Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Kennedy Announces Plan to Submit Bill For Universal Care

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...pid=sec-nation

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), making his second appearance on Capitol Hill since he began treatment for a malignant brain tumor in June, told reporters yesterday that he would advance a bill early next year calling for universal health care.

Some Democrats, including members of President-elect Barack Obama's circle, have begun to view expanded coverage as a longer-term goal.

The brief appearance by Kennedy, who made a surprise return in July to vote on a Medicare bill, represented an opportunity for him to show colleagues that he remains energetic and engaged, and that he intends to reclaim his committee post in January and take charge of the Obama health-care agenda. Some Democrats had speculated that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) would attempt to assume the chairmanship of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) rolled out his own health-care bill days after Obama was elected, and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) also expects to be a leading participant in the effort to establish universal health care.

Kennedy has a head start on them all. Despite his illness, he directed his staff months ago to begin work on legislation that would vastly expand health coverage, a career-long goal of his.

But as the economy has worsened, attention has shifted to measures aimed at creating jobs and stabilizing the housing market. Obama is particularly eager to advance his alternative energy agenda.

Kennedy acknowledged the competition. "There's some major issues, obviously, the economy and also environmental issues," Kennedy said on his way to a staff meeting, where he was greeted with cheers.

"But the president-elect has indicated that this is going to be a priority, and I certainly hope it will."
Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does TK's plan jive with Obama's expanded plan, which is sort of like an HMO for people who choose to opt in to it and/or poor, unemployed people? If so, I am for it.

Note - the number of uninsured people I reckon will triple with the current job losses. Remember, for each head of household that looses their job, there likely are three or four other people (wives, kids, etc.) that simultaneously lose the health insurance as well. Then, if there is a break in coverage, when they can afford to get insurance, they all may be subject to waiting periods and exclusions for pre existing care.

It's a mess that is only going to get messier

To add to that, the health care sytems likely will have their hands out for 50 billion or so in the next year.

Again, instead of all this BS coporate welfare, I say it would have been cheaper to give every single American $100,000 and force that money to go to paying off mortgages and then other debt per household. That would have at once rid us of the bad mortgage debt, put money in the hands of the consumers, and likely been cheaper than the ultimate cost of placing capital in the hands of the corps. that obviously are doing business as usual with out money. But, there is no chance for the execs to steal money under my plan.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will I have the option of opting out of this new Kennedy plan?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank God I am a Cherokee and have coverage provided to me via the tribe, because otherwise I would have zero coverage with Debbie's passing (Even beforehand, For Deb to add me to her comprehensive coverage would have cost an extra $400.00 a month) and after the health scare I had last week I would royally be FUBAR'd waiting for the US govt. to FINALLY cover everyone in this country (Which is as likely as the Cubs winning the World Series, Dick Clark & Ed McMahon showing up at my front door with my 'Publisher Clearing House' $10 million check and the US economy recovering within the next 4-8 years)

And if anyone wants to know what poor people think of health coverage, all one had to do was be in the line at the IHS (Indian Health Services) clinic I was at this past Friday morning - let's say Native Americans DONT have ANY KIND words for others in this country (The OPEN use of the n-word and other racial remarks was a surprise to me)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 11-18-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Will I have the option of opting out of this new Kennedy plan?
In what respect Charlie?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love the profile picture Chirs ..I knew you'd come around.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well, she loved Clinton's first eight years and Obama has hauled all those people back in

Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
In what respect Charlie?
In this respect: I want to keep my employer-sponsored coverage, all things being equal, & I don't want to participate in or pay for a supplement or alternative.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I fell for him at the nomination speech. I guess it just took seeing him in person. And the girls are adorable and I love that Michelle shops at some of the same stores that I do.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Well, she loved Clinton's first eight years and Obama has hauled all those people back in
To be fair, I was never a fan of NAFTA. Doesn't it make sense for O to hire people who are familiar with the game in Washington? Carter made the mistake of not doing that and though I think he is an honorable man his presidency was a failure.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To be fair, I was never a fan of NAFTA. Doesn't it make sense for O to hire people who are familiar with the game in Washington? Carter made the mistake of not doing that and though I think he is an honorable man his presidency was a failure.
I think that reinstating the Clinton Administration gives the appearance what the promised "change" was a sham. But, I agree that the actual policies he puts forward will and should be where the "change" must take place regardless of the old guard Obama ran to to implement the change.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In this respect: I want to keep my employer-sponsored coverage, all things being equal, & I don't want to participate in or pay for a supplement or alternative.
My understanding is that you will not have to participate. I cannot say for sure as the specifics haven't been unveiled yet.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My understanding is that you will not have to participate.
If that's the case, I support it mightily!

I think a helluva lot more of modern life in the public sphere ought to be funded & provided on an opt-in basis.

OPT-IN -- THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE

moviekinks.blogspot.com