User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Default Sheryl Crow + Stevie

Are They Still Friends? What Happened Between Them

(Sorry if this has been discussed before)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have never seen any reports that would indicate that they are no longer friends. There just seems to be no reason why they wouldn't still be in touch. They both just performed the other night at THE ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME. They were in the same set singing Linda Ronstadt songs. Linda couldn't not attend due to health reasons. I can only assume they hung out together that evening.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

I Don't Know, Once I Saw An Interview and Stevie Said Their Relationship didn't work out
Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I Don't Know, Once I Saw An Interview and Stevie Said Their Relationship didn't work out
Huh? Where was that? Can you post it?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's completley untrue. Stevie & Sheryl appeared on Oprah right before the release of "In Your Dreams" in 2011 then had dinner together after the taping. I also recall Sheryl mentioning in a fairly recent interview that she is still in touch w/ Stevie, whenever they can. During the the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance of "When Will I Be Loved", Stevie teasingly smacked Sheryl on the left arm, they seemed to be on very friendly terms.

The only time I've ever heard Stevie throw a little shade at Sheryl was during her relationship with Lance Armstrong in the mid 2000s. In a 2005 radio interview, Stevie said that Sheryl was now in the bicycling world, and Stevie could not even relate or something like that.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think the whole chapter where Sheryl announced she was joining Fleetwood Mac, then backtracked, probably cooled the friendship between the two some. Lindsey was clearly incensed by the whole debacle, and I'm not sure Stevie was too nuts about it either. I'm guessing all the drama & attention that brought to Sheryl probably caused her to step back some.

That being said, I do still think they're friends. Stevie has mentioned her "great friend Sheryl Crow" in the press a few times in the past 5 years. I'm just certain their friendship has changed following several big milestones in Sheryl's life- her acrimonious split with Lance Armstrong, her contraction of breast cancer, adopting a child, moving from LA to Nashville, etc. Any one of those things could put up a wall between a friend, or at least greatly alter a friendship. Combined, Sheryl likely has very different values than when she & Stevie appeared to be best pals 10-15 years ago. Stevie's values probably haven't changed much at all, further changing their friendship. I suspect Sheryl sort of adopted Stevie as her famous fairy godmother when she was younger- but doesn't have the need for that sort of a mentor as much these days after all she herself has been through. Just my hypothesis, anyway.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Christopher;1126457]That's completley untrue. Stevie & Sheryl appeared on Oprah right before the release of "In Your Dreams" in 2011 then had dinner together after the taping. I also recall Sheryl mentioning in a fairly recent interview that she is still in touch w/ Stevie, whenever they can. During the the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance of "When Will I Be Loved", Stevie teasingly smacked Sheryl on the left arm, they seemed to be on very friendly terms. /QUOTE]

I Know It Was An Interview From Last Year
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Huh? Where was that? Can you post it?
Stevie's always friends with her exes
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the record, in this January 2014 interview, Stevie is brought up as Sheryl's great friend and mentor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...hallenged.html

It's interesting that Sheryl is now approximately the age that Stevie was when they collaborated together during the TISL era. Though, Sheryl now seems to have lost her way (musically speaking) and is not quite as ubiquitous as she was in the late 90s through mid 2000s. She's basically had 3 consecutive records now that underperformed or flat-out bombed. I was a fan before she completely lost me doing her Dusty Springfield-eque record "100 Miles From Memphis", then became invisible to me forevermore with her foray into "country" music, complete with cheesy Nashville co-writing and dreadful songs. "Easy" was anything BUT, to these ears. Meanwhile, Stevie seems evermore ubiquitous in cementing her legendary status!

Last edited by Christopher; 04-15-2014 at 06:45 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The interview that you are thinking of is from last year. However, Stevie was asked what her thoughts were on the Lance Armstrong situation. She said that she knew that their relationship- meaning Lance & Sheryl- wasn't going to work out, and that NOW she knew why.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
For the record, in this January 2014 interview, Stevie is brought up as Sheryl's great friend and mentor.

