The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Clinton is the Right wings dirty bomb. Everytime an argument is brought up against Shrub, they retort with Clinton and his blow jobs. There is no comparison; getting fellatio from a woman that isn't your wife is not illegal. Taking a puff from a joint is illegal, but that can be called a youthful discretion since Clinton was quite young at the time, unlike Shrub who was in his thirties when convicted of drunk driving. Next to Shrub, Clinton is a god.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Next to Shrub, Clinton is a god.
I am not sure whether to be offended or laugh.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Clinton is the Right wings dirty bomb. Everytime an argument is brought up against Shrub, they retort with Clinton and his blow jobs. There is no comparison; getting fellatio from a woman that isn't your wife is not illegal.
No - but lying about it under oath is.

And I don't see any way around that.

I couldn't care less that the man is a womanizer; as alot of moderate conservatives will probably tell you, it is the fact that he lied about it.

I think everyone should be held to the same standard - liberal or conservative. No one is perfect and everyone has skeletons in their past. That is truly all I am trying to say here.

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 01-11-2004 at 05:15 PM..
Old 01-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
First of all, let me start by saying that I find it amusing that when the right has nothing better to say, they bring up Clinton.
And when the left has nothing better to say, they bring up GW's ancestors or his quarter-century old DUI.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad4stevie
No - but lying about it under oath is.

And I don't see any way around that.

I couldn't care less that the man is a womanizer; as alot of moderate conservatives will probably tell you, it is the fact that he lied about it.

I think everyone should be held to the same standard - liberal or conservative. No one is perfect and everyone has skeletons in their past. That is truly all I am trying to say here.
My problem with his whole deposition was that it happened at all. It was not right, in my eyes, for anyone but his family to question him about his affairs and sexual acts. The whole Ken Starr bull**** was a witch hunt, perpetuated by the Republicans. Hillary was right when she said it was a right-wing conspiracy; they didn't conspire to make him cheat and lie about it, but they conspired to taint him by making his conquests public.

Almost all of us would have lied when asked those questions. IMO, by answering them at all, it was like saying it was alright for them to be asked in the first place. And it wasn't right.

As for questionign whether you should be offended or laugh at what I said, do whichever pleases you. When you stack Clinton's performance record next to Shrub's, there is no comparison; Clinton did more for this country than Shrub could EVER do. Yeah, some of his policies were ill-conceived, no one has a perfect batting average, but he made this coutnry great again, IMO. Then the conservatives and Shrub rode in on their black horse and threw everything down the toilet. Shrub is an embarassment, a stain on this country who perpetuates nothing but hate and greed. And those will be my dying words.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And when the left has nothing better to say, they bring up GW's ancestors or his quarter-century old DUI.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
You don't seem to understand why it's being brought up: to show that Shrub is a liar, that he's continued to lie about for a quarter-century. He lied about it to the press, lied about it to the Texas government, and lied about it to the voters.

And I'm sorry to hear that Shrub's possession of Jewish blood money doesn't bother you.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I'm sorry to hear that Shrub's possession of Jewish blood money doesn't bother you.
You are making a huge leap here. I never said that. Please see my posts in the other thread.

I am not trying to attack or insult anyone here - and I don't condemn anyone for not agreeing with me. I don't take the fact that people have differing points of view as a personal attack unless this kind of thing is said, which is just a bit too much (see above).

However, I do think the best arguments are ones that show consistency and an appreciation for both strengths and weaknesses of your point of view. That is why I ask some of the questions that I do.

I will be the first to acknowledge that I usually do not get involved in the political threads here; mostly because there seem to be very few people that post who have a moderate/conservative point of view, and there seems to be a good deal of intolerance about those viewpoints. However, I do appreciate a well-reasoned argument from any standpoint. Irregardless of whether I agree with it or not, I look at it as an opportunity to expand my way of thinking about issues. In other words, I am NOT a conservative who has blinders on.

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 01-11-2004 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You don't seem to understand why it's being brought up: to show that Shrub is a liar, that he's continued to lie about for a quarter-century. He lied about it to the press, lied about it to the Texas government, and lied about it to the voters.
I do understand why you are bringing it up. For the same reason that I am asking for Clinton to be held to the same standard. I have never once said that I absolve ANYONE from lying. I just think that everyone should be judged by the same standard. Why isn't that fair?

Old 01-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I do understand why you are bringing it up. For the same reason that I am asking for Clinton to be held to the same standard. I have never once said that I absolve ANYONE from lying. I just think that everyone should be judged by the same standard. Why isn't that fair?
Unfortunately, that's not the impression that I've gotten. I got the impression that you thought the drunk driving incident had no merit to what's happening now and I disagree. It shows a pattern of lying and trying to cover-up misdeeds, which I see as very relevant to the type of man that is (unfortunately) in charge of our country. I think lying about a criminal conviction is a big deal.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not the impression that I've gotten. I got the impression that you thought the drunk driving incident had no merit to what's happening now and I disagree. It shows a pattern of lying and trying to cover-up misdeeds, which I see as very relevant to the type of man that is (unfortunately) in charge of our country. I think lying about a criminal conviction is a big deal.
I am not saying that Bush is absolved from any guilt about that incident. A distinction that I do make is that Clinton lied under oath about things that he did WHILE IN OFFICE.

To say that "most of us would have done the same" in reference to Clinton does not make what he did right in my eyes. And I think lying under oath when you are supposed to be the person who enforces the law is a big deal. I would have much more respect for the man if he would just have fessed up to begin with. Look at all the trouble Martha, Inc. has gotten herself into by trying to "cover-up" what she did.

Last edited by Mad4stevie; 01-11-2004 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am not saying that Bush is absolved from any guilt about that incident. A distinction that I do make is that Clinton lied under oath about things that he did WHILE IN OFFICE.

To say that "most of us would have done the same" in reference to Clinton does not make what he did right in my eyes. And I think lying under oath when you are supposed to be the person who enforces the law is a big deal. I would have much more respect for the man if he would just have fessed up to begin with. Look at all the trouble Martha, Inc. has gotten herself into by trying to "cover-up" what she did.
I actually don't think Martha did what the government claims, but we shall see. Don't you find it funny that she isn't being charged with insider trading, but she is being charged with trying to cover up insider trading? It smells very fishy.

Back to the topic at hand, no one is saying that lying under oath was the proper thing to do; it was wrong. Personally, I think Clinton should have refused to answer the question. I don't believe it was right to have been asked and I never will. At the same time, however, you could say that Bush lied to the government while filling out papers for jury duty by claiming he had no convictions. Lying on those things is akin to lying under oath and is punishable by law, too.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey does any one feel that having sex with a co-worker at your job is unethical? Do you think that those parties would be fired if they were caught? Some people just seem to be above the law. He's not called Slick Willy for nothing. I think his legacy will live on for a long time.

Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd
Hey does any one feel that having sex with a co-worker at your job is unethical? Do you think that those parties would be fired if they were caught? Some people just seem to be above the law. He's not called Slick Willy for nothing. I think his legacy will live on for a long time.

Joe
It's unethical, but not illegal. The White House was Clinton's home; every single room was at his disposal and ready for his inhabitance. As long as he wasn't breaking the law, he did nothing wrong (note that I said law, not moral).

Old 01-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea, I heard he slept(around) a lot in the Oval Office.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by jwd

Joe
I think it depends on what you job is. If you have "clients" as I do, you absolutely should not have sex with them! That is unethical. However, I don't think that if you meet your significant other at the workplace, you can call that unethical. If that person is your boss, then there are some potential harassment issues.