User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Ledgie

Default "Without you" guitar tuning?

Hi!

Does anyone have any idea of which guitar tuning does Lindsey use for Without you? (old demo or new live version sound similar)
The sound is very folksy, with some really high notes (some strings an octave above?) - it sounds like a 12-string but it seems a normal 6-string in the concert videos. And it just sounds to me like like the tuning is not the standard.
Anyone can help?

Thank youuu!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a quick look at one of the videos and I'm pretty sure it's an open tuning. I'm not sure exactly what chord it's tuned to but he's not using a capo so I'm going *guess* it's Open G or A.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's some open E... Something similar to B E B E G# B but I'm not completely sure. That's just the closest I've found, and I'm no expert, but using that tuning you can play along with Lindsey using the same finger positioning (as far as I can see in the videos, anyway). Although that low B is rather, well, low.. maybe tuned up to double that low E would be better?

I think the reason it sounds like a 12 string is because I think that there's a second guitar being played that's tuned to a different key but capo'd up high to be heard in E.

However, if someone knows a better/more accurate tuning .. please correct me, I want to learn to play this too, as correctly as possible.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Ledgie

Awesome, thank you for your answers! I always tried to play along that demo but didn't get close to that sonority, and I don't know much about non standard tunings.

I'll try what you say and we'll see if I'm lucky.

Now if some guitar player goes to a concert and could film a really close-up of the playing
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I think it's some open E... Something similar to B E B E G# B but I'm not completely sure. That's just the closest I've found, and I'm no expert, but using that tuning you can play along with Lindsey using the same finger positioning (as far as I can see in the videos, anyway). Although that low B is rather, well, low.. maybe tuned up to double that low E would be better?

I think the reason it sounds like a 12 string is because I think that there's a second guitar being played that's tuned to a different key but capo'd up high to be heard in E.

However, if someone knows a better/more accurate tuning .. please correct me, I want to learn to play this too, as correctly as possible.
I think the second guitar (Neale?) is part of the problem with figuring it out. On several Lindsey-solo songs they do the same thing - Lindsey plays one thing and someone else plays the same chords in a different voicing.

In terms of the low B... Doesn't Lindsey normally just use the 5 highest sounding strings anyway? I'm sure I remember times where he didn't even have 6 strings on his guitar because he never used it.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post

In terms of the low B... Doesn't Lindsey normally just use the 5 highest sounding strings anyway? I'm sure I remember times where he didn't even have 6 strings on his guitar because he never used it.
Oh that would make sense coming from his 5 string banjo background.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I think the second guitar (Neale?) is part of the problem with figuring it out. On several Lindsey-solo songs they do the same thing - Lindsey plays one thing and someone else plays the same chords in a different voicing.

Possibly. I've never noticed him having the bottom string removed, but there are definitely songs where he doesn't play it (Then again, there are also songs where he does - like all of his drop D stuff).

In this song, since it's strummed rather than fingerpicked, I tend to think he's using it. But I am still not sure what the tuning is - although I am reasonably sure it's similar to the one I posted and definitely sure it's an open E.

And yeah, I think there's certainly a second guitar being played.