Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I suppose a keen writer doesn't typically think that describing a show as just "meh" really makes a good column, hence the exaggeration. I agree with Michele, though. While some of his complaints ring true to people who do find their recent tours disappointing, much of them were too over the top to seem credible. Complaining that a 64 year old woman is "not the expected sexy" in her stage manner is just downright silly.

I love the use of "cheerleader-less" as a serious adjective evaluating a musical performance though.

^ Super srs musiks.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Ledgie

Well, I was certainly not disappointed in the show. Stevie sounded better than I than I had imagined she would. I really enjoyed Gold Dust Woman, it was really powerful and she brought so much emotion to it. sisters sounded great. They got a great reception for Sad Angel and a fair one for Without You. '
My brother is a casual fan at best and he was really impressed with them all,especially Lindsey. "Where is his pick? he doesn't use a pick?" He kept asking,lol.
Got in an argument with a woman in line ahead of me in the merchandise stand. she tried to tell me that Christine had died, and just would not let it go when I told her that she hadn't!
The arena was packed, very mixed crowd of all ages. We were sitting next to 3 teenage girls who were Stevie fans, they were a lot of fun.
Definitely worth the trek out to Calgary.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcat View Post
Got in an argument with a woman in line ahead of me in the merchandise stand. she tried to tell me that Christine had died, and just would not let it go when I told her that she hadn't!
I find this very interesting. Even slightly comical. In her mind she probably figured that Chris had to be dead or else she'd of certainly been performing onstage with the rest of the band.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Ledgie

Yes, she struck up a conversation with me, then said "it's so sad that they are not all here". I agreed with her, thinking that she meant that Chris was in England and not touring. When I mentioned that she was going to play a song or two with them when they were in England she looked confused and said " But she died,eh?" I said no and it took some convincing for her to believe me. She was fairly drunk, though.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Out to lunch
By Nico Lehman, Calgary Herald, May 23, 2013

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz2UADYAwrX

We think that Mike Bell's review of the Fleetwood Mac concert was absolutely terrible. He chewed them up and spit them out. He hacked them up to pieces, and why? He was mean, crude and just plain rude, and we disagree with his whole review.

Were you even at the same concert, Mike? Stevie Nicks' raspy, Gypsy-like voice was just what the doctor ordered, as she was stellar in her vocals, especially on Landslide, where there was not a dry eye in the house (except perhaps Bell's).

Lindsey Buckingham was monumental and had many great moments in the night where he was going nuts on the guitar. It was our first time seeing Fleetwood Mac and, even without Christine McVie, the rest of the band soared through the clouds and was still on top the whole night. Just thought Bell's review was out to lunch. Can't figure out if you are even a Fleetwood fan to begin with, or were forced to the show to write this review. We loved the show and were sadly disappointed to read what you wrote. We thought the concert was just stellar and we will certainly be back for more if Fleetwood Mac ever comes back again.

Nico Lehman and Glen Underwood, Calgary

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz2UADhOxRY
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Ledgie

exactly! I thought it was a great show!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

May 23, 2013 Bell's review a bad rumour

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...079/story.html

By Kevin Brost, Calgary Herald

Re: "Fleetwood Mac magic now just a rumour," Mike Bell, Opinion, May 18, and "Dylan delivers divine show; Music legend serves up timeless performance for his 'worshippers'," Mike Bell, Oct. 11, 2012.

I was at the Fleetwood Mac concert Friday night and also at Bob Dylan some months ago.

I was one of the many who tried to endure Bob Dylan for just over an hour and not one of the many thousands who streamed out in the first 30 minutes.

It was an unbearable mess of unintelligible nonsense, not even closely resembling a concert and a complete waste of money. Mike Bell, however, could not fawn over it enough the next day, which I still find incredulous, as you are either completely deaf or were not there, which was the conclusion I came to, as you were reviewing from a fan perspective and what you thought it might be like.

Then you hammer Fleetwood Mac for a darn good concert and 21/2 hours of good, solid entertainment, most of which was fantastic, particularly considering the age of the musicians. I have seen them many times as I have Dylan, and they were terrific in comparison while Dylan, I still cannot explain, other than he is drug addled and needed money and we were dumb enough to pay for the torture that it was.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz2UBIrukf2
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've never seen a paper discredit its own reviewer in this way! Or are these more letter-to-the-editor type responses? I got the impression they were other critics.

I like reviews, but I'd enjoy them more if there was more of a debate and dialogue in them, rather than just one person going "Here's what I think.... BYENOW" and quickly running away to write their next review.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I've never seen a paper discredit its own reviewer in this way! Or are these more letter-to-the-editor type responses? I got the impression they were other critics.
These letters were in the "Opinion" section. I think the one person, Kevin Brost, is a writer and photographer. I'm not sure about the second person Nico Lehman, if she's just a reader or what.

Michele