User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
updated, list with Albatross and Oh Well distinction (Rolling Stone only went with Oh Well):

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Oh Well

8. Gypsy

9. Sara

10. Don't Stop

11. Albatross

12. Say You Love Me

13. Little Lies
Two of 'em need to go. This is a top 10 list, buddy.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought about putting Little Lies on. But couldn't figure if I would actually rank it above Sara or Gypsy. For me, my top 6 are very obvious: Landslide, The Chain, Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Dreams, and Gold Dust Woman. Don't Stop also has to be on the list, since it was the song of the president. That leaves 3 spots. Again, yeah, if I remove the Oh Well/Albatross nod to Peter Green I'd probably put Say You Love Me over Little Lies.

Little Lies sounded pretty good on the Tango DVD. I know Sara wasn't performed live very often, but there is the whole following of fans who try to find out what the lyrics mean since they are so ambiguous. That is fascinating. It's a classic song that speaks to the sound of the band and the mystical, enigmatic quality of Stevie Nicks. And Gypsy gets in alone for that fantastic music video...amazing, the best from the band, and one that Lindsey isn't front and center (his lip syncing is absolutely dreadful).

So updated, list with Albatross and Oh Well distinction:

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Oh Well

8. Gypsy

9. Sara

10. Don't Stop

11. Albatross

12. Say You Love Me
Great list, albeit we seem to have gone over 10

I just think that the original post was about the popular imagination and reception, not (just) fans. So, for me, Sara - if it's included as you say because a lot of fans think it's mysterious - should go. It just isn't as iconic as some of their other stuff in a global sense. Ditto Gold Dust Woman. The general public, I think, would recognise the remaining ten on your revised list a bit more readily.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still working on my list, but here's my two cents:

Of course the list will vary by country (or at least US vs UK), but as far as the US is concerned, I don't think any Tango songs are iconic. Big Love is a concert highlight, but you don't hear it on the radio anymore and it isn't part of the public consciousness like Landslide (which would certainly be my No. 1). Little Lies was a huge hit at the time, but it hasn't endured the way SYLM and YMLF have.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post

Of course the list will vary by country (or at least US vs UK), but as far as the US is concerned, I don't think any Tango songs are iconic. Big Love is a concert highlight, but you don't hear it on the radio anymore and it isn't part of the public consciousness like Landslide (which would certainly be my No. 1). Little Lies was a huge hit at the time, but it hasn't endured the way SYLM and YMLF have.
The difference between nations is even greater than I thought, then. I grew up in Canada, but I guess in terms of music tastes that country is much closer to the UK than the US. SYLM and YMLF were unknown to me until I heard them on the albums. (And I actually think SYLM is best left forgotten, thank you very much ) Everywhere and Little Lies were ones I knew off by heart.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yes, it will vary. Landslide for instance is, I'd say, not particularly part of the public consciousness in Western Europe. Whereas, the 80s stuff still permeates the airwaves.

For what it's worth, my view is that Little Lies still stands up perfectly well as a song. In the popular arena here, it would be more readily identifiable than SYLM, for instance.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
The difference between nations is even greater than I thought, then. I grew up in Canada, but I guess in terms of music tastes that country is much closer to the UK than the US. SYLM and YMLF were unknown to me until I heard them on the albums. (And I actually think SYLM is best left forgotten, thank you very much ) Everywhere and Little Lies were ones I knew off by heart.
Noooooo. SYLM is an awesome song!

I agree. It must be having the Queen as head of state that turns you towards loving the 80s synth
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That was definitely my feeling re: Tango in the Night. Those songs don't have the same pull as the older classics. One can even argue that there are no classic songs on Tango in the Night, and I'm saying that as someone who loves Little Lies and has a European sensibility in music.

The reason I expanded my list was that I originally ranked Oh Well together with Albatross as a nod to Peter Green for a single spot on a ranked list. I did have a line on that list, so it was essentially a top 10. I do think Sara should be on the list, and I'm curious to see what U.S.-based people come up with. Again, here is what I have for Rumours-era only:

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Gypsy

8. Sara

9. Don't Stop

10. Say You Love Me
Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Noooooo. SYLM is an awesome song!

I agree. It must be having the Queen as head of state that turns you towards loving the 80s synth
SYLM probably is an awesome song, but I just find it intensely annoying. I'm not even sure why.

