Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Eurovision

Oh yes...it's that crazy time of year again, when people get all dressed up in silly costumes, sing silly songs and make us all laugh/cringe.....it's Eurovision time.Youtube has all the first lot of semis ( from Tuesday) and tonight we get another lot..then it's all go on Saturday....if nothing else it's good for a laugh and we could all do with that after all thats been happening in the world lately! Hmmm...hope I'm not the only Ledgie watching this Anyone else?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

..haha...it DOES look like I'm the only person on here watching this! I'm even answering my own thread! Anyway, just wanted to mention that actually, the songs (most of them) are rather good this year and it seems theyv'e managed to sort out that eternal problem of politically correct countries voting for their neighbours...so it might be quite an interesting competition tomorrow night. . If nothing else, a fun way to while away an evening and have a good laugh.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't been watching cause I don't think it's on free to air here. Some were saying that it was the UK worst entrance in years and others were saying it was the best. I can't get on youtube but I want to see it....or maybe I shouldn't.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I haven't been watching cause I don't think it's on free to air here. Some were saying that it was the UK worst entrance in years and others were saying it was the best. I can't get on youtube but I want to see it....or maybe I shouldn't.
Actually, you know what, I haven't heard the UK entry at all, so I can't say what it's like (can't be as bad as last years surely?????) Oh, you can't get on youtube? I thought it was just a matter of downloading something and away you go (I'm not a PC expert either but I thought it was free) pity, Youtube is great for catching up on anything and everything . Speaking of which I'm off to catch American Idol.....anyway Ruby, have a good weekend
Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ok...did I say they had sorted out the problem of countries voting for their neighbours? I did and that was obviously wrong....hence another Eastern bloc country has won (Russia). I fear instead of Eurovision, it'll morph into Easternvision before too long and that will be that.The eternal UK presenter, Terry Wogan, ran out of funny things to say and hinted he might not be there next year, I'm not sure we will be either, who knows though.....maybe watching "Britains got talent" might be more exciting instead.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Eurovision is nothing without Terry Wogan!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
Eurovision is nothing without Terry Wogan!
Oh yes, I agree, but the poor man sounded bored to tears this year and who can blame him, he's been predicting which country votes for which for YEARS (you could practically place bets on them). It dosn't matter how good/bad a song is, it makes no difference at the end of the day, this competition is NOT about the music, which is a shame, coz some of those songs are great fun and could unify a lot of different cultures, but instead it's splitting them apart into an East vs West thing.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Every year I tell myself I will stop watching it. But every year I get tempted again to see how the east screws us over again. For example: Germany has 82 million inhabitants, that is the countries Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Moldova, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and Bulgaria combined. Each country can give 58 points in total, meaning 82 millions Germans can give 58 points and the same amount of people in the east can give 754 points to their neighbours or split up states gone independent. The math doesn't add up for the western fiananciers of this contest.
Well, most of the time the winner deserves to win, but only in a few cases for the right reasons.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizNicks View Post
Every year I tell myself I will stop watching it. But every year I get tempted again to see how the east screws us over again. For example: Germany has 82 million inhabitants, that is the countries Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Moldova, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia and Bulgaria combined. Each country can give 58 points in total, meaning 82 millions Germans can give 58 points and the same amount of people in the east can give 754 points to their neighbours or split up states gone independent. The math doesn't add up for the western fiananciers of this contest.
Well, most of the time the winner deserves to win, but only in a few cases for the right reasons.
Well, when you look at those figures, yes, you can see the voting is daunting. whats also interesting, is that the top nations who provide the financial backing for the "competition" (and theyr'e the ones who automatically qualify because of it..which I don't nesessarily agree with, personally) are all ( I think ) Western (France, Germany, UK and somebody else). there's been talk in the papers that the UK might consider withdrawing, so we'll see what happens there.Wonder if the Eastern blocs would carry on then , if the West pulled the plug?