The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song as performed last night is a pale shadow of it's former self..she didn't even bother to wear a cape or shawl and it was so truncated.I refuse to call you know what a birthday cake.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, I don't think that she is choosing to not add those nuances with her voice. Your voice changes as you get older, I think it becomes increasingly harder to have those nuances with age. The mid range between a whisper and a soft note becomes increasingly harder to hit. I think she has issues with either something comes out that is too soft and it breaks up, which results in her needing to put more power behind it. This quickly makes softer notes a lot harder to achieve. I've noticed this with both Paul Simon and McCartney over the past decade. Their voices just don't flex the way they used to. It's either 20% or 110% full power.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Stevie Nicks is almost 65 years of age. This is why many other female rockers have retired because of these "fan" comments. I saw the MAC in '82 when she last performed Sisters and most of the reviews had issues with her performance of the song. Enjoy what we are getting. I would have never thought in 1987 I would see Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham on the same stage.
Am I the only one who is amazed that Lindsey ~apparently~ still has the energy he had 30 years ago, and Stevie acts like an old lady?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Honestly, I don't think that she is choosing to not add those nuances with her voice. Your voice changes as you get older, I think it becomes increasingly harder to have those nuances with age. The mid range between a whisper and a soft note becomes increasingly harder to hit. I think she has issues with either something comes out that is too soft and it breaks up, which results in her needing to put more power behind it. This quickly makes softer notes a lot harder to achieve. I've noticed this with both Paul Simon and McCartney over the past decade. Their voices just don't flex the way they used to. It's either 20% or 110% full power.
I remember many years ago a particular contestant on America Idol would drink a shot of warm olive oil before performing. She insisted it allowed her vocals to stretch and bend easier when she wanted them to.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Am I the only one who is amazed that Lindsey ~apparently~ still has the energy he had 30 years ago, and Stevie acts like an old lady?
Yeah but he sounds like an old hound dog croaking out it's final bark alot of the time when singing live.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
What I mean when I say that I think her vocal coach has done more harm than good is that he has trained her to sing in a very controlled, uninspired way. As a result, her vocals often lack color. She takes no chances and doesn’t explore different aspects to her voice. I believe he has convinced her that in order to not “have a bad night,” she needs to keep her vocals within a certain, monotonous range. With “Landslide,” for example, she used to sprinkle it with really soft, delicate notes that would give powerful meaning to certain lyrics and phrases in the song. Now it’s pretty much the same tone throughout. Plus, she seems to think that in order for her voice to have power, she needs to yell (listen to “Stand Back” live these days). It’s almost as if she’s following a strict vocal script and doesn’t want to stray from it, lest she be scolded by her vocal coach. I know she has some of that nuance in her still, because every once in a while it comes out (she sounds lovely on “Say Goodbye,” for example). I’m in no way suggesting that Stevie shred her voice or go crazy like she did in the ’80s, but I do wish she would explore the different sides of her voice that remain strong.

And, of course, this is just my silly opinion. I'm not a vocal coach; I just go by what I hear......
Very valid points and I agree with you overall. Secret Love live is a good example..On the album her voice has a sweet sound to it, but live she sounded robotic...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What he does for 2 hours while holding a guitar, I could not do for 20 minutes. In fact, I could hardly climb the stairs to leave the venue after the show. I think weed and cocaine must be healthier than all the bread, pasta and other carbs I have consumed over my life span, judging from his continued vigor. Michele
Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think weed [edit] must be healthier than all the bread, pasta and other carbs I have consumed over my life span, judging from his continued vigor.
Expands the mind & relaxes the body. (as well as rids the body of all those age related aches & pains that keeps one from doing physical activity. You know, the "medicinal quality" of said herbal remedy)
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Certainly not. I bet he also worked his socks off in the last month to produce this show. Provided all the prerecorded bits to fit in the livemix, and rehearsed with the backingband. And then propell the whole 2 hours 15 on the night self, singing and playing his heart out. Amazing.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I really missed the smokin' guitar solo at the end. It feels like half the song is missing with the abrupt ending, just like Rhiannon. That said, it was very cool and I'm glad they did it. I think it might get better when Stevie gets more comfortable with singing it and can throw it some ad libs to make it more interesting. I missed Lindsey singing a bit of it too, but I missed the guitar solo a lot more.
THIS

Lindsey really was showing his age with this song... very old man-ish. His blistering guitar work during the bridge and outtro on the Tusk and Mirage tours were a staple of the song. The guitar work on this song last night was really, really lazy and kind of ruined the song for me.

I'm only hoping that I complain about this during the first leg of the tour. They haven't played this in 30 years so we should expect some cobwebs. Maybe in a couple of months he'll figure it out and melt some faces like the old days!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Expands the mind & relaxes the body. (as well as rids the body of all those age related aches & pains that keeps one from doing physical activity. You know, the "medicinal quality" of said herbal remedy)
Oh, I meant the coke in the past. I wasn't suggesting he used either substance today. I just meant that you'd think the past years of abuse (though it felt good to him at the time) would have taken a toll on his body that would be manifesting itself now, in his sixties, and it doesn't. Not for the hours that he's onstage.

Michele
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post
What I mean when I say that I think her vocal coach has done more harm than good is that he has trained her to sing in a very controlled, uninspired way. As a result, her vocals often lack color. She takes no chances and doesn’t explore different aspects to her voice. I believe he has convinced her that in order to not “have a bad night,” she needs to keep her vocals within a certain, monotonous range. With “Landslide,” for example, she used to sprinkle it with really soft, delicate notes that would give powerful meaning to certain lyrics and phrases in the song. Now it’s pretty much the same tone throughout. Plus, she seems to think that in order for her voice to have power, she needs to yell (listen to “Stand Back” live these days). It’s almost as if she’s following a strict vocal script and doesn’t want to stray from it, lest she be scolded by her vocal coach. I know she has some of that nuance in her still, because every once in a while it comes out (she sounds lovely on “Say Goodbye,” for example). I’m in no way suggesting that Stevie shred her voice or go crazy like she did in the ’80s, but I do wish she would explore the different sides of her voice that remain strong.
And, of course, this is just my silly opinion. I'm not a vocal coach; I just go by what I hear......
I totally get what you're saying and think so too. Have for quite some time.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Certainly not. I bet he also worked his socks off in the last month to produce this show. Provided all the prerecorded bits to fit in the livemix, and rehearsed with the backingband. And then propell the whole 2 hours 15 on the night self, singing and playing his heart out. Amazing.
I know. Playing the guitar is almost the least of his contributions. Michele
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Well maybe Stevie needs to get back on the blow! I mean, can she just not muster the energy? Does menopause have a big effect on energy? I mean, I'd be embarrassed to be snailing around, when he's rocking out like a 22yo!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I can tell I like it, I don't consider it a mistake that they dusted it off. Even if Stevie didn't abuse her voice in the past it would never sound the same as it used to, I'm okay with that. Nothing stays the same, everything changes, and it won't ruin the song's legend for me to have it toned down now.

But I agree that the arrangement could be a little punchier. Let's see if it evolves over the tour (and happens to be perfect by the time they, oh, roll around to my neck of the woods).
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
StandbackStevie
This message has been deleted by StandbackStevie.