User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Ad I'm sorry, but being told to simply go to the Superdome to be taken to safety is and was a **** plan.
It worked in that they safely rode out the storm there It was when the levees broke that the Dome became a nightmare.

Quote:
Stop spinning. I'm suggesting that better plans should have been mapped out long ago, especially considering that government officials knew they were on such shaky ground with those levees and neighborhoods being below sea level. Telling people "Just go to the Superdome" is nothing short of ridiculous.
Again, the Dome worked as people rode out the storm in safety inside of it - it was the lack of the govt. response after the levees broke that lead to the chaos.

In the end, what were they supposed to do, handcuff the people refusing to leave and put them on a bus to Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, which seems kind of silly when the Superdome was built to withstand these storms, which it did relatively unscathed.

What would have been a suitable plan to you?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
It was when the levees broke that the Dome became a nightmare.
And that is what they should have prepared for. I do not buy the line that they couldn't have predicted the levees being breached.

Quote:
In the end, what were they supposed to do, handcuff the people refusing to leave and put them on a bus to Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, which seems kind of silly when the Superdome was built to withstand these storms, which it did relatively unscathed.
Keep spinning.

Quote:
What would have been a suitable plan to you?
They should have had buses up and running, scheduled to pick up people at specific stops in each neighborhood for those willing to evacuate to start with.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think we are talking about teo different things. The City of New Orleans asked peole to evauate in two ways:

1. Leave the city and go west to at least Baton Rouge.

or

2. If they could not leave because they had not car, etc. - they were to go to the Superdome as it was built as an evacuation shelter.

If you had to chose option 2, you had two days to get to the Dome and many thousands did and they did so by public transportation and other means. My point is many thousands who were able to evacuate did not because of the inconvenience and I think those people could have gotten there but just did not want to. Thus, those people are not the forgotten that they were referring to. They were instead the obstinate and in a deadly way in many cases. In the end, I think that if the able bodied people had listened to the evacuation warnings and gone to the Superdome they would have been better off than being stranded in a 100+ degree attic waiting for a chopper or boat to rescue them at the cost of a sick or frail person who could not evacuate dying while waiting for the evacuation of the able bodied people.

I am not saying that the poor and sick were taken care of properly, they were not - and I think that is pathetic. My beef is with the able bodied people who chose to stay being heralded as innocents in all this. They were part of the problem.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . .

They should have had buses up and running, scheduled to pick up people at specific stops in each neighborhood for those willing to evacuate to start with.
They had that. The City buses were running on Sunday - why didn't the people get onto them and go to the dome Plus, some other buses were being utilized and people were being gathered up.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think we are talking about teo different things. The City of New Orleans asked peole to evauate in two ways:

1. Leave the city and go west to at least Baton Rouge.

or

2. If they could not leave because they had not car, etc. - they were to go to the Superdome as it was built as an evacuation shelter.

If you had to chose option 2, you had two days to get to the Dome and many thousands did and they did so by public transportation and other means. My point is many thousands who were able to evacuate did not because of the inconvenience and I think those people could have gotten there but just did not want to. Thus, those people are not the forgotten that they were referring to. They were instead the obstinate and in a deadly way in many cases. In the end, I think that if the able bodied people had listened to the evacuation warnings and gone to the Superdome they would have been better off than being stranded in a 100+ degree attic waiting for a chopper or boat to rescue them at the cost of a sick or frail person who could not evacuate dying while waiting for the evacuation of the able bodied people.

I am not saying that the poor and sick were taken care of properly, they were not - and I think that is pathetic. My beef is with the able bodied people who chose to stay being heralded as innocents in all this. They were part of the problem.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the evacuation plans drawn up and the actions taken by the local government of New Orleans, I suppose.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the evacuation plans drawn up and the actions taken by the local government of New Orleans, I suppose.
But, you are not being clear. You wanted the people to have been put on buses and taken where? The Superdome was the safest place to go in NOLA If yiou wanted them shipped out of town, that presents a larger problem in that where do you go with hundreds of thousands of people in two days.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If yiou wanted them shipped out of town, that presents a larger problem in that where do you go with hundreds of thousands of people in two days.
Of course it presents a problem, but it presents an even bigger problem when no real evacuation plans are in place to get them out of town. Not to mention that the Superdome wasn't equipped to handle all of the people that were locked in there to begin with.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course it presents a problem, but it presents an even bigger problem when no real evacuation plans are in place to get them out of town. Not to mention that the Superdome wasn't equipped to handle all of the people that were locked in there to begin with.
The Superdome was built to be a temporary shelter, which was how it was used Many of the hotels were also used and most had little damage - though some had lots of it.

In the end, I think the city should forceably remove people from the city.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Angry Hey!

Post pics of a hottie or get the frick out of this thread!!

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Post pics of a hottie or get the frick out of this thread!!

Thank you.

I can't think of any new ones to post. I suppose another gratuitous posting of Micahel Vartan is needed.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't think of any new ones to post. I suppose another gratuitous posting of Micahel Vartan is needed.

Why is he crying?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Why is he crying?

Bennifer Part Deux must've finally got to him.

I just read he's coming back to Alias for three episodes, so I'm doing a happy dance.

Last edited by dissention; 10-14-2005 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Ledgie

Talking Oh Yeah::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
OMG, I can't believe Towie posted my pic in the midst of all the movie star hunks. Sheesh.

Yeah, I saw your famous face in there, too!!!
You are looking hot & hunky
Old 10-16-2005, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony
Jake Gyllenhaal.

*swoon*

I remember there being an issue of Entertainment Weekly last summer with a picture similar to the 2nd one... I must've looked at that ALL the time, haha.