User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Yeah, how is your dad doing with all this? Some guy wrote to the paper here & was yelling about how come the stations raise their prices when they've already had the gas delievered & paid for.

How does it work, Riss? I want to write back & call him an idiot, but I want to get my facts straight!

Oh, and it's about $2.27 here last I checked.
No one is doing well--my parents included. The reason why gas stations raise their prices when they have a small surplus of gas is because that's the only way they're going to make any money at all--and even then sometimes you still don't. My father purchased a load last week--$1.80 something per gallon (he couldn't remember--he only knows it was "high, Maris"). He's currently selling it for $1.95. He's making way less than .10 per gallon.

We have a super Wawa down the street from us and a lot of foreign gas near us as well (and by "foreign," I think you all know what I mean. They bring their families over here to work on a visa--send them money back--sleep at the gas station and don't actually hold a residency). You simply CANNOT COMPETE with their prices--and even they are still high. Not to mention--the taxes for everything--the rules--it's ridiculous. I wish I could get him on here because he'd probably type a full out dissertation for you on the bull**** that is operating and owning your own.

As the demand for it increases, so will the price. It's a money maker alright but I can assure you, it's not the pockets of those in business for themselves getting lined.

Last edited by GardenStateGirlie; 03-21-2005 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Last Wed in Dorchester, MA I think I paid 2.18. Yesterday in NH 1.99. I was also thinking that when I started driving my current car gas prices were about half that because I remember filling my little tank for $11! Man, I loved that. Last Wed a record for me at $21 to fill my tank. And my tank is 10 gallons tops!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
No one is doing well--my parents included. The reason why gas stations raise their prices when they have a small surplus of gas is because that's the only way they're going to make any money at all--and even then sometimes you still don't. My father purchased a load last week--$1.80 something per gallon (he couldn't remember--he only knows it was "high, Maris"). He's currently selling it for $1.95. He's making way less than .10 per gallon.

We have a super Wawa down the street from us and a lot of foreign gas near us as well (and by "foreign," I think you all know what I mean. They bring their families over here to work on a visa--send them money back--sleep at the gas station and don't actually hold a residency). You simply CANNOT COMPETE with their prices--and even they are still high. Not to mention--the taxes for everything--the rules--it's ridiculous. I wish I could get him on here because he'd probably type a full out dissertation for you on the bull**** that is operating and owning your own.

As the demand for it increases, so will the price. It's a money maker alright but I can assure you, it's not the pockets of those in business for themselves getting lined.
I know how you guys feel. Being a small business owner sucks these days. Taxes, fees, regulations, permits, lawyers, etc, etc, etc!

My dad had to close his business recently (a bar) after really struggling the last few years. Now it's gone, and my parents (both in their 60's) have to re-enter the workforce after being self-employed since 1986. After 6 months of living on basically nothing, dad finally got a job that provided insurance. Mom's still working on finding something decent part time.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's about $2.25 here. It took a record-breaking $30 to fill my 15 gallon tank. I guess I got about 13 gallons.