It's very interesting to hear the different impressions people have on these songs, based on their cultural background. It's not something I've thought much about before.

Any Australians around with a completely different take on things?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was definitely my feeling re: Tango in the Night. Those songs don't have the same pull as the older classics. One can even argue that there are no classic songs on Tango in the Night, and I'm saying that as someone who loves Little Lies and has a European sensibility in music.
On a musical level, I agree with you. But Little Lies, for example, is pretty damn iconic in terms of popular culture in the US and beyond. It's one of the first songs--if not the first--that a lot of people think of when FM is mentioned.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
On a musical level, I agree with you. But Little Lies, for example, is pretty damn iconic in terms of popular culture in the US and beyond. It's one of the first songs--if not the first--that a lot of people think of when FM is mentioned.
I understand what you mean. Looking at my list though, would you rank it higher than Say You Love Me, Don't Stop, or Sara?

I do think this song would be huge if Fleetwood Mac played it again (with Christine) and very well received at the concerts. It's too bad they couldn't make it work for The Dance.

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-12-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Adhering to the "icon" theme, which essentially means "famous," I chose songs that are famous world-wide. and most likely familiar to the casual listener. In no particular order:

LANDSLIDE
RHIANNON
DREAMS
THE CHAIN
TUSK
GO YOUR OWN WAY
BIG LOVE studio version/live
DON'T STOP
SAY YOU LOVE ME
LITTLE LIES

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-12-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The general public, I think, would recognise the remaining ten on your revised list a bit more readily.
are we talking general public now, or general public when these songs first came out?

for example, Rhiannon was huge and iconic (and pushed band into huge popularity) when it first came out and they were performing it live while touring white album. now, not so much, judging if nothing else by strange reactions it received when it was performed during grammys few years ago.

Gold Dust Woman on the other side, just kept gaining in popularity and it is still huge.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
are we talking general public now, or general public when these songs first came out?

for example, Rhiannon was huge and iconic (and pushed band into huge popularity) when it first came out and they were performing it live while touring white album. now, not so much, judging if nothing else by strange reactions it received when it was performed during grammys few years ago.

Gold Dust Woman on the other side, just kept gaining in popularity and it is still huge.
I think maybe the country variance is at play again, as GDW just isn't "huge" here in terms of general public knowing it. I'm talking about, I guess, where it is now in the consciousness of the wider audience in Europe. I can't speak for the US.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think maybe the country variance is at play again, as GDW just isn't "huge" here in terms of general public knowing it. I'm talking about, I guess, where it is now in the consciousness of the wider audience in Europe. I can't speak for the US.
You know, I'm sure the American perspective influences my picks, but I tried to think of the top 10 based on how Fleetwood Mac will be remembered. Gold Dust Woman is undeniably one of the band's most iconic songs; it doesn't really matter whether the public in this country recognizes it or the audiences in another country do not. It's about the bands legacy, and it is a very important song, the gold shawl, the final track on Rumours, the psychedelic flavor. As is Rhiannon, which certainly created the rock, onstage persona of Stevie Nicks and the unique, rock-credible side of the band.

I also think Gypsy is one of their most iconic songs too, since it is arguably one of the best-produced studio recordings and I think, unarguably, their best music video.

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-12-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i think that's great because it shows how it differs by countries. i loved also comparison to Canada that Dex brought up. the fact that so many of us here come from different backgrounds all over the world gives a much wider perspective.

even in one country, you just get snapshots of the particular point in time... for example, the online poll that RS ran recently that basically ended up with only SN songs (maybe those voters didn't know that CM songs are by FM? ), is very different from any list of iconic songs that RS has put together. or the list that someone in the UK recently published and that had mostly Tango songs.

growing up, and still now, iconic songs by FM:

Albatross
Black Magic Woman
Oh Well

right now, songs that everybody seems to know:

Landslide
Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop

added to it:

Gold Dust Woman
Tusk
Little Lies
The Chain

but if you are taking current snapshot poll in the UK, the way that RS did recently in the US, i have no doubt Everywhere would be on this list!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"