User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Ya'll are missing the boat. It's about time for the piano intro to have a comeback. That will get everyone on their feet!
Poor ol’ Chris probably couldn’t handle it these days!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I'd say your chances have increased from 0.5% to 1%.
I think I have posted once since the Lindsey Gate fiasco has gone down. Truthfully, the same 3 Stevie sycophants reposting to make their view seem omni-present is boring to me. As is the Lindsey will be homeless without FM line of thinking.

My mind - there has been no live arrangement since the Tusk tour (less Lindsey 1987-1995) that has not been Lindsey created. He is the principal arranger of Fleetwood Mac. Rhiannon as constructed is Lindsey driven. So don't blame Stevie for that.

As for the rest, lets stop pretending. The only person with any creativity in FM since 1992 is Lindsey. I think that is hard to deny. This tour for whatever reason is not selling like 2013 or 2015. The LA, Boston numbers are awful. Lindsey's absence contributes to these bad early returns. Hard to deny as well.

I really like Neil Finn. Creative, talented songwriter. Better songwriter than Lindsey in my opinion. Not nearly the arranger, as too much sounds the same and all the guitar parts sound like they were played by the same guy. Campbell has written some great songs and with artists well beyond TP. Problem is too much of his playing sounds like Byrds circa 1968. He doesn't expand enough for my taste. Lindsey's diversity of sounds and layering of guitars, with synced synths and looped percussion is so much more entertaining, as his use of vocal pads.

Lots of nuance here, but lets not see this all as as quite as black and white. This version of FM will be very capable. Not my my taste, but not bad.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
I think I have posted once since the Lindsey Gate fiasco has gone down. Truthfully, the same 3 Stevie sycophants reposting to make their view seem omni-present is boring to me. As is the Lindsey will be homeless without FM line of thinking.

My mind - there has been no live arrangement since the Tusk tour (less Lindsey 1987-1995) that has not been Lindsey created. He is the principal arranger of Fleetwood Mac. Rhiannon as constructed is Lindsey driven. So don't blame Stevie for that.

As for the rest, lets stop pretending. The only person with any creativity in FM since 1992 is Lindsey. I think that is hard to deny. This tour for whatever reason is not selling like 2013 or 2015. The LA, Boston numbers are awful. Lindsey's absence contributes to these bad early returns. Hard to deny as well.

I really like Neil Finn. Creative, talented songwriter. Better songwriter than Lindsey in my opinion. Not nearly the arranger, as too much sounds the same and all the guitar parts sound like they were played by the same guy. Campbell has written some great songs and with artists well beyond TP. Problem is too much of his playing sounds like Byrds circa 1968. He doesn't expand enough for my taste. Lindsey's diversity of sounds and layering of guitars, with synced synths and looped percussion is so much more entertaining, as his use of vocal pads.

Lots of nuance here, but lets not see this all as as quite as black and white. This version of FM will be very capable. Not my my taste, but not bad.
Wow, what a refreshing post! So reasonable and respectful. You shared your opinion yet bad mouthed no one in the band.

John Run, you are quite a guy!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think I have posted once since the Lindsey Gate fiasco has gone down. Truthfully, the same 3 Stevie sycophants reposting to make their view seem omni-present is boring to me.
love it, how aptly said!

Quote:
thanks for this perspective. i actually learned something from your post - how novel for this place!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What a breath of fresh air. Please continue to post your balanced point of view is so needed here.
I agree with you, Neil is a better songwriter and lyricist, but he has nothing close to LBs guitar ability. Although he is excellent on the keyboard too.

Last edited by Angel75; 05-22-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
What a breath of fresh air. Please continue to post your balanced point of you is so needed here.
I agree with you, Neil is a better songwriter and lyricist, but he has nothing close to LBs guitar ability. Although he is excellent on the keyboard too.
Agree about Neil Finn's songwriting. To me, there are few ever who can match Neil's ability to craft melody to lyric. And he's still in his prime as evidenced by his outstanding Out of Silence album from last year. I also agree that his guitar playing is good doesn't watch Lindsey's - but Neil is no slouch on the guitar. Check out the performance below which is pretty darn good.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Neil plays keyboards too? Wow, that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Angel75. Do you know if he ever plays them live, or does he stick primarily to guitar?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Neil plays keyboards too? Wow, that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Angel75. Do you know if he ever plays them live, or does he stick primarily to guitar?
Both, though mostly guitar.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Neil used to play mostly guitar and just a little bit of piano. In recent years, he has shifted to playing about equal parts piano and guitar. Interestingly, he has historically mainly written songs on piano and then transferred some of them to guitar if he thinks that works better for the song in question. Recently, he has been keeping most of his song on piano. For his last album, 2017's Out of Silence (which is an awesome album), Neil was almost exclusively on piano.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mostly guitar but heres a glimpse of his keyboard skills

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G_dfHZ4HTE
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fyi - Neil recorded his last solo album "Out of Silence" in front of cameras and broadcast it live on Facebook and YouTube. It's still on his Youtube channel for those who want to watch it. It is interesting to see how Neil works with his "band" to arrange and perform his songs. Such a great album.