Tyler want to be a host on that terrible talent show, and why would a television network hire a 60-something to be on weekly series aimed at teens and pre-teens with a cut- off age for contestants? He's trading in Joe Perry for JLo and Ryan Seacrest? Yeah, that's smart, Tyler.
Tyler is a rock singer, a great one, but hardly seems suitable for prime time high-definition television. I think he's insane for wanting to be on the shlock-fest that is "Idol"- I just don't git it, at all!
Joan Jett opened for the band in Canada, bravely- her mother had just passed away. Joan's Mom bought Joan her first electric guitar when she was 13, and Joan dedicated her performance at that night's Aerosmith show she opened to her mother.
Joan's been such a road warrior for decades, she did pave the way for a lot of women to come, and it's pretty crappy she hasn't been nominated for the R&RHOF. Joe Tex? Sounds like Joan Jett, and should have been.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 09-30-2010 at 12:00 AM..
Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...pggbJtl65SVIpN

Aero-miffed
'It's jealousy': ex-band manager

Is Joe Perry, Steven Tyler's Aerosmith bandmate, right, wrong or just plain jealous in saying that if the rock god joins "American Idol" it would be one step above starring in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

According to one who really knows, "This is Steven Tyler's great opportunity to transition to something he's always wanted to be: a Hollywood celebrity! And that's the problem right there." Ouch.

No, that's not Perry savaging Tyler again. This time the tough talker is no less than A&R legend John Kalodner, the guy behind Aerosmith, Foreigner and Bon Jovi for starters.

IDOLMAKER: Steven Tyler landing the judge's job on "Idol" will likely mean the end of his band.

For decades Kalodner worked cheek-by-jowl with Aerosmith, helping them become one of the biggest bands in rock history, but whom he calls, "The ultimate dysfunctional family. Joe is completely wrong. It's jealousy. He's ultra pissed off."

Tyler, Kaldoner told me, always wanted to be more than just a rock god -- "he sought Hollywood recognition, and now he can get that." Too much is never enough for some rock gods. But can he transition into a TV talent judge?

"Simon Cowell was a failed A&R person, a nothing, who is an incredible TV personality. Randy Jackson? The greatest studio musician, but an average A&R guy who became a terrific TV personality. I don't know what will happen because Steven gets his energy from singing in front of 20,000 people. Sitting in a TV studio with scripted sound bites? I'm not sure he'd be able to even use his own great quips. I'll be able to tell you in the first show or two if he'll be his superstar self."

What about Perry's claim that he could easily replace Tyler with another lead singer when/if Tyler joins "American Idol?"

"If he makes a giant success as a TV personality he won't want to go back on the road. And there is no Aerosmith without Steven Tyler. Period," says Kalodner.

Funny because lots of fans are saying that there is no "American Idol" without Simon Cowell. Stay tuned. . .but I don't have to tell you that.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

^
Thank you for the info. It's a shame. I'd think being one of the exceptionally good male rock singers of all time (there aren't a ton) would provide enough adulation for Tyler, and also give him a sense of self-respect not to want the meaningless kind of fame that 'Idol' will give him.
John Kalodner sounds kinda pissed off! I met him a few times, many years ago. Maybe with Tyler on 'Idol' the Aerosmith franchise is coming to an end with not so much as a farewell tour before they're even older than they are now, I can understand any resentment the band or associates may have.
Could it be Tyler is feeling tired and/or is afraid that his voice is going to let him down? It might explain the madness of the current employment he has chosen.
I feel badly for Joe Perry and the rest of Aerosmith. And if Steven is as shallow to only want 'Hollywood fame' how is he going to take any criticism that his face isn't exactly - I'm sorry- high definition prime time television material?
The lighting should be interesting, but probably not enough to ever make me want to watch American Idol!