User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Those excerpts from his book in Crawdaddy are a riot. A race between gear mobiles?? That's something Top Gear (BBC) would do today, a show I highly recommend. The scary plane ride to Antwerp seems to be the inspiration for a scene from "Almost Famous".
The club scenes where so many top rank musicians converged there in London were out of this world back then, starting with the Marquee Club, and spreading out from there. You never knew just who you might run into, or what mayhem was in the works!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
The club scenes where so many top rank musicians converged there in London were out of this world back then, starting with the Marquee Club, and spreading out from there. You never knew just who you might run into, or what mayhem was in the works!
I had already read the Keith Moon "Magic Bus" story, but I was missing the other two parts. The London club scene in the late 60's was equivalent to the jazz clubs in Harlem during the be-bop era of the late 40's. I really think what took 50 years for jazz to come full circle, rock music did it in just over 20 years.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-16-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
Never heard of the Winter connection before ~ interesting is right. I'm not sure Manalishi was recorded anywhere but at De Lane Lea Studios, unless this came in the form of mixing and overdubs later on (after perhaps being shuttled off via express courier). Johnny Winter may have also found his way into the Kingsway, London studio during one of his concert tours of England. I know there exists a 1970 recording of him and his band performing from the Royal Albert Hall, which came out a few years ago as part of a Sony reissue package, so who knows.
I think we have it backwards regarding the recording date.
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10844
The track was apparently started in LA in January 1970, on the American tour,
then completed in London. Of course Winter could have played in either place, as he was in London in April 1970.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I think we have it backwards regarding the recording date.
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10844
The track was apparently started in LA in January 1970, on the American tour,
then completed in London. Of course Winter could have played in either place, as he was in London in April 1970.
Top notch find Dino. No wonder we all had our wires running in different directions on Manalishi. I have seen LA cited as the recording locale a number of times over the years, and always wondered the how and why behind it. This is one example of where the mixing and dubs may have rivalled the primaries, as it seems there was as much creative thought going into them as were the ones that nabbed the tracks to begin with. Made for a fine and fitting send off to Peter Green, if nothing else.