It's interesting that Sheryl is now approximately the age that Stevie was when they collaborated together during the TISL era. Though, Sheryl now seems to have lost her way (musically speaking) and is not quite as ubiquitous as she was in the late 90s through mid 2000s. She's basically had 3 consecutive records now that underperformed or flat-out bombed. I was a fan before she completely lost me doing her Dusty Springfield-eque record "100 Miles From Memphis" than became invisible to me forevermore with her foray into "country" music, complete with cheesy Nashville co-writing and dreadful songs. "Easy" was anything BUT, to these ears. Meanwhile, Stevie seems evermore ubiquitous in cementing her legendary status!
You know I thought the same thing about Sheryl, but I liked her record. She has always had to fight for radio space. The 90s and 2000s was not the best time for Classic, yet, she managed to keep the candle burning.

I thought about Sheryl's age and she really is getting old. She is Stevie's age back in the late 90s - early 200os, just a breath away. She will have a comeback.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
You know I thought the same thing about Sheryl, but I liked her record. She has always had to fight for radio space. The 90s and 2000s was not the best time for Classic, yet, she managed to keep the candle burning.

I thought about Sheryl's age and she really is getting old. She is Stevie's age back in the late 90s - early 200os, just a breath away. She will have a comeback.
If she has a comeback, I would be surprised! Her country album basically fell on deaf ears (selling only 36K its first week of release), even IYD bested that by nearly 2x's. Then there's Sheryl quote after leaving Interscope to sign w/ her counrty record deal (Warner Music Nashville), that her former label no longer knew what to do with her!?! WTF?? Sheryl seems to be running out of options...and inspiration, looking a bit desperate. Not that she is hurting, or I feel sorry for her -- pretty sure she is finacially solvent. BUT, Sheryl doesn't have the luxury of being a member of a elite band like Fleetwood Mac to bolster her status, as Stevie does. I predict, Sheryl will amble about in the musical background until she no longer cares to. She'll always have "The Globe Sessions" and a few other shining moments.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

It's interesting that Sheryl is now approximately the age that Stevie was when they collaborated together during the TISL era. Though, Sheryl now seems to have lost her way (musically speaking) and is not quite as ubiquitous as she was in the late 90s through mid 2000s. She's basically had 3 consecutive records now that underperformed or flat-out bombed. I was a fan before she completely lost me doing her Dusty Springfield-eque record "100 Miles From Memphis" than became invisible to me forevermore with her foray into "country" music, complete with cheesy Nashville co-writing and dreadful songs. "Easy" was anything BUT, to these ears. Meanwhile, Stevie seems evermore ubiquitous in cementing her legendary status!
Sheryl may be the same age as Stevie was during the TISL era, but she's certainly in a different part of her career. Sheryl didn't break out as a star until 1994. So she's been famous for 20 years. 20 years into Stevie's fame, 1995, Stevie was quite a washed-up has-been with consecutive flop records, too.

Regarding the quality of Sheryl's last few records, for me, they're spotty. I detest her recent country album. But then again, I detest country music, especially of that style. However, I thought 100 Miles From Memphis was fantastic. Detours was a great protest album for the early 21st Century. Sure, none of these albums are as good as Sheryl's first 3. But that seems to be the case for a lot of artists.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Sheryl may be the same age as Stevie was during the TISL era, but she's certainly in a different part of her career. Sheryl didn't break out as a star until 1994. So she's been famous for 20 years. 20 years into Stevie's fame, 1995, Stevie was quite a washed-up has-been with consecutive flop records, too.

Regarding the quality of Sheryl's last few records, for me, they're spotty. I detest her recent country album. But then again, I detest country music, especially of that style. However, I thought 100 Miles From Memphis was fantastic. Detours was a great protest album for the early 21st Century. Sure, none of these albums are as good as Sheryl's first 3. But that seems to be the case for a lot of artists.
Are you kidding me!?! Sheryl seems pretty washed-up to me at this point in her career!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragrsrocalot View Post
The interview that you are thinking of is from last year. However, Stevie was asked what her thoughts were on the Lance Armstrong situation. She said that she knew that their relationship- meaning Lance & Sheryl- wasn't going to work out, and that NOW she knew why.
Yes That Is What I Was Referring Too.

For Other People...

I Asked A Question I Did Not Say Stevie Hates Sheryl (Or Vice Versa)